If you could only lock one axle?

I never would've imagined there would he this big of a split. :lol:
Hell, pick one?

when i had my ranger (that @ProbablyBroke has now) it had detroits front and rear. i def found that steering effort was increased when locked. i know that the "detroit hop, skip, jump" is a real thing for the rear, but i never had a problem with it, but i did have a longer wheelbase than a tj/yj/cj etc. I agree with Mac, lock the front if you have assist. if not, lock the rear.

I would lock the rear, but I see benefits to both. I remember trail running in college with only rear wheel drive and a locker a couple times. Had the front ds pulled since I geared the rear first, needed the jeep on the road. It was that way a couple weeks till the front was done.

I remember trail running in college with only rear wheel drive and a locker a couple times.

I ran most of Potts Mtn in RWD/Lo with the rear locker on occasionally this past trip. I was amazed at what I could do with JUST the rear engaged and locked.

The whole rear VS front locked is about as pointless as wheelbase arguments. I've been on trails where you have some obstacles that are 2dr wrangler traps and some that are 4dr wrangler traps. Neither is perfect 100% of the time. Some obstacles will be better tackled with a front locker vs a rear and vice versa.

My 1st YJ was only locked in the rear and my next started out only locked in the front.
To answer your debate I would have to go with yes.

For a more realistic response, I think it really matters what kind of locker, and what kind of axles you are locking.

My first YJ was locked in the rear cause I felt more comfortable spending money on the 8.8, rather than the Dana 30.
My next one was open in the rear because I daily drove it, and locked up front. I have locking hubs on the 44 front though, so it doesn't matter.

I've only ever run spools or auto lockers though.

Last edited:
Along with what Shawn said-

If you have the money for selectable- put it in the rear.
If you aren't going selectable- put in in the front.

I like a selectable in the rear- since you can turn it off, it makes your turning radius much tighter offroad. Plus you don't get any driving quirks on road. Selectable vs Auto in the front doesn't affect turning radius that much. Also, you don't feel an autolocker in the front on the road that much since the driveshaft isn't adding force to engage it.

My rear locker is not working at current but I added a sleeve that locks the front, seems to work as good or better that just the rear. So I'll go with front.

Rear. Cause trying to do donuts with an open rear axle sucks.

The LS in the rear of my AWD exploder lends itself to to some epic death spiral donuts at the 4-way when it sleets

The middle one :)

Edit: well, maybe both rears.
Actually both fronts! If you drive in reverse a lot, what difference would it make?

Actually both fronts! If you drive in reverse a lot, what difference would it make?

You have to know Michael to know what he means by "both rears"

military trucks.jpg

Back