97 ZJ on Superduty axles, 39.5, 4 link, normal fuller stuff

marty79

figured time to start the build thread now that I got the axles and tires and some of other things, still rounding up parts though.
base start: 97 Grand Cherokee ZJ 4.0, Auto, 242, nothin fancy......yet
plan as of now: 03 Superduty axles, 39.5s, 4 linked rear, radius arm front, 10K winch, and hopefully something closer to a "real" cage when done lol.
Haven't done much to the Jeep itself except build the winch bumper and mounted the winch (same 10K winch I had on the other buggy)
So far got the rear axle mostly done. Like usual, all done from 1/4" scrap plates I've always gathered but works well. Yes those coil buckets are the factory top leaf spring plates...Coil springs sit inside them perfect though so it was free and easy to make. Just gotta drill holes in all the link tabs and those will complete the rear tomorrow. Here's some pics of my rear axle truss work, enjoy!!! lol
(little cool story, bought the rear 10.5 and 2 D50s for $300. Well got to working on one and found out real quick that turned out to be a complete D60 and partial D50 so WOOHOO, that was a really nice blessing to find out)
rear axle coil bucket mock up.jpg
rear axle coil bucket mock up 2.jpg
rear axle truss center.jpg
rear axle complete view.jpg
rear axle complete long view.jpg
rear axle pinion view.jpg

I like the picture of the German Shepherd protecting the axle.
Don't think anyone would mess with that axle with him keeping an eye on it.
Are those axle shafts by his side his chew toys?

I like the picture of the German Shepherd protecting the axle.
Don't think anyone would mess with that axle with him keeping an eye on it.
Are those axle shafts by his side his chew toys?
lol yeah she loves to hang out in the shop all day. She's as sweet as can be once she knows who it is, but couple times I've been welding or something and someone has sneaked up on me while working...whew she makes me jump with her bark lol but she's composed though, just does her job to be very aware.

Sweet. I dig the truss, and the repurposed scraps. That's how I like to build some stuff too. Only comment I might suggest is cutting some drain holes where your plates meet the axle tube. Might just be the angle of the pics, but it looks like mud and debris can fall into the holes around the spring seat, and sit in the truss along the weld seam at the axle tube.

Not sure why, but I found humor in this picture: (specifically the level placement)

rear-axle-coil-bucket-mock-up-2-jpg.287135

Oh wow I didn't realize the level was "level" lol. Note taken on spring mounts for draining

I had incredible doubt until I saw this weld. Now it definitely won’t rip off :D

9e7095e638c2f41641550f7c5559ae41.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lol yeah I thought the same thing after said to myself "stupid like that's gonna help"

Why are the shock mounts opposing rather than both on the back or front?
Calipers in the way, plus I'm more or less use them just to kind of give me a real good welding surface for the coil buckets I might not actually end up using those specific shock mounts once it's up under the jeep

John, first of all let me say I have a soft spot for ZJs, and after wheeling two of them, I love them. With that said, they have some major limits and weak spots. Very rarely do you see a true ZJ on one tons with 40" tires. The major reason for this is the unibody, it is thin and flexes like tin foil. The second is the amazingly small wheel wells that are basically one with the unibody. Have you thought about unibody plating and an interior cage? My recommendation would be to concentrate on these two things before throwing the axles under there. If you do axles first, then the first time you go to flex the suspension my money is on you not being able to open the doors with a stuffed front tire.

