I am a hypocrite and I know it

I will admit, I am a hypocrite. In my teens I had a flow master on a 4.3 GMC Jimmy and a 4.0 ZJ. I thought they sounded great, loved hard accelerations and going under over passes just to hear it... I was the man!!

Well you know what?? That crap must have annoyed people to no end just like these kids today are annoying me. Case in point, taking my kids to school today and I am like what is that racket? Keep hearing it, I am assuming some clapped out POS car had its exhaust fall off. Nope. A high school kid on his way to school with a Nissan Frontier with the exhaust dumping out from a 4” tip right in front of the passenger rear wheel. Sounds like two rats fighting in a tin can trying to get out. Boy was he proud of it too, saw me looking at it and gave me a thumbs up, I shook my head and mouthed “no”.

So TL/DR: I am now my father haha
As my dad use to tell me... If it's too loud, your too old. :flipoff2:

I’m not against loud, I’m against loud obnoxious things that sound like crap. A healthy V8 sounds good and I love to hear one bangin a few gears, but I don’t wanna hear a ragged out V6 Ford Ranger, or a busted civic, and nothing is worse than this current fad of running huge pipes on a gas truck with straight pipes and making it “clap” it sounds horrid.

Cherry bombs attached to long tube headers w no tailpipes ,on a 10.5 pistoned loapy solid camed 289 were pleasant to hear.....until i stomped the peddle. Then the loud roar and scream was a symphony that any man,young or old would love to hear.

Raleigh has an abundance of ricers running so rich the car constantly backfires while driving down the road.....it is so constano and frequent I am beginning to think it is the new trend in place of fart cans.

I had a K20 with a 250 straight 6 with headers, a 4bbl, and a muffler with built in X-pipe....sounded awesome and tips ran out past the bumper, still miss that rig! Now the banks cat-back on the XJ has a bit too much drone for me.

First vehicle: CJ5 with 304 and side pipes to glass packs...less the glass. The sound was magical.

These clapped out 4 and 6 bangers have always made me cringe. However, I'm not my father, in that I soon hope to get that very setup going again in another CJ :huggy: to annoy my neighbors and get the "NO" from soccer dads :lol:

Meadowlands peeps will love you!

Wow this thread makes me want to straight pipe my cherokee or flowmaster 40 it. Jk

Seriously when I had to replace my muffler this was my biggest concern was choosing one that wouldn't be too loud. I still wanted a good sound but not blow my ear drums and wake up the neighbors loud. A guy at my college had a Cherokee and you could hear him a mile away as he came around the mountain.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

So I do want to preface my original post, I love a GOOD sounding exhaust on the appropriate vehicle, I will even roll down my window to hear one on the road... what I am against is the CRAPPY exhausts on anything, they are just loud and obnoxious.

Except for a few outliers, nice exhaust tones come from a V8 and not from the 4 and 6s that I hear most of the time. I will be the first to admit that the V10 exhaust in my dodge sounds like two inline 5 cylinders having a farting contest and I despise it, but time and money will fix that.

Brought back memories too many years ago. Sbc with huge cam, 2-4s, 4 speed shifting at 7200. I used headers with 2 Corvair turbo charged mufflers dumping down in front of rear end. Quiet but thumping idle. When it opened up all hell broke loose. Now I can’t get my big block buggy quiet enough

Years back, on a CTB ride, several of us stayed at a motel. It snowed overnight. My CJ / 304, with dual cherry bombs & dual exhaust, was idling, to warm it up. I didn't think it was Loud, but I had backed in & backed up to the next room. An elderly lady with a robe on stuck her head out their door, & asked me, "Do you have to do that?".. Woke them up! I said Sorry, turned my CJ around, & backed across the parking lot.:lol:

I have been full spectrum. When I first got my Jeep it had long tube headers and glass packs out the side with a small block. Switched it to shortys and true duel exhaust with 40 series turned down before the axle. After that got completely annoying I went with a single exhaust 18 or 20” Dynomax super turbo muffler (single in dual out) with a high flow cat. It was quiet for sure. Like stock anything with a Chevy V8 quiet. Switched that for a shorter 16” magnaflow turbo muffler. That was quiet until you got on it, but still wasn’t loud at all. Now with the links and stretch I had to change it up again and have a side body exhaust. Went with a magnaflow 14” bullet muffler. It’s louder for sure, but sounds great with no drone. Exiting the passenger side only helps too. I think it’s the perfect mix.

This was my first test drive back in May.

Maybe someone told these kids that those coffee can exhaust can make more Hp...

Don't think it really makes a difference, but if want more Hp on a budget, here is one option.

Coffe Can.jpg

What do you think, maybe an extra 20 Hp?

I too am getting old I guess lol. While back I took the new flowmaster off my 95 Suburban 350 TBI, sounded great, but after a month of highway driving I couldn't stand the tone at 70 so cut it off, installed a muffler from a 2018 4cyl turbo mustang and I LOVE IT. Great tone that you only hear at WOT, otherwise now back to quiet sound, I can hear the road noise and suspension stuff and I don't have to blare the radio anymore lol.
I also loved the flowmaster on a Jeep 4.0 but in my current rig, I put that same mustang muffler on my ZJ with 4.0 and it actually sounds amazing but quiet enough to hear myself and the obstacles under me and it's dumped right under the jeep!
Nowadays I only like loudness on a muscle car/hot rod, anything else nah..put a muffler on it lol

Maybe someone told these kids that those coffee can exhaust can make more Hp...

I remember in the late 90's when Beaterz.com came online and we all flocked there weekly to see the newest Biggest douche-mobile on the "net"

Many MANY folgers exhaust examples

Back