F450 CCLB Insurance question

77GreenMachine

Phillip Talton
760D0E13-FF6D-4947-8AB7-1B7C5D400982.jpeg
Found a screaming deal on a 2011 F450 and my buddy is going to buy it. Problem is it is owned by a company and was used for their salesmen and they delivered stuff. It is registered as a commercial vehicle and had DOT numbers on it.

I’ve called the DMV and the lady said it’s registered commercial only to that business but when the title goes to him it becomes private. I don’t think she understood or bothered to truly look into what I was asking.

However insurance will see it as a commercial vehicle and will need a business policy to carry insurance on it. Anyone dealt with anything like this? He just plans to use it as a driver to haul his family and crawler hauler to go wheeling. I know people get big rigs converted to RVs and such. Seems like if this thing is not being used for profit it should be able to be registered as a pickup but some people are saying it depends on how it was registered when purchased new.

What say you NC4x4?

^^ yeah, I fail to see why it makes any difference whether the previous owner used it for commercial business or not.
People buy used rental cars all the time. Same scenario. And there's no requirement for it to be insured commercial solely b/c it is a 450.

I had a Dodge 3500 dually that a used for person towing. However, the state viewed it as a commercial vehicle which meant I could not renew my tag on line and had to come by in person. Insurance on the other had was strictly a personal policy.

I fail to see why that would be the case myself. A guy in my neighborhood has a platinum F450 as his daily. but I’m being told by a few people that it depends on how the title got registered when new.

I could see that being the case if it were a cab & chassis truck but it has a regular bed. Waiting to get the VIN and my buddy talk with his insurance company to confirm.

Interesting, I've been looking at the f450's too. Wasn't aware of the ins. issues. I guess I need to call my Ins. company and get the low down.

My insurance company deems anything with a gvrw over 10,000lbs to be commercial and requires a commercial policy. Kinda sucks but isn't that expensive.
My insurance man told me a similar thing when I bought my last F350.

I had a non commercial policy on an F7000 with 29k GVWR. Bought it, put it in my name, called Allstate and said I needed insurance, gave them the VIN, end of discussion. Added to my personal policy. Was pretty cheap, $160/year if I remember correctly.

It will be considered commercial by the insurance company just because of the size of the truck. The title doesn't matter; there actually is no different "commercial vehicle" title. I had an F450, currently have a GMC 4500. I found state farm to have the best deal on full coverage. Geico would only write me liability.

I have a commercial policy on my f550 from state farm and it isnt much more than my f250 was

Perhaps it’s really up to how the insurance company decides to handle it? If one won’t insure it without a business policy, move on to the next and shop around I reckon.

So I was about to say I was super jelly of all the larger than 1 ton trucks you guys have. Then I went all ADHD and am trying to determine what this truck purgatory is...larger than a one ton. Is it a heavy light duty or a light medium duty truck???

So I was about to say I was super jelly of all the larger than 1 ton trucks you guys have. Then I went all ADHD and am trying to determine what this truck purgatory is...larger than a one ton. Is it a heavy light duty or a light medium duty truck???

F350 and above is medium duty.

My F-350 was a cab and chassis truck and had one digit in the VIN that was different than a regular truck. According to my insurance lady that digit signified that it was delivered as an incomplete vehicle. She insured it as a commercial vehicle but the insurance premium was no different than a regular truck.

Buddy of mine had a ram 5500 C&C with a C&M flatbed. Automatic commercial even though he used it for personal use. Policy wasn’t any different cost wise than a regular truck once all the intricacies were hashed out.

Don't church it up @77GreenMachine.
Tell dude to buy it, call his insurance company, give them the VIN, add to policy and rock out.
Whatever it once was to a previous owner means nothing in regards for how the new owner insures it.

it depends on the insurance company. I got the VIN and sent it to my agent today just to ask, she confirmed it needs a business policy. However it seems that isn’t quite as costly as we thought. He is going to shop around for insurance this week, as it will be later this week before he can get the truck.

it depends on the insurance company. I got the VIN and sent it to my agent today just to ask, she confirmed it needs a business policy. However it seems that isn’t quite as costly as we thought. He is going to shop around for insurance this week, as it will be later this week before he can get the truck.

Business is different from commercial coverage. Commercial insurance is stupid expensive...
Guess I should have been more clear. In my defense, I was pooping.

So um... yea why don’t you tell me where it is and I will um... yea help him out with his problem. :D You know like inspect it by adding it to my insurance policy and stuff like that

All you guys saying it's not much different, what are you paying for your commercial insurance? I'm paying $950 a year for full coverage for my 4500 topkick, my last truck was a chevy 3500, same year, and it was only $450 a year through geico. My insurance doubled to move up to a medium duty truck, and geico won't do it so I had to get state farm

All you guys saying it's not much different, what are you paying for your commercial insurance? I'm paying $950 a year for full coverage for my 4500 topkick, my last truck was a chevy 3500, same year, and it was only $450 a year through geico. My insurance doubled to move up to a medium duty truck, and geico won't do it so I had to get state farm

full coverage on both or just liability? $450 a year seems like just liability.

My gf said there's no difference between a business auto policy and commercial auto policy. Just depends on what the carrier calls it. So there's that.

She's an insurance agent.

Back