Allison Trasmissions - where are you ?????

Yay!Gurrr

Better Faster Stronger
1) Who has one? and 1000? 2000? 2200? 2400? 2500?
[ If you have a GM product, 2500/3500, yes, I know its awesome ]
2) How many miles you got?
3) Who rebuilds them ? Shop? or private ? [ RDU area ]
4) Any places to check out ?
5) Any mods, shift kit, ECM etc. Stand Alone ?
6) Any Ford(Cummins) /Allison folks out there ?
7) 5 speed or 6 speed ?
8) Brake on it ?
I'm building a 300hp slow moving RV.
Yes, I've got my old ambulance back (paid for).... [miss you bud, BigJuggy :\ ]
I am going with an Allison (yes i have one, but ...)

I have three 26000lb gvw trucks with 2500 Allisons. Two of the trucks have had one or two trans each in the last 100k miles. The 3rd truck, I paid $13k for. I’ve spent almost $40k replacing broken transmissions in it. Fuck a 2500 series Allison. These trucks gross around 17000lbs most of the time. Run away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The allison is going into a 10.5k truck, pulled by a 5.9, I hope I'm good.....
The slow moving part was about me :)

My trucks have a paccar px6, which is essentially a Cummins 6.7.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@adamk has over 400k on the original trans.

8.1L with the Allison 6 speed. Blows the doors off of everyone when we tow somewhere.

If I'm not mistaken, the 1000 and 2000 series are essentially the same internals with a different bellhousing and tail shaft housing. That being said, you can build one to hold plenty of power and abuse from towing and get some damn good torque converters for them. Sounds like a worthwhile investment in something heavy, but not exactly cheap. It should definitely have a good sized cooler on it as well.

The one in my Duramax powered truck has 280k on it and is bone stock. I'm past ready to have it built though. The stock torque converter leaves a lot to be desired in the ways of putting power to the ground and decent fluid coupling.

Mike, I have a 02 Chevy 2500, with the 8.1 and Allison. Best driveline set up I have ever had. With a slide in camper on the back pulling right at 10K worth of Jeep, tires, spare parts and tools, on a 22' trailer with 7200# axles, it pulls like nothing there, and I keep up with or stay ahead of most of the diesels. The big difference is when we compare fuel tickets on gallons used.
Love the Allison!

Just about all The fire trucks we service have either a 3000 or 4000 series EVS spec transmissions. They hardly ever give trouble if you keep them maintained properly. Keep it cool and and the fluid clean and they will last a long time.
P.S. Anything after 2007 in a GM is not built by Allison. It’s licensed by Allison but built by a GM subcontractor. GM used to own Allison till 07 when they had a pretty bitter separation and one of the things GM demanded was they were able to keep the Allison name for their hd trucks.

Back