Trailer ramp latches

braxton357

Robot
I know it's pretty specific but has anyone come up with a better solution than these $60 turds that keep breaking for holding the ramps down?
20191107_154053.jpg

Is that just for vibration or is it a legitimate concern that they’ll flip 180 degrees?

Okay, here you go:

1. Click here: McMaster-Carr
  2. Click on "Draw Latches"
  3. Scroll down to "Weather Resistant Draw Latches"

If those can't handle the vibration and movement you need, then the latching aspect is not the actual problem.

Buyer's Products also makes some universal rubber ones for truck hoods that are very similar and quite cheap. Hood Catches and Latches | Buyers Products

If you're going to use something similar to what you already have, you should get a "hold tight" version that has springs built in. But I'd really recommend the rubber type that I've linked above, which can handle a lot more relative motion because they're rubber.

Last edited:
trailer is a piece of shit.
Just tell me when and I will haul it away for you. Then you can buy a good one

Okay, here you go:

1. Click here: McMaster-Carr
  2. Click on "Draw Latches"
  3. Scroll down to "Weather Resistant Draw Latches"

If those can't handle the vibration and movement you need, then the latching aspect is not the actual problem.

Buyer's Products also makes some universal rubber ones for truck hoods that are very similar and quite cheap. Hood Catches and Latches | Buyers Products

If you're going to use something similar to what you already have, you should get a "hold tight" version that has springs built in. But I'd really recommend the rubber type that I've linked above, which can handle a lot more relative motion because they're rubber.

After load trail wouldn't send me any more latches, mcmaster is where they have come from. I was envisioning jeep hood latches when I posted this and the buyers products' version is probably the ticket.

They won't flip over when not latched but they make a hell of a lot of noise and scare small children, women and dogs. And drive me crazy.

After load trail wouldn't send me any more latches, mcmaster is where they have come from. I was envisioning jeep hood latches when I posted this and the buyers products' version is probably the ticket.

They won't flip over when not latched but they make a hell of a lot of noise and scare small children, women and dogs. And drive me crazy.

I like the designs of the McMaster rubber ones better than the Buyer's ones (there are a few that are almost the same), but the Buyer's are cheaper. I can't remember what brand the McMaster ones are, but they say somewhere on either the part or the packaging IIRC.

Also, you could probably put some snubbers or isolators on the ramps to make them a bit quieter at those contact points that are far away from the hinge.

Put a rubber pad on the trailer. Just a couple well placed pucks. Or even HDPE or something.

Well placed binder, strap, or tire. Maybe all three at once!

Keep it simple. Keep it useful when not held down by loaded material or vehicle. I vote an extra well placed strap. Could even serve as a useful spare when needed.

Or weld a heavy truck style winding strap to the rail. Crank it down on the ramps or across a load when needed.

fe9a410f971910f38b2c0eb077001c58.jpg

Would this style of Pull action clamp work.
$30 on amazon
5d61e2b0198c479865a8d5b67f043493.jpg

The first one is virtually identical to the one that is currently on there, according to the picture. They're not meant for vibration and will get the piss beaten out of them under load/vibration. The "hold tight" versions of clamps like that have a coupling spring, which helps a lot but is still not a great solution because they can't take a lot of relative motion (the spring travel is limited, and then they lock solid). For something like a trailer that twists around a lot, that's not a great thing.

If it were mine I'd throw a strap over for awhile. I'd eventually take and weld a nut to the frame and a sleeve to the ramp and make a larger handle for a bolt to bolt the ramp down. Still will need some plastic pads to keep the ramps from rattling.

PJ Trailers are pretty pricey but they seem to have solved this issue with $40 in material

You're a fart smeller. I'm sure you have enough BS laying around to whip up this setup in an hour or two.

monster ramp latches.jpg

Back