build decisions what would you do?

A 203 or 205 alone will SUCK big time due to the 2:1 low range. I would either build a doubler out of the 203 and 205, or run the 208.
yeah I think that's the plans to run 208 till I find a 205 to Use with 20. I've got a good pick and pull Close by that has deal day all you can carry in their carts for 50% off and sometimes 60% so hopefully I can score one there sooner than later

Appreciate all the input! Def helps in decisions knowing what's efficient and what's gonna Leave me high and dry! Now the real question is what damn LS is the best 6.2 is out of budget from what I can tell, 5.3, 5.7, 6.0 what's best for what we do really? Not positive how much weight diff is between the three or if it's worth the extra weight but I would think it was much is 6.0 worth the extra money any of em bolt in beside flexplates? I still have a lot to read up on but ls1tech, jalopy journal are more into the speed LS swaps not 4x4!! And sloppy mechanics guys are nuts the shit they put LS engines through blows my mind...

The 6.0s bring quite a few more $ than the 5.3 does. I'd be fine with either one if it were me or maybe even leaning towards the 5.3 if you want to keep it in budget.
I've seen a few wrecked 2001 2500 around my area for cheap so 6.0 may be doable seems 5.3 is go to option bc their a dime a dozen tho!

5.3/4.8 share a block unless you can check vin's on the vehicle it came out of you can't tell without tearing it down. For wheeling a 5.3/4.8 is what I'd look for. The hp isn't gonna make a difference in a crawler really. If anything get a off-road or crawler cam for a 5.3/4.8 and rock on

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I'm leaning toward 5.3 I'll probably swap what's in burb in blazer and locate a 5.3 to put on the stand until I'm ready to build it up and swap em out! Y'all folks rock :rockon:

Last edited:
I'm leaning toward 5.3 I'll probably swap what's in burb in blazer and locate a 5.3 to put on the stand until I'm ready to build it up and swap em out! Y'all folks rock :rockon:

Unless the trans in the burb is bad.... I would swap the engine/trans/tcase from the burb into the k5, so i could get it on the trail quickly. Take the th350/203 combo, go through them, add the 205 doubler and LS to it. once all that it ready, swap the whole thing into the k5. Or do th350/203/205 first, then LS later.

Burb drivetrains good just loud and in inspected so it sits and I pretend to drive it around, haha that's the plan then and it'll be searching for a LS and 205! I read a d300 would work too is it strong enough for heavy abuse? Havnt looked into them yet!

I'm building a k5 slowly too. I don't know if I would go 203/205. It's a cheap doubler if you already have the transfer cases. A 32 spline 205 isn't going to be cheap, and if you buy a 10 spline one, you might have to swap the front output shaft from being 10 spline. But you can always bore out the input shaft bearing hole to 90mm and convert it to 32 spline. Personally I'd do a econobox from NWF to the 205, think 241/205 doubler. A lot lighter/shorter bc a k5 wheelbase isn't that long you'll have a lot of rear driveline issues. With you wanting to ditch the body you could stretch it a good bit out back that'll help with driveline angles out back, but I'd save some of your stretch for up front. Mainly bc firewall clearance with stuffed tires. 52/56s is what I'm running in my k5, right now just have stock 52/56s but I've been considering going to 2" lift versions. While Kurt with diy4x makes nice mounts, I made something similar with a little slightly less adjustment for a whole lot cheaper.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I'm building a k5 slowly too. I don't know if I would go 203/205. It's a cheap doubler if you already have the transfer cases. A 32 spline 205 isn't going to be cheap, and if you buy a 10 spline one, you might have to swap the front output shaft from being 10 spline. But you can always bore out the input shaft bearing hole to 90mm and convert it to 32 spline. Personally I'd do a econobox from NWF to the 205, think 241/205 doubler. A lot lighter/shorter bc a k5 wheelbase isn't that long you'll have a lot of rear driveline issues. With you wanting to ditch the body you could stretch it a good bit out back that'll help with driveline angles out back, but I'd save some of your stretch for up front. Mainly bc firewall clearance with stuffed tires. 52/56s is what I'm running in my k5, right now just have stock 52/56s but I've been considering going to 2" lift versions. While Kurt with diy4x makes nice mounts, I made something similar with a little slightly less adjustment for a whole lot cheaper.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Interesting I've still got tons to learn in the doublers and twin stick etc... I've always been happy with my np242 in Zj and the 208 in burb lol I'm going to do some scraping soon so I'll hit the pick an pulls till i can get out to see what my buddy has lying around I may end up lucky and he'll have a parts truck I can buy!? I'm still up in the air on wheelbase honestly I'll know more when I get both of em cut up I was going to go with diy easy inch or something similar for the front to move forward and I thought the 52s moved it a little forward tho?

