Jeep Open Header.

Definitely put a muffler back on it. I've got a Magnaflow Magnapack muffler on my 95 XJ and I couldn't imagine running it with no muffler. Have some common courtesy for your neighbors and others around you.

1 - Don't be "that guy" Loud obnoxious exhaust coming from a 6 cylinder isnt cool, you are not fooling anyone into thinking you have a massive V8, it causes noise complaints which can lead to public areas being shut down or you being asked to leave most private wheeling spots.
2 - You could actually be hurting your self in a number of ways. I am not sure about Jeep years, but if that is a F.I. engine and has O2 sensors you need the exhaust system to ensure proper fuel delivery. Next you do not want exhaust fumes sitting under the vehicle, they will creep in and you will get sick as hell, there is a reason all vehicle manufacturers and every sanctioning body known to man kind for any auto competition requires exhaust pipe to extend outside the vehicle body. Finally, When you go from near WOT to no throttle the quick change in exhaust pressure creates a temporary vacuum that will actually suck air back in the exhaust system. If the pipe is too short (I'll let you determine how short too short is) the air drawn in will be much cooler than the temperature of the exhaust gases which will warp your valves and damage your engine.
Look we all like a little rumble, but making you XJ sound like a fiull out race vehicle is irresponsible, unecessary and certainly not cool, dont do it.
Please
::beer::

Well put. LOL. I just took the cat out of mine. It's OBD 1 anyways. Actually runs a bit better.

been reading this for a while, and I do have to say that a I-6 sounds like :poop: without a muffler on it. I think no muffler sounds bad on any engine though, too raspy. A good performance muffler will sound good on it and not piss everyone off, like the others said.

I hate to jump on the band wagon,but having exhaust does help the engine too.It's possible on a very cold night ,especially on a newer engine,that with no exhaust at all cold air could rush back up the pipe and cause bad things like hot push rods cooling to fast and bending.At least that's what I have always been told on V8's.I honestly am not sure it apply's to 6 cylinders but probably not worth the risk.

^that applies to any 4-stroke engine where exhaust reversion isnt properly accounted for (i.e. exhaust system is too short)

idk what you guys are doing wrong then my 4.0 sounds amazing with no cat and muffler she's cut open right below where the pipes meet in the y. and whoever keeps calling it a v6 it's a inline i also hauled a f250 lifted on 31's with a trailer with that exhaust set up she sounds mean i just have bad gas mileage no complaints

idk what you guys are doing wrong then my 4.0 sounds amazing with no cat and muffler she's cut open right below where the pipes meet in the y. and whoever keeps calling it a v6 it's a inline i also hauled a f250 lifted on 31's with a trailer with that exhaust set up she sounds mean i just have bad gas mileage no complaints
Right. Yeah. Mean = so loud I can't hear you.. exhaust waves do pull in air in the right circumstances, and it is obnoxiously loud. Oh and this thread is seven years old.

Did you have an exhaust leak and decided to get rid of the exhaust instead if finding and fixing it, like it sounds like you did with the overheating? Quality rig.

Wow...

Exhaust ≠ Muffler
Muffler ≠ Exhaust
Backpressure = Ignorant Speak

Your exhaust is everything from your exhaust manifold rearward. Removing your muffler and cat makes you a "1/4-assed straight pipe", not a open header. Cutting off your exhaust system just short of the exhaust manifold is *not* open headers.

i also hauled a f250 lifted on 31's with a trailer with that exhaust set up she sounds mean i just have bad gas mileage no complaints
Aside from the fact he brought life to an extremely old thread and claims to have such awesome performance from an open exhaust on his 4.0 but did he just say he hauled an f250 with that thing???

Aside from the fact he brought life to an extremely old thread and claims to have such awesome performance from an open exhaust on his 4.0 but did he just say he hauled an f250 with that thing???

Not just any f250, lifted on 31's f250!!!!

Back