4.0?

BIGWOODY

My YJ 4.0 has gotten louder over the past year when hot (rattle) . Could be cam bearings, timing chain, wrist pins etc... I'm not really sure. It holds 20psi oil pressure when hot, but sounds like shit. I've got an LS1 and other parts to do that swap, but I don't think that's what I want to do. I don't want to have a project going on forever, so I think I just want to get a stock reman long block. Yes, I own a shop and have built several 4.0-4.7 motors in the past, again I don't want a long drawn out project. I'd buy a good used 4.0 , but that seems to be a total crap shoot. So who's got the best deal on a long block? I'd spend a little more and get a stroker if that was an option.

Eastwood has stock compression and no frills strokers for around $2500 last I checked
Otherwise it's Jasper, ATK, etc for OEM stuff.

“I don’t want an LS1” said no one ever, until today.... lol

Greg is the only person I've met that had more irons in the fire at once than myself.

Trust me...you get to that age/point in your life, [insert "ain't nobody got time for that" lady]

Greg is the only person I've met that had more irons in the fire at once than myself.

Trust me...you get to that age/point in your life, [insert "ain't nobody got time for that" lady]

Oh I get it, I just thought it was funny. The whole world (including me) is always screaming LS swap everything.

If I were in his shoes I’d be the same way. I’d yank the motor, take it to Kannapolis Engine Service, pick it up a week later and throw it back in. All new Enginetech gaskets and a 1 year warranty for around $1,000. They probably already have rebuilt a 4.0 in stock to swap out.

I know a couple of people that including myself that has used them with great success.

https://enginepartsandmachine.com/

My YJ 4.0 has gotten louder over the past year when hot (rattle) . Could be cam bearings, timing chain, wrist pins etc... I'm not really sure. It holds 20psi oil pressure when hot, but sounds like shit. I've got an LS1 and other parts to do that swap, but I don't think that's what I want to do. I don't want to have a project going on forever, so I think I just want to get a stock reman long block. Yes, I own a shop and have built several 4.0-4.7 motors in the past, again I don't want a long drawn out project. I'd buy a good used 4.0 , but that seems to be a total crap shoot. So who's got the best deal on a long block? I'd spend a little more and get a stroker if that was an option.

Just went through this myself. I ended up using a buddies shop account and ordering a reman (0 mile) from LKQ. I called Jeep to get a factory reman and was told they no longer can get them from jeep but that they used the new LQK reman program. LKQ just sells them but they back them with a 3 year unlimited mile warranty. I purchased mine put it in a weekend and its been running great over the past week.
Not sure what the cost if you buy it as a customer but it was roughly $2300 dollars with my core charge included and the core was $300 bucks. So all in all about 2g's. I put everything new on it be it sensors, gaskets, starter, water pump, thermostat, plugs, wires, cap and rotor, crank sensor, tps, idle air control, and so on.... All in im about $2500 bucks.

If you want to see pictures of how it came look up my build thread and or if you have any other questions feel free to reach out to me.

I say it all the time.... I'm a an of not being cheap and keeping it pure. I you want a core to have done then swapped in let me know.

Oh I get it, I just thought it was funny. The whole world (including me) is always screaming LS swap everything.

If I were in his shoes I’d be the same way. I’d yank the motor, take it to Kannapolis Engine Service, pick it up a week later and throw it back in. All new Enginetech gaskets and a 1 year warranty for around $1,000. They probably already have rebuilt a 4.0 in stock to swap out.

I know a couple of people that including myself that has used them with great success.

https://enginepartsandmachine.com/
$1050 and they're about 30 minutes from me, this is what I was looking for. Quick, affordable and a 2 year warranty. I can turn this around on a weekend. Now I've got to find someone to put syncros in my ax-15, 4th gear scrapes as of a couple of weeks ago!!!

$1050 and they're about 30 minutes from me, this is what I was looking for. Quick, affordable and a 2 year warranty. I can turn this around on a weekend. Now I've got to find someone to put syncros in my ax-15, 4th gear scrapes as of a couple of weeks ago!!!

So I was wrong and it’s a 2 year warranty? Awesome!

I’m pretty sure rebuilding the AX15 is pretty straight forward. If you have the time you could probably do that yourself while they have the engine, but I have no first hand experience.

Greg did you ever do this? The motor in the MJ is leaking RMS again and we are looking at throwing a fresh long block at it.

Greg did you ever do this? The motor in the MJ is leaking RMS again and we are looking at throwing a fresh long block at it.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/iYM8jE1MhV8cvDtu9 Dropping it off there today, had a little spare time yesterday,finally.

But, I had to send it to Poteat's in Kannapolis as Kannapolis engine service said all his guys stayed home and it would be 2-3 weeks before he could get it done. Poteat's is coming to pick it up at my shop and said less than a week turn around.

Last edited:
Thanks for the update. I know there are re-builders down here closer but I don't know anyone that has used any of them. The only one I have been able to get comments on is Carolina Machine Engine in Johnston, SC and I have heard good and bad things.

Another update. Picked up the motor from Poteats the other day $1150 included a gasket set for the motor and a warranty. I also picked up a NV3550 from a late model TJ that was rolled for $250 with a broken nose cone, replaced it for $50. I replaced the clutch, clutch master and slave, flywheel, water pump, battery and cables,and everything else required with the swap. I had a few days labor and ended up having just under $2k in a fresh motor, later transmission and everything else. It's runs and shifts like absolute butter! It took a little less than a month from start to finish.

Last edited:
Back