Driving vehicle after purchase from out of state

Loganwayne

#BTL
Guy wants to buy me Jeep but is unsure about what he needs to do to be legal. Can he go to dmv and get a temp nc tag if he’s from out of state?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If i were him I'd just bring a tag off one of my own vehicles. Biggest thing is to have insurance on it. May not be legal but doesn't draw attention like not having a tag.

I bought my wrecker in Florida on a Sunday and called my insurance company on Monday and added the insurance and drove it home towing my vehicle home without tags no problems even crossed the scales with it. Just have your paper work to show them you just bought it you shouldn't have any problems.

I've driven a few home without tags. Just play nice and show them you just bought it.

If i were him I'd just bring a tag off one of my own vehicles. Biggest thing is to have insurance on it. May not be legal but doesn't draw attention like not having a tag.

While a lot less likely to be noticed, it's a lot more legal trouble if you do get caught!

At least in Virginia, If he has a blank piece of paper folded in thirds like a letter taped to the inside of the rear window, most police will just assume it's a transport permit and ignore you, Since it's just a blank piece of paper, you aren't committing fraud or "Fictitious Registration" by having it in the window.

When I bought my f150 last year I drove it home with no tags. Didn't make it a mile down the road before I was pulled over lol. I just showed him the bill of sale and title and he let me go about my business.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

My granddad bought a commercial truck in WA state several years back and drove it home, to NC, with no tags. It has air brakes but he let his cdl lapse a year earlier and didn't get them renewed before he flew out to get the truck. When he got home he realized that his license was expired also. The only thing he did right was put insurance on it. The horse shoe stuck up his butt had to have come off a Clydesdale.

Back