Thoughts on Bronco vs K5?

SHINTON

Ok, just a bit of quick history, I started all this off years ago with a 1972 GMC Jimmy, "Big Orange" with a Ramsey 8k winch, 31-32s and eventually a lunchbox locker in the rear (12 bolt I think it was) I was starting to get a bit more extreme in my wheeling so I sold it and went YJ (BUG) and various other rigs.

I sold my stock sahara TJ, bought a YJ with 4 cyl / manual and it is ok, but not going to be around long term. I know I want an automatic and started thinking 6cyl (or even 8 cyl) but you are talking $$$ money in a Jeep (TJ YJ CJ / scrambler / even considered Jeepster/Commando)

But for the price, K5 Blazers and full size Broncos seem to have all the things I want! I am NOT going extreme wheeling so the bigger size is fine now, even slightly desirable with more interior room. I would want a v8 and automatic (and cruise cuz...)

So here is where I am looking for advice from current and prior owners, is there a real advantage to one versus the other? Both seem to have cheap / chinese aftermarket fenders, hoods, doors, etc for $99-125 per which is nice. Chevy 305/350 vs Ford 302/351, both have lots of options and aftermarket support.

Ford has TTB front axle but if I am not extreme do I care? Honestly I am thinking I personally would rather trim the fenders (Bushwhacker?) to fit 33-35s versus a lift? K5 shackle flip is pretty 'cheap' solution.

For either one, my goal is to run it all summer long with the top off (and likely the doors too!) So I will be removing carpet / bedliner the whole inside. Neoprene seat covers front and rear... any other worries about dash or other such versus Wrangler? (I ran last several years with no top in summer, park in garage at night, you occasionally get caught in the rain, oh well.)

I know CK5 forum is huge, there is a "FullSizeBronco" forum that seems to have lots of support but I am looking for the local crew for your thoughts.

My BUDGET.. I am seeing "starter" K5 and Broncos for 2500-3500, I really doubt I lay down more than 4-5k at the very max here upfront and prefer cheaper so I have room to lift (or cut/tires, etc.)

Thx in advance!
Sam

I like both rigs. I personally would choose K-5 due to the readily available driveline parts and the (more or less) direct CUCV axle swap and 205 case if you do decide to upgrade later on. The TTB is not a terrible design and would actually be preferred in the faster trails and washboard stuff. Both the rigs engine options are bullet proof. I think it may come down to personal preference on this one.

Fort the best stock type suspension lift ride quality, TTB hands down.
Cheapest platform to easily mod, K5 hands down.
I'm with Imfamous1.

I like both rigs. I personally would choose K-5 due to the readily available driveline parts and the (more or less) direct CUCV axle swap and 205 case if you do decide to upgrade later on. The TTB is not a terrible design and would actually be preferred in the faster trails and washboard stuff. Both the rigs engine options are bullet proof. I think it may come down to personal preference on this one.
I wheel (once up on a time) a M1009 Blazer.Most of the time your gonna be putting a Saint Bernard thru the cat door,a Bronco will be the same way.You will want Fuel injection and the only way to get it on a K5 is to buy a 86-91 model and those have the weakest axles and the highest prices.I think Fords FI is a lil more perf minded than the Chevy's TB set up.K5's are hard to find in respectable shape but seems the Broncos faired a lil better thru the years and not cost as much.

I'm a Bronco guy (early ones) but have owned/driven a K5 and a FSB. I would pick the K5 over the FSB based on how well they drive and the availability and cost of parts. The Ford EFI is speed density. It isn't ideal for souping up.

