Stock class XJ build.

Same here, I texted Jody later and then thought “crap, I probably should have been a normal human and introduced myself like an adult”. Facepalm
Well we can all go to DTOR in July and hang out :)

Same here, I texted Jody later and then thought “crap, I probably should have been a normal human and introduced myself like an adult”. Facepalm

It's not your fault duder. @Loganwayne's giant man teets hypnotize many folk. You'll develop a tolerance the more you're around him.

What a Great time at our second race of the season at at adventure off-road park in TN. First I am very thankful for all the family and friends that helped me get ready for this year's race season.

We did have an issues we had to fix before race day while pre running we broke a driver's side axle shaft and lucky for us our buddy Matt from @cutlerfab came in and towed us out and back to the pits so we could fix it and be ready for qualifying.

Qualifying: we lined up and I told Doug let's just do this at 75% because I did not want to break something again. Well we did and to our surprise we got the pole position. (hard charger award)

The other teams we we're helping broken stuff also. One broke a front axle shaft also and the other busted his steering bad. He helped them do repairs and we we're able to all start the race.

Race recap: we started first in our class and while lined up the came by and told us look for a guy with a yellow flag so we can take the bypass. Well we never saw him so we ended up doing the entire same course as the bigger class. Nothing better then bouncing a 4600 on 35's up some big rock trails.

This race course was crazy muddy and sloppy and to make it worse we lost all brakes at the first turn into the race. I knew with a 5 speed I could just throw it into 1st gear and let off clutch to stop which I did and it worked. Sketchy but worked.

After first laptop we pulled into the pit and they found a loose bango bolt so we tighten it and bled the brakes and we we're off. When we got to the first big hill climb the Jeep passenger tire hit a tree and climbed up and as it fell down the front passenger side axle shaft broke.

We winched to the top of the trail and then realized our spare shaft was back at camp not in the Jeep :(

So we turned the Jeep around and helped Dave Cole as a winch point for other races in our class and again for the 4400 race.

At the end of the day we got 2nd place in our class.

Thanks to:
My wife Jessica and my son Corbin as he was my radio guy in the pits for this race.
Doug Johnson and his son Tommy
Joe Murphy
Scott MacIntyre
Sam MacIntyre
Rick O'Shea
Justin Bainey
Scott Roberts
Randal Holmes

Also thank you to my sponsor support:
@ironman4x4fab.com
@East Coast Gear Supply
@Impaks Garage

@Ultra4 Racing
25b1fce3e10eeba7fbffcaac6f0fad79.jpg
Happy to help. And very nice you came through with 2nd place. I hope they continue to have the series there. I think it's a good location and facility to have large events.

.... maybe next time I'll not cut two tires in two days[emoji849]

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Finally fixed the unit bearings so I could drive the Jeep and wash it..

After it was clean I noticed I am hard on the passenger side.

No door handle huge dents etc. Also don't have a muffler any more.
cecb6ca2a5979d98547dc75b4844dcff.jpg

Body hammers?!?!
Always thought those were called "minor electronic adjustment tools," often used on things associated with computers.

Added a little chrome to the race Cherokee. Hoping it takes us from 2nd to 1st in the next race :)

@ironman4x4fab
@eastcoastgearsupply
@rustysoffroad
@ruggedradios
@psc_performance_steering
@impaks_garage
@ultra4racing
#chrome
#racejeep
#jeepcherokee
#jeep
#ultra4racing
#getyahome
#chromeforthewin

372e55e21eaadb6bdec1f0cfdc85754c.jpg

Thanks to a great sponsor we will have no worries about our steering box anymore.
@ironman4x4fab makes some beefy products.

#4620 is almost ready for Oklahoma.
@ultra4racing
@eastcoastgearsupply
@psc_performance_steering
@ruggedradios

#racejeep
#racexj
#jeepcherokee
#jeep
#racing
#raceprep
ed61394fae89e813980125e2cba841d8.jpg

We are all loaded up for our next race

Leaving next Wednesday for Oklahoma.
06c539b73efbb404ffff67584ac9453b.jpg

Another hard fought day racing.

We got stuck in two HUGE mud pits and had to winch.

We broke rear driveshaft half way up a long hill right after we lost our brakes. So we went 25mph backwards into a tree(that hurt)

Electric fan died and jeep started to over heat but we made it back to the pits.

We ended up 4th.

I really need to learn how to keep the passenger side of the jeep off stuff. :)

Time to drive 1300 miles home. Gotta be home for Father's day.
040d4aab0b3d7c6abb3e7d931ee80324.jpg
fa8f4506002cc2963401389512b9169f.jpg
fbaea62f1aa5f73144c250ebac4e83ea.jpg
4ca6ecfed0065e5b346717d5ff47278a.jpg

Sounds like you had a bunch of fun!
Congrats on finishing well.

With regards to loosing brakes...
What about using a dual MC system so that the front and rear systems are completely isolated from each other.
This is what I did for the 914-6 track car.

Dual Master Cylinder Pedal M.jpg

In case of brake failure, my hope is to at least slow down a little before the wall.

Last edited:
isnt this your second brake failure in just as many races? have you pin pointed what keeps causing the failure?

the good news is having no brakes does not slow me down :)

Makes it a little more challenging but with a 5 speed I can control my speed without hitting the brakes. other part failures are my issues(and even the big money races have part failures).. one thing we found yesterday was the front shock ripped out on passenger side and looks to have hit the brake line.. the rear brake line from frame to axle also looks like it got hit.. so not sure which brake line failed.. Once I power wash it and can get a good look I will know more.

Also found it was not driveshaft that actually failed it was the little tabs on Yoke on rear axle that broke which allowed caps to come out and driveshaft fell out.

Looking back at the qualifying times had I not 2 wheel the XJ for 80 feet I would have been on pace for 1st or 2nd in qualifying times. wish I had the go pro on when that happened.

Now we need to get it all fixed so we can kick some butt in Kentucky next month..

Found some footage from the Oklahoma race..

it is only the start lining up and then some of the 1st lap, then the camera was covered in mud for the rest of the race.

When this guy and the torch come together you better watch out. @blackbear for the win on wrench night :)

We also replaced brake caliper and rear yoke

Ironman4x4Fab.com
East Coast Gear Supply
Rugged Radios
BFGoodrich Tires
Rusty's Off-Road Products
PSC Motorsports
Impaks Garage
Ultra4 Racing
e2c44c036db35b8b3a9f67af973b1157.jpg
d192beb5e93c7282f918a0196e6d547f.jpg

Back