04 cummins. Looking for pro's cons over other models

Josh C

I like the idea of 4 doors but am open to other options. RIght now curently looking at an 04 style with an auto and 4wd. Anything to watch for specifically.

03 HOs and early 04 HOs got better mileage than most. In 04.5 they made a few small changes and upped the HP to 325 from a previous 305. I can't really feel a difference in the two.

If you find an 03 or 04 standard output, then its gonna be 250 hp i believe, and that is a major difference you can feel. Some of those early 03 SOs came with the 47re tranny which isnt nearly as good as the 48re (which is ok, but not spectacular)

I would just look for the nicest one you can afford with the lowest mileage. They are good trucks, my current 04.5 went to 97k before i replaced the brake pads for the first time. Only thing i can think of to look for is a leaking water pump. Seems they like to start leaking somewhere between 60-100k. No big deal to change, just something to think about.

I've enjoyed my '03. The '03s and early '04s should be lacking head rests in the back...I've replaced my rear seat back with one from an '04.5. The front ball joints will wear out but the mileage when that happens seems to vary all over the map.

Ditto on the lowest mileage, cleanest truck you can afford.

NC mog I think the ball joint problem on these is more from running larger tires like the 315's but It sure does make one look good. Think im going 315's next time over my 295's on my second gen and just worry about the ball joint problem when it comes.

NC mog I think the ball joint problem on these is more from running larger tires like the 315's but It sure does make one look good. Think im going 315's next time over my 295's on my second gen and just worry about the ball joint problem when it comes.

NO, bone stock and mine are gone, never been off road, say towing to group camp has been the worst.

Back