06 cummins programmer

firetoy

what programmer should i get for my new to me 06 cummins. 5.9 24 valve. with out blowing the budget.

how many hp you lookin for?
are you gona lift it,change tire size?
lots of chips out there you just need to know what you want it to do
i like the edge or the bd

I went with the juice with attitude just because of everything that the attitude will do and the info that it shows. If you were trying to do it cheaply, xtremediesel has the quadzilla xzt on sale for 239 right now...

Also, congrats on the new truck.

thanks for the help, i don't plan on lifting it. one thats some what cheap. that would give me more power for towing.

The edge's are really nice if you dont already have guages. They are a little pricey for the little performance compared to a custom chip.

Another on the little less expensiver side is the superchips flashpaq. They are good hp for dollar. Plus they are upgradable via the internet.

Smarty by Mads Electronics works well on trucks with manual transmissions but it is not one of the cheaper ones, But it does give you the ablity to recalibrate speedo for tire size and also read check engine codes.

Smarty by Mads Electronics works well on trucks with manual transmissions but it is not one of the cheaper ones, But it does give you the ablity to recalibrate speedo for tire size and also read check engine codes.
Do u need to run a upgrade lift pump with a smarty.

On 99-02 i would upgrade lift pump even if staying stock just because that is a known problem on them. The smarty is designed to work on a stock truck though with out any mods. After having mine though I would say stay on the lower settings of it or drive easily unless you have a upgraded clutch or trans because it builds power and torque down low you could fry a stock clutch or converter if you have a heavy foot. But after getting mine there is no way I would give it up on a 5 spd or 6 spd truck. There are chips out there that give it more power on vp44 trucks but driveablity is the part I like for towing. Plus the 2-3 mpg increase.

i will take a look at the edge. it would be nice to have the gauges.

the smarty box is a bad box. it is really strong but it is an uploader rather than one you can adjust. it is deffinitly not cheep when you factor in the gauges.

TS Performance MP-8 works very well on the Cummins!Also,anytime you add a module,programmer,etc.it's a very good idea to atleast get a Pyro Gauge,so you can keep a eye on the EGT's.Good Luck!!:beer:

Hey Tim, "Dustin from ncttora", you have joined us on quite a few runs now. Get up with Kyle(CUMMINSDZL1) he is a very knowledgable person when it comes to CTD's.

Smarty dynoed 490 hp and 820 ft lbs on my truck. Stock turbo, but you better have an aftermarket clutch or trans if you want to make those numbers. The smarty does not do fuel pressure, so you stack the ts mp-8 cip with it, which does fuel pressure only, for well over 500 horsepower. You're gonna need gauges, cold air, and exhaust if you're gonna run that tho. I would also recommend at least a 62/12 turbo and a fuel system of some type.

Smarty dynoed 490 hp and 820 ft lbs on my truck. Stock turbo, but you better have an aftermarket clutch or trans if you want to make those numbers. The smarty does not do fuel pressure, so you stack the ts mp-8 cip with it, which does fuel pressure only, for well over 500 horsepower. You're gonna need gauges, cold air, and exhaust if you're gonna run that tho. I would also recommend at least a 62/12 turbo and a fuel system of some type.

What settings on the smarty were you running?

What settings on the smarty were you running?

SW#8 170 hp no timing wild tq mgmt. Marco and Bob are working on a new software that should be out shortly. Rumors are added fuel pressure but not enough to damage injectors or the relief valve. Also rumored it will be in the 220 hp range.

I'm kinda skeptical of the 490 hp tho. It was on a mustang dyno, which I know is not as accurate as a dynojet, but they measure in different ways. A bully dog power pup with crazy larry and torque dog dynoed at 444 the same day, so I am very pleased with the numbers compared to that. The crazy larry alone is advertised at 230 horsepower. I'm not sure if the bully dog is overrated or the smarty underrated, or both.

There is also a smarty jr. that is coming out soon. It will be basically the same as the smarty, but with 3 settings, somewhere around 30, 60, 100 hp. The price will be lower for those of you that don't want to make huge numbers but want the quality and undetectability of the smarty.

I figured you had the smarty cranked up, those are some good numbers..

Smarty seems to be the way to go on these 3rd gens. I would like to up the performance on mine, but not to that level, unless I had the $ to upgrade the trans as well.

I have an 06 dodge cummins with an edge juice with attitude and a FASS fuel system, which you will definatly need. I just slipped my stock clutch the other day and i only have 35,000 miles on it, so you definatly need to upgrade the tranny as well. I love the chip though, its got plenty of towing power.:Rockon:

Back