350 and no ttb would get the nod from this ford guy. You'll have a grand thrown at the ttb to get it 'right' and it'll hate life with 35's. 351 has a lot of potential and as cheap to build as a 350, but the volume for used 350 stuff out there seems to be significantly higher. But if you're gonna upgrade the front and not really gonna do anything under the hood...pick which one you think is cooler (I know, wrong year bko)

6FAC8E68-E7D1-4411-B134-E5449913F8CA-2845-00000346FF6C6EFC.jpeg
E4B50682-69D9-4339-9530-4908F101349D-2845-0000034703FF1E15.jpeg

I love them both, but even though your prices are a little higher on the TBI k5s, you save your money in having the easier chassis to modify, than a bronco. Shackle flip to the rear of either for a lift, Bronco is gonna cost more just because of the TTB. But if you SAS you gotta still buy the lift. I do know most of the k5s around need some rust repair no matter how minor. The electric rear window regulators just randomly quit.

Most my experience with broncos are the early ones. But I feel like the nod in drivetrains in stock form goes to the broncos for reliability even though the TTB can be a pain. With a k5 god forbid you've got a 700r4 they hate everything, along with 10 bolt rear axles. But Chevy parts are still cheap as hell, set of 3/4 tons for $500 with 4.10s and that'll solve a few problems. Less strain on the 700r4 and no broken gov bombs/10bolts. Most the k5s came with 2.73/3.08s. Not sure on the fords, I just feel like a mild build of one and you're spending $500 on just a solid front axle, no telling if geared alike a Detroit is stupid simple and cheapish in a 14 bolt. Just really don't go 1 tons, that's where the black hole starts lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I like my bronco, but I would much prefer an older 78-79 if one had been around back when I was shopping.

Right now I'm set up to just have a good time. Shackle flipped, taller springs in the front, cobra Trac-lok clutch pack in the rear, tucked T-case, and 33's with no major mods. It has a tight turning radius already, which is adjustable to be tighter, and I can even parralel park mine easily. Oh, and the 95+ broncos are MAF'd and take bolt-ons easier than the speed densities.

There are a few things about the 92+ broncos that can be upgraded easily too that you don't need to worry about so much when first getting one. There's a Saginaw upgrade for the factory POS PS Pump. The rear trac lol is easy enough to rebuild. I have a write up too on the t-case tuck which gets you about 3-4" of ground clearance for <$80.

Now, if you want to really lift the thing 6" and get some real bang for your buck... Expect to spend about $1500. A BDS extended radius arm kit, plus new springs (no blocks), shocks, possibly rear axle wedges and maybe extending the rear drive shaft.

If I could start over and still have a bronco I'd try to find one with 4.10's from the factory at least. I have 3.55s and they definitely hate having to turn 33's.

That's sort of my general blab about the bronco. The TTB seems to work well too in wash outs like infamous1 said. They both have their issues and strengths. I do at least like having the dizzy in the front of the motor!

Just as a side conversation, if I do run across a 6.2L diesel / run away or that makes it more interesting? I know M1009 military blazers are out there but they seem to be over my $5k price point unless in serious trouble.

Just my 10 minutes of local research when searching for engine stuff on CL when I put in 351 (or 5.8L) I am finding very FEW engines compared to 350 (or 5.7L) and the same is likely true for transmissions? There will be a bigger supply of "Turbo 400" I think or the 700r4 etc. I too see AOD and AODe (and C6) but not as many.

The 1986-1991 are in my sweet spot, fuel injected (TBI I guess) but would have 10 bolt F&R. So long term I may look for those cheaper 3/4 ton replacements and stay away from the bright shiny 1 ton light...since that leads to 37s and 40s and lockers F&R and dovetailing the fenders and and....

If I had time/money for a project I'd already have this...

Shh... that is on my "watch" list!!! Someone brings a stack of $100s and buys the YJ this conversation will take a turn quick, as in here are the 3-4 I am looking at the most...

That one in Lexington looks really good from the road, I pass it every day. But, you would be way ahead with that early one and they're cooler anyway.

Flame suit on,but run from the 6.2 unless a engine Swap is in the budget.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

Buddy of mine has whatever the military Chevy truck version is. 6.2, 4.56's...not only does it top out at like 55mph, but it's takes about 3 days and a stiff wind to get there.

