700r4

madJeepJ10

I have a 2000chevy tahoe 5.7 with yhe 700r4 tranny the fluid looks good and the tv cabel is re adjusted.it will go from first to second but will not shift any higher and when i slow down it gose back from second to first.ican only go 40 miles an hour and the rpms are at 2500 If i have the transmision shifter in (od) going down a hill it will climb in speed if i sift down to (d)you can feel it grab and slow down thenshift agin you can feel it pull harder. Thers no codes for the tranny is this a govner? Any help is great.

Last edited:
Your post is really hard to understand, but if you have a 2000 tahoe you should have a 4l60e with no tv cable. Everything should be electronic. If the fluid level is good and there are no codes stored for electronic problems, chances are you are going to need some serious trans work.

It is a 2000 and it is the z71 and there is a a cable hooked to the tranny and runs to the throttle body I'm sorry you can't understand it but I have explained it the best I can

Can you take a picture of the cable setup on the throttle body? 700r4s were phased out in the early 90's so if your 2000 has one, then it was swapped in by someone. The motor should be a vortec 5.7 with a throttle body in the center of the intake facing upwards, unlike the OBD1 TBI motors these throttle bodies had no provisions for TV cables so I am not sure how they attached it to the TB, again, unless swapped in using aftermarket bracketry (sure you are not looking at the cruise control cable?)

Ok so im wrong the cable i was looking at was cruse control im sorry and it is the 4l60e tranny so am i screwed.

Does reverse work? It sounds like you have 1st and 3rd, especially if you're turning 2500 rpm at 40 mph. If the fluid isn't burnt, it could be a valvebody issue or a shift solenoid, but it's definitely going to need some work from how it sounds.

Yes reverse works so if it needs work how hard is it to rebuild the hd master kit only cost 200 but i also need a transfer case so if i was to buy a tranny and tcase what miles should i not go over

If you wanted to rebuild it, you likely don't have all the tools to do it properly. Not saying you can't do it, but it's worth it to pay someone who does it for a living. You'll also need a new torque converter.

I second that new torque converter. Had an old guy tell me that not changing the tc after a rebuild is like taking a shower then putting on dirty underwear. I'll never forget that saying.

So I did some research and it's the 3/4 clutch pack and piston I have watched many videos and it's fairly simple to change out those part but I also went ahead and watched how to rebuild the whole thin it dose not take special tools so I might do the whole thing

It takes special tools to compress the sealing rings on the shaft so you don't cut them on installation. 3/4 clutches and pistons may just be the symptoms and you may have an underlying issue.

Back