03 F250 Tranny ?

tech701

Here goes. I have an 03 F250 with a 7.3l and a 4r100. The truck also has a what I think is a 4" lift with 35" tires that had been installed prior to my purchasing the truck. When I start foward motion from a dead stop I encounter a noticable shimmy (shake). I initially thought this was axle wrap, that the pinion angle was just going way skyward and causing the driveshaft to vibrate due to the universal being stuck in a tight angle. But the more I drive the truck the more I think it is from something else b/c I also have started noticing it when I let off the gas while applying no brakes. The shimmy is also strangely not as apparent when under hard acceleration from a dead stop. What could be causing this? Could it be the tourqe converter? The tranny itself shifts nice and firm with no noticable slipping and my tranny temp guage is cool, normally less than 150 degrees.

I don't know if this is it for ya, but I know that the intermediate sprag in the 4r100 is prone to busts, and starts off like this, eventually it will skip 2nd gear and the OD light will begin to flash if this is what it is, ford has since designed a different style sprag to fix it. Not all of them do it, only if it's been pulling hard is what causes the sprag to break.

I don't know if this is it for ya, but I know that the intermediate sprag in the 4r100 is prone to busts, and starts off like this, eventually it will skip 2nd gear and the OD light will begin to flash if this is what it is, ford has since designed a different style sprag to fix it. Not all of them do it, only if it's been pulling hard is what causes the sprag to break.

Most of the 2nd gear problems were in the '01.

Sounds more like the torque converter w/ these symptoms.

still think its U-joints... what are the angles ? Have you tried replacing them ?

I agree with Mike
I would look to the U joints or carrier bearing for the two piece shaft. They make spacers to adjust it perhaps you may need to take one out and get the driveline a little flatter.

Ok. Thanks, I'll look into these suggestions and let you know what I find. Keep the ideas coming. Also, could someone elaborate on the shims in the carrier for the d-shafts?

If you have a carrier bearing in it (depending what style it is) get a drop kit and this will solve the problem. My crew cab had the same same situation when I installed my lift. The kit come with numerous shims and it is kinda a trial and error, but only takes a few minutes to install.

quit raggin on it and itll stay together :fuck-you:

I mentioned this to you at the shop but I forgot to take a look at it. Under the truck, the 2 piece shaft, where the carrier bearing bolts to the frame, it should have a few spacers between the mount and the frame to lower the driveshaft angle some to make up for the lift height angle change. Im willing to bet you have none. If you dont have any we can whip some up and put in.

Ok. Thanks, I'll look into these suggestions and let you know what I find. Keep the ideas coming. Also, could someone elaborate on the shims in the carrier for the d-shafts?

I finally rolled under it and had a looksy and found that someone had already put a 1" shim (spacer) on the carrier to lower it. So........ I shaved a .25" off the shim and reinstalled it. It seems to have fixed about 75% of my problem. Think I'll tweak it a little more tomorrow. Hey, how do I get one of those cool little pictures to go under my screen name???

Back