Wow, if I was going to start wheeling on all the gnarly stuff that 74 would be mine! Excellent price, really wish I had my shop (see other thread) to hide this from the wife until I made it pretty again! I can feel the eyeroll from here as it is! :) I am leaning more stocker / slightly modified, most of my wheeling will be daily driving / and the mall!

Here are my thoughts. For a mild wheeler with 33-35" tires, I would go with an 87-96 Bronco with a 351 because it will have the better ride. For a more serious wheeler, I would go with an 87-91 Blazer with a 350 because swapping in CUCV ton axles later would be super easy. I would run away from either of them with a 305, 302, or the 6.2. Gutless.

My son has the blazer you need...but it doesn meet your price.

But its pretty. Fresh paint. A/C works. Power Everything. Fresh 383 stroker...EFI.

And a "system that hits like a dump truck"....whatever that means.

I have an 88 K5 with 3/4 ton axles under it already. Smooth running TBI 350, good shifting 700R4 and a solid NP208. Even have the 1 tons in the garage. Doesn't have a system that will hit like a dump truck, though :D

Like has been said already, Bronco if it will see more trips to the home improvement stores than dirt or mild 'wheeling. Blazer if more serious 'wheeling is in the plans

I feel obligated to post this considering I drive one :flipoff2: but throw the RamCharger in the mix as well. Upfront cost is usually cheaper, drive train is hard to kill, easy to work on, tons are bolt in, blah blah blah. Basically if you can say it about the Blazer, you can probably say it about the RC too. The biggest downfall would be parts availability, but even that isn't bad, and after 80 the top isn't removable if that a deal breaker. But I do have to say @pipeline's Blazer is a good deal and definitely would be in consideration if I was in the market. I've wheeled with it a few times (and a few owners lol) and it gets the job done.

Duane

Last edited:
This thread has really helped!! I was leaning K5 earlier today because of the motor parts and such, but honestly if the motor has issues there are "enough" engines out there it is not a super rare anything.

But the mild wheeling IS the correct application and hearing the Bronco is the nicer ride for that and now leaning Ford! Plus I already have a Mustang so this helps me with the "all horse" collection of cars! :). (What is left, Colt, not sure?)

Also appreciate the comments on the 302/305 not being enough to really turn the 33s / 35s so focused on the bigger engine! I like the look of the 91-96 the best but also saw in an ad an older mid 80s bronco with a '96 front end' on it so I guess that is a thing.

Tonight's buyer did not yank out the Wallet on the spot so not ready myself to actively look but every day is a day closer.

Leaning 60/40 Bronco but it could be just the 'best available' when the time comes. Soft top / rear for both of them are nearly $1000 which I think is insane... will have to see what speakers or such need to be removed or changed over to "marine" version so I can leave the top off 6 months a year!

Sam

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This thread has really helped!! I was leaning K5 earlier today because of the motor parts and such, but honestly if the motor has issues there are "enough" engines out there it is not a super rare anything.

But the mild wheeling IS the correct application and hearing the Bronco is the nicer ride for that and now leaning Ford! Plus I already have a Mustang so this helps me with the "all horse" collection of cars! :). (What is left, Colt, not sure?)

Also appreciate the comments on the 302/305 not being enough to really turn the 33s / 35s so focused on the bigger engine! I like the look of the 91-96 the best but also saw in an ad an older mid 80s bronco with a '96 front end' on it so I guess that is a thing.

Tonight's buyer did not yank out the Wallet on the spot so not ready myself to actively look but every day is a day closer.

Leaning 60/40 Bronco but it could be just the 'best available' when the time comes. Soft top / rear for both of them are nearly $1000 which I think is insane... will have to see what speakers or such need to be removed or changed over to "marine" version so I can leave the top off 6 months a year!

Sam

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
If I had to pick I'd take the 302 over the 305 any day.

^^^And I'd go as far as saying a stock 302 has no business in a full size truck either. It can do everything the W can do...just worse.

Back