92 2 door XJ build

This past Saturday I stripped down the front axle to replace the ball joints and install a Reid knuckle for high steer. A new axle side track bar mount will be going on as well.

39259677274_0d80ed5416_c.jpg

25099539057_88a8eea53e_c.jpg

Incase you are wondering Adam I think that RE track bar is 3/16 wall. If you want me to check I have a scrap piece from when I cut mine apart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Incase you are wondering Adam I think that RE track bar is 3/16 wall. If you want me to check I have a scrap piece from when I cut mine apart.

I'm not 100% sure if I'm going to use/cut it down or just make a whole new one and sell it. It's funny how much these things are now. I can sell it used for more than I paid for it new.

I'm not 100% sure if I'm going to use/cut it down or just make a whole new one and sell it. It's funny how much these things are now. I can sell it used for more than I paid for it new.
Fairly certain we have enough tube to make a track bar. I vote sell it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Last night I stripped down the driver knuckle to replace the ball joints. Those should arrive today. I also built the track bar and new axle side mount. The track bar is pretty short (27.5") but it fits. It's also not perfectly parallel to the drag link but it's closer than it was. It's right at 2.5 degrees off from the drag link. For the time being I'm just going to use the RE frame side mount I had. I will be replacing it once I order the front frame stiffeners and I'll correct the angle at that time. A big thank to @Chris_Keziah for the help last night. I'm hoping to finish the whole thing up tonight.

28225075509_5f80f615fe_c.jpg

39972423022_2f766fdc21_c.jpg

I got the front finished last night. During reassembly of the driver side I discovered that I had stretched the ears on the stub shaft. The full circle clips definitely did their job and didnt allow the joint cap to fall out. I replaced the ujoint and the stub shaft with one of my spares. Chromo stubs are now on the horizon (already have chromo inners).

39123339135_b7833bfc2f_c.jpg

39123338965_8f538d93da_c.jpg

Why did you mount your ram to the knuckle? All of the hydro assist setups I've seen had the ram mount to the tie-rod. Also looks like you've got heims on your tie rod but TRES on your draglink Pros/Cons to your way? Gathering parts for my hydro assist build and just looking for options.

The track bar is pretty short (27.5") but it fits. It's also not perfectly parallel to the drag link but it's closer than it was. It's right at 2.5 degrees off from the drag link.

Have you looked at trying to get the Trac bar to the knuckle C? I don’t know what the cross section view of you axle looks like but I’ve seen a few people pull it off. If I can keep my coils back I am definitely going to try.

Why did you mount your ram to the knuckle? All of the hydro assist setups I've seen had the ram mount to the tie-rod. Also looks like you've got heims on your tie rod but TRES on your draglink Pros/Cons to your way? Gathering parts for my hydro assist build and just looking for options.

At the time that I installed the ram, I had very little room. It would have contacted the old track bar if I turned it around and mounted it to the tie rod. I will be redoing it in the near future now that I have more room to work with. As for the TRE/Heim...My old drag link angle would kill heim joints very quickly. I got tired of replacing them 2-3 times a year. Also, the high angle TRE allows for more travel than the 7/8 joint with 3/4 bolt. I started with just adding a TRE at the pitman arm and then when I went high steer I added the TRE to the knuckle.

Have you looked at trying to get the Trac bar to the knuckle C? I don’t know what the cross section view of you axle looks like but I’ve seen a few people pull it off. If I can keep my coils back I am definitely going to try.

With the radius arms, the coils mount directly on top of the arms and are centered on the axle tube. I didn't have the room to run the track bar all the way out to the knuckle. If the coil buckets were moved towards the rear, the axle would move forward and I would have clearance issues between the track bar and the drag link on the frame side. I can take a side view of the space if you'd like.

At the time that I installed the ram, I had very little room. It would have contacted the old track bar if I turned it around and mounted it to the tie rod. I will be redoing it in the near future now that I have more room to work with. As for the TRE/Heim...My old drag link angle would kill heim joints very quickly. I got tired of replacing them 2-3 times a year. Also, the high angle TRE allows for more travel than the 7/8 joint with 3/4 bolt. I started with just adding a TRE at the pitman arm and then when I went high steer I added the TRE to the knuckle.

