8k or 10k trailer?

Should I buy a 8k or 10k trailer to haul my Ranger?

• Total voters

Andy J.

Doin’ it LIVE
I'm looking at the Kaufman trailers in the 18-20' range and can't decide if it's worth the extra $$ for the 10k over the 8k. The heaviest thing I'll use it for is to pull the Ranger to club rides. I don't know the curb weight on the Ranger, but I'm thinking 5k? Theoretically, the 8k trailer should be sufficient, but the 10k trailer gets you 12" brakes vs 10" on the 8k.

The 8k trailer should be a little lighter (around 150-200lbs I'm guessing). I'm pulling this with a gas v10 Excursion, so weight is a consideration.

Boiled down, I have the question framed in my mind as: Is it worth $350 to get bigger brakes and an extra 2 ft of deck length?

p.s. I have other questions about equipment trailer vs car trailer, but I left those out in order to not further muddy the waters. Those questions are more about features like fold up ramps and drop-leg jacks.

I'd go for the 20ft 10K, make sure you get the deluxe model (Doubt they'll have the std ones on the lot anyways). The weight difference between the two will probably be minimal as in those lengths I think the frames are essentially the same. You are more than welcome to come hook up to mine, it's a 20ft 15k and weighs every bit of 3k. The one's you are looking at I'd guess are 24-2600.

I bought my trailer on here a few years ago from @loganstoy and it's been a good one (I think it was a BDB member's before he had it as well). It's an 18' 10k buggy hauler with slide-in ramps.

Currently looking to sell it for a 20' 14k (and hoping I can scoop one up from work before it heads to auction on the cheap along with a 28-30' GN but that's another story for another day).

For me, I'd like to have something a bit longer and heavier in case I want to throw a bigger truck on it vs. my 4Runner. That said, it'd also be nice for an add'l 2' with I've got the 4Runner on. With a toolbox up front and the "sweet spot" for weight distribution...the 4Runner rides exactly even w/ the back.

Heavier capacity trailers ride like a tank without the weight on them. Buy the trailer for the weight your hauling. And like @Chris_Keziah said, spring for the Deluxe. It’ll have the radial tires which will make a drastic improvement to the ride.

Last edited:
I would love to have a 20’ 10K trailer. My trailer is currently at max capacity, and no room to spare. When I get a 1 ton V8 rig I will need a new tag along trailer for sure.

Borrowed a tractor this year and had to also borrow @Chris_Keziah trailer to move it since mine wasn’t rated for the weight (or long enough). His trailer is certainly heavier than mine and beats the crap out of you empty. But no one buys a trailer for how well it pulls empty. I can feel the difference in how his pulls when it’s loaded.
Point is, you never know what you may be hauling in the future, or if you gotta haul a buddy, or your tow rig, or equipment, etc. go right to 10K. No less than a 20’

If you're hauling it far enough for that to matter, let some air out of the tires. It'll ride like a caddy with 35psi in the tires.

Never was a fan of airing down trailer tires. ST tires are designed to be operated at max inflation or at least within 5 pounds. Things like tread wear and fuel economy start factoring in.

I bought my trailer on here a few years ago from @loganstoy and it's been a good one (I think it was a BDB member's before he had it as well). It's an 18' 10k buggy hauler with slide-in ramps.

Currently looking to sell it for a 20' 14k (and hoping I can scoop one up from work before it heads to auction on the cheap along with a 28-30' GN but that's another story for another day).

For me, I'd like to have something a bit longer and heavier in case I want to throw a bigger truck on it vs. my 4Runner. That said, it'd also be nice for an add'l 2' with I've got the 4Runner on. With a toolbox up front and the "sweet spot" for weight distribution...the 4Runner rides exactly even w/ the back.

If that is the trailer with the gray decking paint...That trailer was a custom build. Same frame as one with 3500# axles, but with the 5200# axles. Built by T&W trailers, over in the Baton Community(between Rutherford College, and Lenoir. That was actually my design. ie: heavier axles, lighter trailer, sides extended out to the fenders. David Minton was the original owner, before Chris. Both BTW are BDB.

