05 trunda problem (help plz)

K9guy

2005 tundra xcab , lifted 3 in with rancho ready lift ,285s.The lift was on it when I got it , everything was fine , then I noticed the km2 on right was wearing a Lil weird. Took it in for a frontend alignment, the did some Lil adjustments and moved it a few degrees on both side. Now when I turn to the left at about any speed I get a "rotating vibration and sounds" and feels like a square drive shaft kind of feeling, also if you go over a hump in the road at about any speed and the front end starts to come up it make the same "rotating vibration and sound" . It sound like sometimg that's moving and rubbing. I put new axles in the front, new carrier bearing and it's still the same . I hope this makes sense to someone or it's happen to someone and can help with the fix. I'm out of options. Thanks

Last edited:
Oh and I took it back to the shop and they said they have no idea, that a alignment would not cause the problem I have, even though it wasn't there before.

Last edited:
I just put new axles in it , still could be that I'm sure . I did just order a diff drop for it . I will try the rotation , then the 4wd , thanks guy I'll get back to ya.

Ok so I didn't get to rotate the tires today but I did lock it in 4wd and if you stomp the pedal and the front starts to raise up it's worse then it is in 2wd , bad (new) axle(s) ?

It would seem to me that if the problem is worse when the suspension is in droop that you could put the rear axle on Jack stands and the front frame on stands with all tires off of the ground and put it in gear and visually inspect where the vibration is coming from. I would suggest having an assistant to sit in the truck and moderate speed. Also be sure to test stability of your stand positioning prior to beginning inspection (ie run the truck to where it vibrates while you're in the truck as opposed to under it to see if it will shift and fall.

Superior idea is to mount a go pro camera and go for a drive.

Well I rotated the tires, put the toytec diff drop on took the wheel spacers off and still the same. I wasn't comfortable with putting it on jack stands but I tried . I'm thinking maybe the axles or the front diff, still open for suggestions.thanks

After reading lee's post about the clam bearing I checked the drives side shaft and it has some play in it, not sure if it's bad or not and I can't up load the video on here For some reason, But I will try to get the video uploaded somewhere . But the noise and vibration doesn't go away in 4wd it gets worse.

I'm no Toyota guy, but that definitely looks bad to me. I could see that making some noise for sure!

Just got around to fooling with the tundra . So I have some pix and a video to post , pix will come then the video when I get it up loaded. I have a local guy who is convinced it's the aftermarket cv, but nothing shows wear.

Attachments

• IMG_0004.JPG
    IMG_0004.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_0005.JPG
    IMG_0005.JPG
    92.9 KB · Views: 214
Ordered the reverse clam bushing and puller from east coast gear , they hooked me up on the price . So we will see if that fixes it.

New east coast bushing , same result. I'm starting to think it's the aftermarket axles. Tundra for sale ..... or sas ?

Last edited:
Normally, the answer is ALWAYS solid axle it, but since it's a Tundra...I'd sell it :D

Well I am gonna put the old axles back in and see if that fixes it , I have so much money in this truck that I love . I just put ome timing belt,all the pulleys , tensioners , water pump ,Drive belt and plugs . New axles , east cost reverse clam bushing and seal , carrier bearing and it was in point until I got an alignment. Frustrated I am.

Thanks for all the help guys, . I fixed the problem today thanks to some research on the ol web and friend . So the issue was aftermarket axles , put yota axle back in and the problem is fixed . About to order hi angle CV boots for the inner and call it a day.

New high angle boots from Offroad solutions on factory factory toyota axles, all problems fix it's like we again.

Attachments

• IMG_0155.JPG
    IMG_0155.JPG
    131.4 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_0156.JPG
    IMG_0156.JPG
    130.5 KB · Views: 179
I normally won't install boots but that is excellent for the application, though I wonder how close to the angular limits of the joints you are.

Back