Anyone have a big propane tank at their house?

spraypaintman

My new house that I have purchased has a large propane tank that is rented from a local company. What kind of costs are you all finding on average per month if any of you guys have this setup. It runs the furnace, water heater and gas logs. I am wondering if it would be better to buy my own tank and have it filled as needed. The previous owner rented the tank and paid $160 per month to keep it filled as well. Thanks for any info :beer:

Can you get natural gas where you're at? My house had propane when I moved in and it paid for itself in a year converting to natural gas.

I have one but it just runs water heater and gas logs. The propane company owns it and they just stop by periodically and fill it up and send the bill. They ususally come monthly in the winter (maybe 4 trips) and maybe twice over the summer. Runs about 150 for the average fill up. That water heater and furnace will use some fuel in the winter so if you're thinking about buying a few 100 pound tanks and filling yourself, you might be doing it more often than you think. If it was just logs Id say go for it.

If you can get natural gas, i would switch to that and convert your existing equipment.

I have one but it just runs water heater and gas logs. The propane company owns it and they just stop by periodically and fill it up and send the bill. They ususally come monthly in the winter (maybe 4 trips) and maybe twice over the summer. Runs about 150 for the average fill up. That water heater and furnace will use some fuel in the winter so if you're thinking about buying a few 100 pound tanks and filling yourself, you might be doing it more often than you think. If it was just logs Id say go for it.

If you can get natural gas, i would switch to that and convert your existing equipment.

We had a 250 gallon tank at my last house for the furnace, and this was about how it went for us too except the summer visits. We also put a 250 tank at the current house for a future generator, but for now it just runs the gas logs, so the gas bill has been pretty low lol.

Duane

I have a big tank underground that used to run the stove and HVAC unit along with the gas logs. When our unit went out we replaced it with a heat pump and went ahead and replaced the stove with an electric stove so we could get off of propane all together because it was cheaper to run all electric.

Mine isn't leased, we own it. Didn't stop Holding Oil from coming and filling it up randomly and then trying to charge me $400.

Rent a 250 gallon in ground tank for $65 per year. I chose this option due to if something happens and it dumps the gas itā€™s on Suburban propane and not me. Also get a special discounted rate on the fill ups as well and they come twice a year to fill it.

We have 2 100 gallon tanks. They were here when we bought the house. It only runs our gas logs in the winter. We go through about a tank or tank and a third of the other one every winter. I get them filled in the summer when propane is cheaper or when Suburban propane is having a sale.

One thing to consider, if you own it, you're responsible for any maintenance or repairs. If they own it, it' s on them. What's the longevity of the tank and it's components vs the cost and cost of rental? you may be better, you may not. A Propane tank that I can't carry up to the store and swap isn't something I'd want to fuck with personally.

One thing to consider, if you own it, you're responsible for any maintenance or repairs. If they own it, it' s on them. What's the longevity of the tank and it's components vs the cost and cost of rental? you may be better, you may not. A Propane tank that I can't carry up to the store and swap isn't something I'd want to fuck with personally.
There's really nothing to go wrong as long as The regulator is yours. There's like, one fill/check valve and that's it. The main valve stays open all the time so it's not really in play.

My gas company sent a letter this week saying that they were going to start charging $100/yr for my tank lease. Im getting ready to put in my own tank and tell them to kick rocks. Kinda ticked me off. When they own the tank, you typically pay 10-15c per gallon more for the gas anyway. With your own tank you can shop around. Why the heck should I have to pay a yearly lease for the pleasure of paying you more for my gas??

Got 3 I own 1000 gallon for house 500 gallon for shop and generator and 250 for spare as it came in the 500 and 250 deal. Paid 1.35$ last June of 23 this year filled last week for 1.50$ per gallon plus tax. Local mom and pop propane operation. I call around every time I fill which is once a year and mom and pop are always cheaper, plus the don't charge BS fees and delivery etc.

There's really nothing to go wrong as long as The regulator is yours. There's like, one fill/check valve and that's it. The main valve stays open all the time so it's not really in play.

My gas company sent a letter this week saying that they were going to start charging $100/yr for my tank lease. Im getting ready to put in my own tank and tell them to kick rocks. Kinda ticked me off. When they own the tank, you typically pay 10-15c per gallon more for the gas anyway. With your own tank you can shop around. Why the heck should I have to pay a yearly lease for the pleasure of paying you more for my gas??
A lot of gas companies now are starting to refuse to fill tanks they dont own.

Back