CJ7 Spring Over with YJ Springs

06MegaCab

I have a 1985 CJ7 with a rough country 4" lift and a rough country shackle reversal on the front. I want to run 35s or 36s and have better flex and after reading around on the internet it looks like I need to go spring over with YJ springs to accomplish this.

My question is what springs should I use if I want to go spring over and run 35s or 36s? Stock YJ or 2.5" lift springs? Also - how wide are the eyes on the YJ springs? I know I have to use new wider shackles but is the connection on the frame rail wide enough to bolt the spring right up or do those have to be cut off and new wider ones welded on?

Also - if I wanted to stay spring under can you run lift shackles with a shackle reversal? I have 1.5-1.75" lift shackles and a 1" body lift that I could use with the 4" lift already on there.

Thanks in advance for your help!

That works for me. Do they flex comparably to YJ springs?

What is the rear spring width? So I buy the correct perches.

Also - what does that bring me to lift wise in inches? I have to make sure this thing fits in the garage.

Has anyone gotten 35s under a cj that is still spring under?

The YJ spring swap is front springs only, YJ and CJ rear springs are the same. The difference in the front springs is an additional 0.5" of width and 1.0" of length.

To do the swap I would purchase these :Shackle Hanger (76-86 CJ) Front - Spring & Shackle Hangers - Suspension - Jeep CJ - MORE

There's no definitive answer on the shackles, whether to use the CJ shackles or the YJ (1" longer) shackles, I chose to use the YJ shackles when I did mine, since you're technically doing a YJ swap...

I am using the 2.5" Old Man Emu springs and could easily fit 32's. I am still spring under.

Also - what does that bring me to lift wise in inches? I have to make sure this thing fits in the garage.

Has anyone gotten 35s under a cj that is still spring under?
I had a 4" spring under lift with 35's. I later went spring over with 2.5" springs when I upgraded my axles. 35"s and a 4" lift will fit in a 7' garage door no problem.

I had a 4" spring under lift with 35's. I later went spring over with 2.5" springs when I upgraded my axles. 35"s and a 4" lift will fit in a 7' garage door no problem.

Good to know! Did you have any issues with rubbing when flexed?

I ran 38's on a CJ5 using the factory rear springs up front in SOA with a BDS add-a-leaf. Flexed great.

Pic when it had 35's.
IMG_9381.JPG

Only good pic I have with 38's
IMG_9382.JPG

For what it's worth, my CJ Is SOA with YJ rear springs and CJ front springs. The rear are noticeably softer than the front, but both will stuff the tires.

@Tater is running YJ leaves SOA at all 4 corners with 33" bias Swampers (comparable to most 35" radials)... aside from a Traction (anti-wrap) bar to keep the pinion u-joint from grenading, very flexy and good ride.

A Rancho brand add a leave spring really helped with spring wrap on a friends CJ I sprung over for him using YJ's on all four corners. We neither one like having to add a traction bar. The designs have improved greatly for traction bars since this build......15 years ago. But adding a traction bar in most cases is a good argument to just link it properly. At this point is the intersection of tire size and equipment combinations of an off road dedicated build. And a REALLY good link system is always streetable and high performing off road.

Back