Interesting I've still got tons to learn in the doublers and twin stick etc... I've always been happy with my np242 in Zj and the 208 in burb lol I'm going to do some scraping soon so I'll hit the pick an pulls till i can get out to see what my buddy has lying around I may end up lucky and he'll have a parts truck I can buy!? I'm still up in the air on wheelbase honestly I'll know more when I get both of em cut up I was going to go with diy easy inch or something similar for the front to move forward and I thought the 52s moved it a little forward tho?

Typical 52" front springs push the axle forward 2" but I'm also not big on trimming the back of the front fenders a lot, lol.

gotcha yeah I'm ok with chopping my fenders all to hell if not they'll be bent and trashed anyway... lol I ended up just pulling fenders off my Zj and cutting back up high as i could

Well it also helps with approach angle, right now I'm trying to figure out if I want to go highsteer or not. Packaging gets tight. I am planning on putting a 5.3 in it if the 350 shits the bed on me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm looking into hydro steer gonna see if I can rob a setup off a forklift to work lol no clue if it will tho havnt made it that far!!

Like full hydro? I bought the cap for the end of the box, plan on drill and tapping the sector shaft cap, and plumb up a ram and that's all for my hydro assist ram.

5.3/4.8 share a block unless you can check vin's on the vehicle it came out of you can't tell without tearing it down. For wheeling a 5.3/4.8 is what I'd look for. The hp isn't gonna make a difference in a crawler really. If anything get a off-road or crawler cam for a 5.3/4.8 and rock on

Doesn't the 5.3 use dish pistons and the 4.8 is flat tops? Pull a plug and use an inspection camera. Some 5.3 use flat tops from my limited research.

Like full hydro? I bought the cap for the end of the box, plan on drill and tapping the sector shaft cap, and plumb up a ram and that's all for my hydro assist ram.

Possibly, dunno if it'll turn fast enough tho or if doable at all but was on my future to do list on 40s Assist may be good enough for what I'm doing tho I'll look into both eventually.

Ain't nobody got time for that. Pull it slab a turbo on it and see what happens.

I like your style lol

I like your style lol
We did that to 2 motors. Never gapped the rings or changed head gaskets or bolts. 20 pounds is the threshold of when shit gets wild. We ended up blowing holes in two heads. When we finally pulled the 5.3 to replace with a 4.8 it had two bent rods. And every piston had at least one broke landing. It smoked like hell but would still beat a stock vet or mustang on the street.

Trucks waiting for the final heart transplant 6.0 with twins. And a forged bottom end

Yeah I can't play like that i wish I had a sweet ass garage to make all the engine swaps and stuff easier but gotta do what I can with what I got! The least amount of swapping time the better for me!

Yeah I can't play like that i wish I had a sweet ass garage to make all the engine swaps and stuff easier but gotta do what I can with what I got! The least amount of swapping time the better for me!

Try building a k5 on tons in a 2 car garage.
734e537ce79cda57c1e387cc05de4417.jpg
some days I'm like how fuck am I going to get it out of here with this 7ft door.... then I realize I can just deflate the tires, lol.

Try building a k5 on tons in a 2 car garage.
734e537ce79cda57c1e387cc05de4417.jpg
some days I'm like how fuck am I going to get it out of here with this 7ft door.... then I realize I can just deflate the tires, lol.
Ha yeah I did that when I lifted my Zj in a buddies garage we thought we were good deflated tires and it barely made it out I believe we dropped them down to 5 psi... that's a good looking k5 I'd be hesitant to cut fenders on that one too!! Lol

Back