03 F250 Tranny quit!!

OMalley

I have an 03 F250 with the non-problematic 6.0 PSD and the supposedly "greatest trans FORD ever made" 5 speed auto. However, my tranny has only 40K miles on it and has now COMPLETELY gone out. Dealer was of NO help and only wanted 4K for a new/reman trans :mad: . Since I only have 40K on the first trans, I am not overly enthousiastic about putting in another piece like it. I have called Brians Truck Shop, but he is approximately 1 month away from having a trans ready. Does anybody have any other reccomendations out there other than factory or ATS?

I know rich is in lots of love with his DTT. I'm sure once you talk with him you will NOT want an ATS. I can't tell you much more, just thought this would possibly put an idea in your head until someone more knowledgable replies. Bump for you.

Josh

ATS has shitty quality control - they grew way too fast. I detroyed a 15,000 mile old "Stage 4" trans with a truck making maybe 200RWHP, towing a 3000 lb trailer. Crap parts made it into their build, and they wouldn't admit to it... voided the "warranty".

Not sure who is the leaders for Ford trannies, but the DTT trans is my truck is awesome.

My question is how is a 2-year old vehicle with 40k out of the powertrain warranty? They void it because of something you haven't told us about?

Josh - for what a built trans costs, it better do everything BUT love me back! :D

most fords are 100k engine, 3/36 on the rest of the truck... I also can't see how a tranny would be toast that soon.

Was the truck chiped or modified ?

wow.. only 4,000 miles over? If it's not chipped or anything like that, I'd get the regional manager involved.

(I thought the engine warranty was "powertrain", not just engine..sorry)

Had same luck, tranny gone at 41,5xx on '04 (since sold) bought from DJ ford, their service manager was a total d*ck, exact quote "that timing really stinks, that sucks for you, you realy could not have beenlucky nough for it to go out 1 month earlier"AFter restraining from beating the hell outta him, I finally, got some help out of Clinton ford in RockHill,SC...Unfortunantly their service manager has since left after like 20 years :(
They did as Rich suggested and got regional involved fixed tranny at $0 and even gave me a loaner truck (Ok..Ok.. it was a ranger not a truck :) )
Try another shop, yell scream, and if that doesn't work, talk to the sales manager, they are usually more concerned with customer satisfaction (referals) than a service manager.

Exploderpilot said:
no aluminum to melt down .

:lol:

Yeah, because it gets over 1200* inside a transmission. There's PLENTY of aluminum in a transmission..

squeaky wheel gets the grease with stuff like this... i wouldn't take no for an answer assuming there's nothing you left out (like any mods, etc.).

I have a edge 5 stage chip that I keep on stage 3 and I have a performance exhaust sys. That's it. I tow (not often enough) a 6000 lb jeep on a 1500-2000 lb trailer perhaps once a year. I do get on the throttle sometimes but never for an extended period time (EGT's get too high too fast before I can have any real fun) I don't have propane, nitrous, bigger turbo, etc. Since I only have 40K on the tranny, I am not excited about putting in the same damn thing that I have now. I have gotten a quote from Suncoast with the larger, finned oil pan, better clutches, better torque converter, and a revised edge programmer that is supposed to work in better conjunction with their tranny (Better more firm shifts, no more lazy half assed shifts) etc. I will probably go that route since I am planning on keeping this truck for atleast another 100K miles.

DTT trans

Also, who makes the DTT trans??? I REALLY appreciate ya'lls info on most of this. Yes I searched "DTT trans" and came up with some listings for it but no clarification on it.

Thanks Again!!

www.dieseltrans.com

DTT trannies are built by each local builder, to DTT's specs, but the valvebodies are assembled at DTT. Gives you a better point of contact should you have any issues, you won't get the canned "pull the tranny, ship it back to us, and we'll have a look" stuff, which means 2 weeks without a truck.

With your chip installed, repeat after me: "I am my own warranty station"

Oops, it would appear DTT doesn't do Ford trannies, just a torque converter.

I know Rich hates ATS, but thats what is in my f250. It works very well and Ford IS their specialty. I give it hell and constantly tow about 8-9K with it on 35s w/100hp program on it.

I do agree that their quality control sux though. Mine was shipped and leaked from the front pump immediately after the install, but they did the right thing here and even gave me a free methanol inj. kit for my trouble.
I suggest the BTT OR THE ATS.

CHECK THEDIESELSTOP FOR MORE GOOD RECCOMENDATIONS.

I have a 2001 F350 that I am getting ready to put on ebay ( http://raleigh.craigslist.org/car/125296613.html ) ... I had the same problem at about 61K miles. I installed a transmission from www.levelten.com , it was one of the best investments I ever made ... very tuff transmission. If you go this route make sure you replace the torque converter and flush the coolent lines going to the radiator. When mine went there was a bunch of crap in the fluid, I rinsed the entire system and blew it out.

Back