12V vs. 6.0 debate

yoder519

well i finally landed a job where i got some spendin money left, so i figured it was time for a tow rig/DD. i use to have a 98 24V cummins and loved it, but had to sell it last year.

my choices are a pre 98 Cummins 2500, 4wd, 5spd, prefferably RCLB. or a early 2000s chevy 2500 6.0, auto or manual, RCLB. we got a 6.0 at my work and we towed about 9500lbs worth of block the otherday and i was blown away at how good it pulled it.

id be towin my yota, and block, gravel, dirt and everyday things. i probably dont need a 3/4 ton, but im gettin one. i kno the Cummins will get better mileage, but maintenance and parts are higher. so, lets hear yalls opinions, maybe some of you have sold one of these to ge teh other. if so tell me why

im kinda leanin toward the 6.0 now. i can get a 03ish 6.0 for what i can get a 97ish cummins for. but id love to have another cummins and throw some injectors, exhaust, fuel plate etc on though.

yea CTDs are sky high. and yea itll be financed. i still cant make up my mind

I had a 6.0 and loved it, towed great and like said before you can't kill it. I traded it for my duramax i got now, definetly no complaints there ether.

12V all the way. simple. realiable. and easy to make power. But really up to you, i would put my 12V or 24V against ANY tow rig of its time.

DON'T get a 6.0. I got left stranded by one this past weekend...and last year....and the year before.

Seriously though, get a Ctd or Dmax.

well i believe im gonna hold out to get one til May 2011. that way ill de outta school. my buddy has a 05 ECSB 6.0 chevy he said hed sell me when im ready. its base model which i love, rubber mat, manual windows/locks, levelin kit, american racing wheels, auto. 65k mi. said i could have it for 12k. seems like a good deal? i found a ECSB 6.0 the other day that was a 5spd, but its more then im wantin to spend. im wantin a reg cab, but the ole lady dont like that idea

id go on and get at least an extended cab, later on youll be wanting the extra room. and the longer the wheel base the better it rides and tows. as far as the cummins vs Dmax i dont know a whole lot about Dmax sept that 03-05 had terrible injector problems, and the Allison trannys are hit and miss, some last for ever, some dont. i had a buddy bought a brand new 04 Dmax and the tranny didnt make it to 1000 miles!
Cummins 12v is all mechanical and easy as hell to work on. me and a buddy just rebuilt his in his back yard. he has a fuel plate, stacks, and an intake, some other odd and ends, and can pull anything he hooks to and still gets 21 MPG. all that for $125 vs. a $500-$800 chip for a Dmax to do the same

So everyone is on the same page ...6.0 doesn't refer to a powerstroke or dmax...it's a vortec gas motor. So not necessarily apples to oranges.

Unless I'm just way off base here.

I've never messed with a 6.0 gass but have messed with a 6.0 diesel if you tow anything with the 6.0 Diesel you will be fixing it soon they just don't last if you have to have a ford diesel do yourself a favor and get the 7.3L me myself I'm a Dodge man recommend anything cummins except 03 (bad injectors/first year) they will absolutely last forever as long as you change the oil. And the Dmax is ok good power but when they start having problems its one thing after the other till you've almost rebuilt the whole thing. Only thing on the trans for the dodges is never get an automatic unless its a 6spd in the new trucks. I've messed with alot of diesels so i've tried to give some info without being too one sided.

What about the new dodge automatics? I've heard nobody discuss them.

In all honesty, i cannot imagine buying a 10+yr old truck with auto (any manufacturer) and expect not to have it rebuilt for preventative maintenance.

oh yea id never get a auto 02 or under dodge period. neither cummins or gas. a guy at a local offroad shop has a 99 RCLB Cummins, the whole truck is herculined, its settin on factory 3rd gen dodge wheels with 37 toyos. its got a small block in the back and the front has longer springs and the axle moved froward a hair. its got an auto from a 06 cummins. i wouldnt mind having it. keep the opinions comin!!

Back