I'm running 1ton TREs on both the draglink and the tie-rod with hi-steer knuckles. I'm assuming you mounted the ram off the diff cover? Any issues with the ram mounted directly to the knuckle? I have plenty of room under mine right now so I can place it on either the knuckle or the tie-rod. After seeing your setup, I think I could run a mount off the axle tube(pass side drop for me) and then run it straight to the knuckle.

I'm running 1ton TREs on both the draglink and the tie-rod with hi-steer knuckles. I'm assuming you mounted the ram off the diff cover? Any issues with the ram mounted directly to the knuckle? I have plenty of room under mine right now so I can place it on either the knuckle or the tie-rod. After seeing your setup, I think I could run a mount off the axle tube(pass side drop for me) and then run it straight to the knuckle.

My biggest complaint with how I've done mine is that there is no adjustment. The ram is fixed, and the mounts are fixed. Looking back, I would have gotten a ram with an adjustable ends so that I could have more room for error in where the mount is welded. The ram is mounted to the diff cover. I've had some people bring up the concern of it causing the diff cover bolts work loose but, in three years, I have never had this issue.

Made some more progress on the jeep. Last week I started the 2x6 rockers. I got the passenger side cut out and the new rocker in. Now I need to make the supports that will go to the frame as well as tie into the cage.

I’ve taken a break from fab work to take care of some other items I’ve been wanting to do. I picked up a new spare 39.5” irok and another H2 wheel so no more worry about tearing up tires.

I’ve also needed to relocate my cb since it was installed. It was just zip tied to the cage because it was done in the dark the night before a ride at the flats. I also decided I wanted to redo my audio. So, tonight I finished the new stereo. There’s no more head unit. I’m running an aux cable directly to an amp. This created the perfect hole in the dash to mount the cb. I picked up an external speaker and got it all ready to go in. Just need to figure out where to mount th speaker before it’s fully installed. I’ll get pics of that once it’s finished.

Attachments

• 74BF450D-9B21-4980-A531-CB41712E0149.jpeg
    74BF450D-9B21-4980-A531-CB41712E0149.jpeg
    121.6 KB · Views: 322
Any updates on this thing?

Not really. Wheeled up at Potts back in July. Broke the driver mirror, driver front stub shaft, and dented the passenger rear corner. I also had an issue with the trans overheating while on the roads from the campground to the trail. A trans temp gauge was installed and all seems to be going well. I believe the over heating was a one time thing due to being aired down and driving through the mountain roads.

I haven't had much time to wheel this thing lately. Wedding planning takes a lot of time apparently. I will be out at the CTB Fun Caravan in a couple weeks.

Yearly update time.

Back in January we went to the flats. 15 min in I broke the driver side axle joint which took out the inner and outer shafts. Replaced them with Yukon shafts, spicer joints, and full circle clips.

In April we went to AOP. Broke a fitting off the hydro ram, drivers mirror, and driver window.

Just after AOP I picked up ARBs for the front and rear and got them installed.

In August we went to Harlan. Destroyed the driver Apillar and windshield on Crawford’s Cry I believe. I’m a dumbass and left the jeep in reverse, instead of drive, and too a giant rock to the Apillar that was going through my window. Also broke the passenger tail light, passenger locking hub, destroyed my half doors, and all 4 of my wheels are now squares.

Two weeks ago we went to Karios in WV. Trip went well until we were quickly trying to get off the trails before dark. Let’s just say we didn’t make it and the Jeep ended on its side.

So that brings everyone up to speed. Now I’m getting ready to tear down the front again. Picked up a weld wedge 44 from a member on here. It’ll be going in with everything from the current axle along with a true 3 link and some Fox coilovers. Hopefully this project will begin just after Christmas.

A423E9D2-929F-41D2-9E5B-2BA90BD9B960.jpeg

6D7ACEAF-7D5C-4AFC-BE0D-56A2D12F9B5E.jpeg

8194B5F3-467F-4D6A-9FE6-5FDCAA83166D.png

ACFAD185-9A66-4F04-8B63-491B5514DA37.jpeg

7A00654F-56F3-41C6-B11B-D92A66D07D32.jpeg

38D3E0B1-E04F-485D-AD4A-7B87B8A097A1.jpeg

F7811EED-1D30-4E58-BD04-46687E289297.jpeg

B354E5FB-3600-4282-9DE6-8FA2F1B017A6.jpeg

Those pics from AOP reminded me how much it rained on that trip... like the WHOLE TIME!!

Back