07 JK 3.8 manual trans regear 4.56 or 4.88 35" tires

fourwheelinj1

Need to regear my jk as it currently has 3.21 and 35's which is horrible. This is a weekend toy that sees mostly country road trips to the lack and around town driving with small trail use. I was thinking 4.56 for the 35s because that seems pretty standard but I have been reading that with the weak 3.8 that 4.88 might be better. Thoughts? 6th gear is currently worthless and its not easy to get going in 1rst on an incline.

Need to regear my jk as it currently has 3.21 and 35's which is horrible. This is a weekend toy that sees mostly country road trips to the lack and around town driving with small trail use. I was thinking 4.56 for the 35s because that seems pretty standard but I have been reading that with the weak 3.8 that 4.88 might be better. Thoughts? 6th gear is currently worthless and its not easy to get going in 1rst on an incline.

This current thread might help you Wifes JK gear ratio?

Being a 3.8 I'd go 5.13 for anything 35 or bigger. If your's was a 3.6 then I'd say 4.88s would be fine.

Yeah I saw that but since mine is a 6 speed manual instead of an auto I didn't know if that would change things.

More about the 3.8 vs 3.6 really. The 3.8 is very underpowered, I would certainly go 4:88 and even consider 5:13 like Chris said.

The OD in the manual trans isn't nearly as tall as the OD in the auto trans. It's about .8 vs .67.

4.88s with 35s and a manual trans is going to be a gear-banger for sure. I'd only go higher than that if you had an auto trans.

You'll be fine with 4.88 as long as you don't have the excessive weight from steel bumpers, winch, sliders, etc. If you have those items, 5.13 will be a better option. If it's a street Jeep, 4.88 will be fine

What Jody said. That man knows his chit.

Back