05+ D60 Radius Arm Suspension Practicality

DannyH

smokey burnouts
I noticed Barnes and Ruff Stuff offered the kit pictured below and I’m trying to decide if it’s practical for anything more than a few inches (4-6) of travel. I’m sure it would work perfectly on the casual mall crawler. If I’m thinking correctly, all of the axle flex would be driven through bushings and it would still require a panhard. Maybe someone can school me with some thought on this.

068C9AF8-22CF-4361-A07F-1E2F4CB9428E.png

649AA5A0-E422-4AA5-A0E9-BAF4AC9F485B.png

Yes, the 4 links will fight each other during articulation. Rubber/poly bushing will give you enough flex. And yes, a panhard will be required, as the radius arms offer no side to side control.

Yes, the 4 links will fight each other during articulation. Rubber/poly bushing will give you enough flex. And yes, a panhard will be required, as the radius arms offer no side to side control.

Pretty much exactly what I was thinking. Was thinking maybe there was something I was missing.

It flexes pretty decent. That's about the same setup That's on my truck with the WFO kit.

If you snag the stock radius arms from the truck I’m sure you could mod them for a lot less monies. If they don’t look cool enough then just slap on some Metallica stickers…plenty of surface area on the sides.

I see a lot of guys on the solid axle FB pages use the stock, Ford arms. They're just SO hideous and bulky. To get the caster anywhere close to right, the mounts would hang down probably 8" lower. 🤮

There's a guy on Hardline that used the ruffstuff radius arm kit on his xj and just runs one upper. It seems to flex well and well pretty good. His is a trail only rig.

Basically same as the wristed arms from years back. Plus side for running both uppers, is that you might not need to run a swaybar.

I see a lot of guys on the solid axle FB pages use the stock, Ford arms. They're just SO hideous and bulky. To get the caster anywhere close to right, the mounts would hang down probably 8" lower. 🤮
But Metallica

There's a guy on Hardline that used the ruffstuff radius arm kit on his xj and just runs one upper. It seems to flex well and well pretty good. His is a trail only rig.

We had to do this to a Proffits Cruisers radius arm kit on an FJ40 many moons ago. It bound up like a mofo until we removed one “upper”.

Back