Finding the poo

skyhighZJ

Thanks for your taxes
bought the house here in N.C. and I need to find the layout of the septic and field. Do they file the layout with an agency and, can I get a copy? Yes I can go in the crawl space and see where the pipe leaves so I have a general idea and yes I could get a small rod and poke the earth but just was wondering if there is a repository for this kind of thing. Where I’m from (Michigan) you can get them from the health dept. for a minimal fee. Thanks

Depends on how old the house is, and how long they've been keeping records. It's entirely possible that they won't have any records at all.

I got an underground cable locator. You will need a steel sewer snake or steel fish tape. Run the tape down the lines, hook tracer to tape, mark the lines. May or may not work on field, depends if all legs go to distribution box or if single leg goes back and forth. As flat as it is down there, you probably have 4 or 5 legs out of a splash box.

Lemme know when..

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Most county’s have records past 1987. County’s I service offer to Email the records for free (Forsyth, guilford, stokes, Davie, Davidson, Randolph). 1987 my or my not be accurate but will put you in the general direction of system components. I use. Probe or the mentioned “egg” to locate tanks.

Wait til mid summer. Find the green grass

Appreciate all the comments and @shawn I have a spare shovel so you can help once I locate the wet spot lol. I’ll head over and see what the records place has. All I need it for is a general location/ size cause I’m gonna sink some fence posts and don’t want to find the wet spot too soon.

In davidson county, mine was a sketched drawing of the tank with no measurements and the tail lines as a single line. It was bs. FWIW, there is no telling what info you will get.

In davidson county, mine was a sketched drawing of the tank with no measurements and the tail lines as a single line. It was bs. FWIW, there is no telling what info you will get.

So...

You're saying it's a crapshoot?

The "record" for my old house (circa 1981) in Forsyth was literally a (very rough) hand sketch on a cocktail napkin in red crayon!
Assuming the builder was the "artist" explained a LOT of stupidity...

Back