19.5 Heavy Duty wheels and tires

Straight from the DMV handbook:

Class A: Required to operate a combination of vehicles that is exempt from
CDL requirements when the towed unit has a gross vehicle weight rating
(GVWR) of 10,001 pounds or more.
Class B: Required to operate any single vehicle that is exempt from CDL
requirements with a GVWR of 26,001 pounds or more, and any such vehicle
towing a vehicle with a GVWR not in excess of 10,000 pounds.
Class C: Required to operate any noncommercial single vehicle with a GVWR
of less than 26,001 pounds; and a vehicle towing a vehicle which has a
combined GVWR of less than 26,001 pounds operated by a driver 18 years old
or older.

So if you read through that, to tow something with a gvwr of 10k+ you need a Class A.

Sounds like I need to go talk to a smarter DMV officer.

As my husband said your a non commercial truck,under 26K, His complaint is RVs, you can go an buy a bus RV with a car or trailer with no CDL or training. He has pulled doubles out of FL to NC with no problem. 3500 Dodge with 20' trailer flat towing a SJ Jeep.He had a a class A up to his accident when he lost his arm. Try leaning non commercial rules unless its a business.?

I know several people that have run 19.5's on single wheel trucks to up capacity. Its real popular with the slide in truck camper crowd. I also know @gavan had them on his excursion pulling a trailer very similar to yours....
excursion.jpg

The best deal I've found was these wheels
19.5x7.5 Black Wheel Vision Hauler Single 8x6.5 886821117628 | eBay

One thing I know about 19.5 tires is you have to spend some money on them to get good ones. Cheap Chinese tires have major problems balancing.

I will admit driving a DRW daily sucks at times but in time you learn how to make the big booty bitch fit in most places, just use the mirrors as curb feelers. Banks are about the only place that are a no go most of the time. I'd don't think I'll ever go back to a SRW, regardless of load rating (to an extent) I'll always trust 4 tires more than 2.

I don't think I could go back to a single wheel truck either. Having a dually has spoiled me personally.

Back