John, first of all let me say I have a soft spot for ZJs, and after wheeling two of them, I love them. With that said, they have some major limits and weak spots. Very rarely do you see a true ZJ on one tons with 40" tires. The major reason for this is the unibody, it is thin and flexes like tin foil. The second is the amazingly small wheel wells that are basically one with the unibody. Have you thought about unibody plating and an interior cage? My recommendation would be to concentrate on these two things before throwing the axles under there. If you do axles first, then the first time you go to flex the suspension my money is on you not being able to open the doors with a stuffed front tire.
Bruh you talking to the XJ fanatic here. I know all about these unibodies weaknesses and such. Body work will come later. I chose to build axles first cause I'm not ready for full teardown of zj yet...gotta gather plating and links and such for all that. Axles for me are first priority to be ready to go under, then get the links parts and made, driveshaft materials, then I tear down the Jeep once everything is ready to go under. That's just how I do it.

interior cage?
it's going to be a surprise for you and me and everyone else of what kind of cage this ends up with haha

Bruh you talking to the XJ fanatic here. I know all about these unibodies weaknesses and such. Body work will come later. I chose to build axles first cause I'm not ready for full teardown of zj yet...gotta gather plating and links and such for all that. Axles for me are first priority to be ready to go under, then get the links parts and made, driveshaft materials, then I tear down the Jeep once everything is ready to go under. That's just how I do it.

I know you are the XJ fanatic for sure, I swear the ZJ unibody is even thinner than an XJ...

I know you are the XJ fanatic for sure, I swear the ZJ unibody is even thinner than an XJ...
Actually the zjis little stronger overall, more added bracing but yeah they're definitely an art to weld to lol ive gotten good at it but most people always say how they constantly burn right through lol

I like it already! I found out from doing my Sterling truss that the centersection is very weldable as is. Overlap a few cut-to-fit gussets to tie the truss into the axle. There's no reason not to. Looking very good though! You definitely started in the right place with the axles.

got a little done on the front axle today...surprised cutting the drivers side perch off wasn't that bad as expected. got more work to do but it's progress...
front 60 first cut.jpg
front 60 bare perches cut.jpg
front 60 pass perch.jpg
front 60 driver perch.jpg
front 60 truss pinion view.jpg

ran out of materials to fully enclose the truss so I just did some "triangulation" lol..hey I'm learning to get my triangles in there haha. I'm undecided if I want to box in the rest of the truss or leave it as is. It's plenty beefy, probably way overkill

good lord that thing is going to sit a mile high with all that above the axle tube if you want any up travel.
Well it's no higher than factory xj mounts sit and it's level with pumpkin. It'll be alright

Got little more done
IMG_20190301_132832107.jpg
IMG_20190301_120537361.jpg
IMG_20190301_120530017.jpg
IMG_20190301_120523442.jpg
IMG_20190301_120511670.jpg
IMG_20190301_120449169.jpg

This entire section of the truss is pointless. Any strength it provides is unnecessary, and it will only cause clearance issues with the engine.

Screenshot_20190301-140642_1.png

Also, those straight vertical sides of the truss next to the coil pads are going to interfere with the coil springs when the suspension flexes. That's why almost every truss you see has angled sides. Not just for appearances.

Cmon fuller you had a good start on rear and looks like you said fuck it on the front truss!??? Please cut that shit off an redo that mtn heep of triangles! You obviously can make that way better and it function properly, and I’m not Being a dick I swear, but legit I looks like you handed the welder and saw over to yourself 10 years ago and used flat stock instead of trampoline tube...

This entire section of the truss is pointless. Any strength it provides is unnecessary, and it will only cause clearance issues with the engine.

View attachment 287282

Also, those straight vertical sides of the truss next to the coil pads are going to interfere with the coil springs when the suspension flexes. That's why almost every truss you see has angled sides. Not just for appearances.
He could cut those triangles in half and get by it that’s the design he wants... I vote fix that square mess!! Lol

Cmon fuller you had a good start on rear and looks like you said fuck it on the front truss!??? Please cut that shit off an redo that mtn heep of triangles! You obviously can make that way better and it function properly, and I’m not Being a dick I swear, but legit I looks like you handed the welder and saw over to yourself 10 years ago and used flat stock instead of trampoline tube...
I know I know.. Im not too fond of it either. I'll admit kinda lost my motivation for looks on front...been dealing with some crap yesterday. It'll get fixed most likely

Back