1936 Ford School Bus Build (with 5.9 cummins)

For how much? Inquiring minds wanna know.

I was about to post I saw a price after re-visiting the thread. Sorry to see your not going to get to complete this. Your gonna have to find a very passionate bus luver to take this one on.

I will be getting some more pictures, but the most recent pictures that were posted is pretty much it's current status. Some of the panels are being held on with Clecos (which are not included). None of the panels that were removed have been reinstalled yet. Basically, some seam sealer and lots of rivets of your choice and you can have the sheetmetal done pretty easy, most of the panels are already made.

It has crossed my mind. Be my luck I would sell my Galaxie about the time you sold th bus. I've built this thing in my head right down to every nut, bolt, color, interior.

Well, my sister has a hairbrained idea to start a food vending business, she had thoughts of using the 'normal' step van/box truck, or maybe a shortbus. Well, we ran across this, she fell in love with it for the obvious reasons, it's COOL. The plan is to swap a 5.9 Cummins into it with a 5 speed transmission, get it driveable, and just drive it for awhile and slowly put the stuff required to make it a 'food' truck. Her plan (and reason for building this bus instead of a step van) is the have a 'hold' on the high-end weddings and such, to do catering to those type events, as well as car shows, and the normal around-town stuff during the week. It will definetly take ALOT of work and ALOT of money, but I feel once it's done she will have a great business, as the bus is a definite eye catcher, so everyone will remember it. I think the catering at special events will be the main money maker as opposed to the day-to-day type of stuff. Anyways, on to the pics:

View attachment 47873View attachment 47874View attachment 47875View attachment 47876
So did the business take off ? Do you still have this bus? Interested in selling?

Well the bus is officially sold. Sold it to a local guy that wanted it back before my sister bought it. All the parts are at his house but we haven't pulled the bus out of the barn yet. It hasn't seen sunlight since probably 2013 at some point. Really dusty now too!

I hate to see it go but also glad to see it go, I have too many projects and the bus is a HUGE project I will never finish. Luckily I will be able to still see any progress made on it and maybe have a ride in it if it ever does get finished.

First time it has been out in the sunlight since when, 2014?

I guess now based on what I bought it from her for, and what I sold it for I can finally say I have been paid for the labor I put into it! Whohoo! Only took 10 years.

IMG_20220714_154835515_HDR.jpg

Pictures don't do it justice to how bad the steering setup looks. The welds are as bad as the design. I'd be ashamed to say I owned a 'hot rod shop' if that was the work I pumped out. Much worse that they used a mustang 2 steering rack.

But as for the rest of the bus, about 1000 rivets to hold the roof and sides on and it will look much better.

Yea I REALLY wanted this thing when I saw it. I would have found me an old Dodge cab and chassis frame and tossed the old stuff. What I really need to do is get back on my tilt master project!

Yea I REALLY wanted this thing when I saw it. I would have found me an old Dodge cab and chassis frame and tossed the old stuff. What I really need to do is get back on my tilt master project!

You would have been taking a step backwards to do that. There was nothing 'old' about the frame aside from the front suspension being from an 84' chevy. A dodge rear axle would have been about a foot too wide. The guy we got the bus from had looked high and low before he found an axle that fit under it without the tires sticking out the side. I get the feeling the current owner is just going to rivet all the panels on and resell it. I am not sure he will get the steering fixed or not, we will see...

That was my assessment from the armchair. šŸ˜„ so for now I will continue to resist in favor of completing the Tiltmaster. Really do want to finish that bad boy. Lots of time and money tied up Iā€™m that. Planning on resurrecting it after I finish my brothers CJ5

But who knows I can always park it next to the Tiltmaster. They could be twins. Itā€™s a sickness really. :lol:

Back