Trailer deck wood

Treated 2x6 pine is on most trailers. Works good and easy to replace.

Spring for kiln dried after treatment (KDAT). Typically comes in a #1 grade which is a bit more structurally sound than #2.
Stick with 2x8 as far as dimensions go.
Any real yard (non big box stores) can get them in a couple days through Weyerhauser

I've got to redo mine too.. I was going to coat the wood with truck bed coating.... Thoughts? Why 2x8 I was leaning twards 2x10 I think is what is on mine now....

Treated 2x6 pine is on most trailers. Works good and easy to replace.

You'd be surprised. I have a Kraftsman that had an untreated pine deck, and judging by the number of people that talk about having to replace trailer decks, I'm clearly not the only one. A treated deck should last 20 years if not for getting damaged along the way.

I did #1 KDAT SYP 2x6" on the last trailer, and will do 2x8" on the Kraftsman.

I've got to redo mine too.. I was going to coat the wood with truck bed coating.... Thoughts? Why 2x8 I was leaning twards 2x10 I think is what is on mine now....

Spring for kiln dried after treatment (KDAT). Typically comes in a #1 grade which is a bit more structurally sound than #2.
Stick with 2x8 as far as dimensions go.
Any real yard (non big box stores) can get them in a couple days through Weyerhauser

I use cheap saw mill pine 2 x 6’s since mine gets a lot of stuff dragged on and off of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We used treated 2x12s for ours. Been on several years now and doing good. Used 2x6s on the cattle trailer.

We used treated 2x12s for ours. Been on several years now and doing good. Used 2x6s on the cattle trailer.

Only issue with 10" and 12" wide lumber when used as decking is a very high likelihood of cupping to a point of causing the ends to split lengthwise down the board.
That is the main reason house decking is no wider than 6"

Only issue with 10" and 12" wide lumber when used as decking is a very high likelihood of cupping to a point of causing the ends to split lengthwise down the board.
That is the main reason house decking is no wider than 6"

I can see that. Ours arent used but maybe once a month for cars. But do get used a lot for hay.

If you spend $700 on a shitty metal carport you will get 3x the life. Any dimensional hardware store lumber treated or not will be gone in well under a decade.
I cant agree with this, we have several goosenecks that we haul hay and equipment with and they still have the original boards on them. A couple from the 90s and one from 2005. The trick is not leaving stuff on them, don't leave piles of hay or dirt or let it get covered in mud and leaves and never clean or wash it off.

You'd be surprised. I have a Kraftsman that had an untreated pine deck, and judging by the number of people that talk about having to replace trailer decks, I'm clearly not the only one. A treated deck should last 20 years if not for getting damaged along the way.

I did #1 KDAT SYP 2x6" on the last trailer, and will do 2x8" on the Kraftsman.

Dang. It should still last a while since it's no ground contact. Keeping it out of the sun and keeping wet leaves and trash off of it obviously helps too. I don't have a car hauler, but my 6x10 trailer still has the same boards that came on it in '05. I just flipped them last year since they were all beat up. Mine are CCA treated though.

I stained my Kaufman wood deck one year after I bought it in 2009 and I have had no problem with the flat deck, now the dovetail is starting to rot where it tucks under the frame and the water collects down there.

I cant agree with this, we have several goosenecks that we haul hay and equipment with and they still have the original boards on them. A couple from the 90s and one from 2005. The trick is not leaving stuff on them, don't leave piles of hay or dirt or let it get covered in mud and leaves and never clean or wash it off.

Maybe. I've got two trailers with rough sawn oak deck that is old as shit and still fine. I've replaced 3 other trailer decks with treated (Lowe's) 2x8s in the last 6 yrs and all already look like dogshit again. Sun and rain are not kind to them.

I use Trex decking on mine unlike you peasants.

I use Timbertech because baller
How do you like it? I find the Trex to be a bit stiffer because of the full cross section, but I could see how you would need the reduced weight of the Timbertech with your neutered Cummings
timbertech-vs-trex.jpg

My old 5x8 utility trailer needs a new wood deck. It is 29 yrs old and still has the original treated wood deck. It is still OK for most work, but a small chunk about 2" broke off of one board in the middle and now it loses material going down the road when I haul dirt, gravel etc. I'm not really knowledgeable on treated wood, but I believe they changed the chemicals used about 15-20 yrs ago, so I probably won't get 29 yrs out of the next wood deck I install. I was planning on going with 2x10's or 2x12's just to make installation easier, but maybe I will go with 2x8's since Jody is recommending those.

Just do like my grandpa does and pour some used motor oil on the boards and let it soak in. Don't think he's ever put new boards on it and I think he's had the trailer longer than I've been alive lol. Just don't sit on it or it will turn your ass black.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Back