Rear axle spindle trashed

BigClay

Knower of useless ZJ things
One of the rear spindles on the dually axle I bought is no good (oblonged and the threads shot). I have done googling and found a company called Axle Surgeons that supposedly fix spindles. Has anyone used them before? Has anyone used someone else to fix a rear spindle? Ditching the axle is not an issue, so only looking for options to repair this one. @Chris_Keziah can help me out with the technical correct terms of what is fubared haha

A friend of mine bought a dump truck and had a comp ( maybe this one) repair the spindle on it.It was chewed up pretty good and I was surprised they were able to fix it.He ran it 5/6 years before he sold the truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have used them in the past on semi trucks and trailers. They did good work.

Spindle is probably beyond repair, outer bearing area is oblonged and chewed up pretty bad. Pics should speak for themselves, best guess is the spindle nut backed off. Spindle end ate the full weight and the axle shaft some.
20190423_190937.jpg
20190423_191006.jpg
20190423_191118.jpg

Yeah I had one on a dually do the same. It was going to cost $1600 to have the new spindle put on. I bought an axle from the junkyard delivered to the shop for $1400

Well that is not what I wanted to hear :(

I ran into the same problem with a rear I bought a few years ago. I can't for the life of me figure out how it happened, but the spindle on mine was not just bent but shifted. The guy I bought it from assumed (like I did) that the caliper was locked down, but once I started taking the bolts out of the shaft and literally had to unthread all eight with a 1/2 drive and a cheater bar, I knew I was in trouble.
A quality cut and graft job will likely set you back more than another complete axle.

Well that is not what I wanted to hear :(
If you have "time" it may be cheaper but I had to have the truck back on the road that same week. Mine was also an AAM 11.50 so an older dana up 80 spindle may be cheaper.

Kinda sounds like something ECGS could do. I'm not sure of the spindle dimensions, but I know Ruff Stuff and probably some other places sell replacement spindles. If they're at all similar to Dana 60 dimensions, they won't be hard to find.

Maybe you could find a slightly newer Dodge AAM 11.5 and slap it under there with not much work.

Carolina Axle Surgeons has an awesome service truck. I see it out and about like once a week.

Kinda sounds like something ECGS could do. I'm not sure of the spindle dimensions, but I know Ruff Stuff and probably some other places sell replacement spindles. If they're at all similar to Dana 60 dimensions, they won't be hard to find.

Maybe you could find a slightly newer Dodge AAM 11.5 and slap it under there with not much work.

Essentially inline with my thoughts. Eye ball tape measure says these look a hell of a lot like the Dana 60U/70 Spindles. I just hate I had a spare set of spindles for a 70 a few months back but scrapped them to make room in the shop because I hoard useless shit. ECGS is suppose to be getting back to me at some point, they said labor wouldn't be terrible but sourcing a good spindle would be tough.

Call Carolina Axle Surgeons out of Thomasville.
We used them a bunch on Dana 80s when I was the dealer.
They will fix it on site, which is a huge bonus.

They were $1440.44 is what he told me over the phone.

Pretty sure it was a GM axle though. The Dodges have a tone ring in the diff, don't they?

Our shop is in the Concord area, a few years ago we had a out of town F350 dually pulling a horse trailer pull into the shop with a bad spindle. I've looked back but can't remember the company's name, but they came out and had a sweet jig that mounted to the housing. He cut and welded a new end on in an hour or so. If I recall it was in the $800 range, parts and all. I'll look back through our notes but I'm pretty sure we found them on the web.

Our shop is in the Concord area, a few years ago we had a out of town F350 dually pulling a horse trailer pull into the shop with a bad spindle. I've looked back but can't remember the company's name, but they came out and had a sweet jig that mounted to the housing. He cut and welded a new end on in an hour or so. If I recall it was in the $800 range, parts and all. I'll look back through our notes but I'm pretty sure we found them on the web.

Sounds like axle surgeon to me

Back