I highly recommend T$W trailers to get exactly what you want. He will build it to your specifications. Reasonably priced and you will have it within a week usually, or less.

I'd go with the 10K or, like was said above, straight to the 14K. You never know what you will be hauling.

I had T&W build mine.
22', 7200# axles, extra 1' of tongue, extra tie downs. and one spare.
My Heep weighs in right at 6K, two full size tool boxes, fuel cell, battery, winch, and Generator, are all mounted on the trailer. It also has 2 trailer spares, and a truck spare, as well as a full sized 43SX when I head out for a trip.
So, yeah, I pretty much hit about 80% of it's capacity.

No success, like excess

Andy I will say that the way Kaufman has there pricing it's almost forces you to buy the 20ft 15k deluxe. Think mine was $4400 or so out the door which was only a few hundred over a 12k deluxe.

Andy I will say that the way Kaufman has there pricing it's almost forces you to buy the 20ft 15k deluxe. Think mine was $4400 or so out the door which was only a few hundred over a 12k deluxe.

calling around when I was looking, every maker was higher, and that was for what they make, custom jobs like mine, well, some didn't even want to discuss it. With everything I had done/changed widening the deck out to the fenders, extending the tongue, extra tie downs, 7200 pound axles, 22', with a spare, extra LED lights, Out the door, $3800
I have had zero issues, and it was built exactly like I wanted. I wanted it to be my last trailer. I am happy

calling around when I was looking, every maker was higher, and that was for what they make, custom jobs like mine, well, some didn't even want to discuss it. With everything I had done/changed widening the deck out to the fenders, extending the tongue, extra tie downs, 7200 pound axles, 22', with a spare, extra LED lights, Out the door, $3800
I have had zero issues, and it was built exactly like I wanted. I wanted it to be my last trailer. I am happy

I know they were cheaper. When I bought mine I needed it quick, Kaufman is 30 mins from me and keeps a ton of trailers in stock.

Ride down to Kaufman and pick one up on a Friday. Give me a heads up, and I’ll treat you to a killer meal at a local spot that won’t be out of your way. Smoked bone in pork loin. Has to be on Friday though, that’s the only day they do it. You won’t regret it, and you’ll be happy with your trailer too.

What they all said...

If that is the trailer with the gray decking paint...That trailer was a custom build. Same frame as one with 3500# axles, but with the 5200# axles. Built by T&W trailers, over in the Baton Community(between Rutherford College, and Lenoir. That was actually my design. ie: heavier axles, lighter trailer, sides extended out to the fenders. David Minton was the original owner, before Chris. Both BTW are BDB.
Yep, this is that trailer and it's great.

I just want...

22', 7200# axles, extra 1' of tongue, extra tie downs and two spares.

Oh yeah. And get it in a tilt model too

I have been curious about the tilt models. What are the biggest benefits? Able to load low clearance vehicles or just the over all ease?

I have been curious about the tilt models. What are the biggest benefits? Able to load low clearance vehicles or just the over all ease?

Everyone has their preference, but after using a few, its just like a towable rollback. For loading/unloading equipment, unless you need it to be 102" W like a deckover, you're not driving up and down steep ramps. Some of the titties model tilt trailers can be made 102" wide with drive over fenders. MAXXD makes a few models like this. No dealing with ramps that need to be moved back and forth all the time for different width loads. Really a lot of nitpicky convenience stuff.

Take this with a grain of salt as its coming from the guy that has been trailer shopping for a few months and cant make up his mind between a tilt equipment trailer or a deckover with mega ramps. :lol:

Take this with a grain of salt as its coming from the guy that has been trailer shopping for a few months and cant make up his mind between a tilt equipment trailer or a deckover with mega ramps. :lol:
PJ T8 deckover tilt. Solves all the problems.

Back