Time to do something about the engine in my tow pig...

ord.sgt.26NC

Gott mit uns!
The 5.8 in my 92 f350 is shot. She is pumping oil in the breather box and now has a rod knock. It's the off season so time to strike hot iron to the wound. I'm torn as to which way to go with this. I'm pretty confident with my engine assembly abilities but this is different than Nellie's flat head where if something goes wrong,I just load her up on a trailer and bring her home. This truck sees around 3 to 4 thousand miles a year, with speeds from 0 to 75 depending on uphill or down. Lookin for something professionally built with a warantee.
So I'm looking at a long block assembly from somewhere.I used Bill Houser for machine work in the past and I'm sure him and his overly confident son would love to rebuild the engine.I've also been pricing crate engines too. I want a stock build...nothing special,just reliable.My neighbor works for advance and runs the business part out of his store and he could hook a brudder up with a reman. crate engine but do I want to go with whom does their rebuilds...do I check out other vendors with shipping and cores...all kinds of questions floating around since this is alot of money. I'm cautiously cheap. Willing to travel for a good product. You get the picture.

We 've actually put a few LKQ remans in lately at work. They put out a really decent quality longblock. No idea on cost but must be reasonable or they would continue to use Jasper.

If someone mentions Poteats, skip that post... I have a buddy who may have something already built, I'll check...

talkin with some other folks, I might be going with a long block from Advance. Neighbor runs commercial for them and talked to another that uses their engines. But keep the opinions coming.

talkin with some other folks, I might be going with a long block from Advance. Neighbor runs commercial for them and talked to another that uses their engines. But keep the opinions coming.

Ask @thebrotherinlaw about the quality of Advance's reman long blocks. Luckily his brother-in-law has patience and is willing to work after hours for AR goodies...
After what he and I went through with his reman 4.0, I won't buy or install another one. Cylinder head was garbage and had non-sealing valves. Had to swap it back out after way too much warranty back and forth.

I'd suggest another option if it were me.

Build a budget 408 stroker. Use the stock heads with a rebuild to keep costs down.

A guy brought me a 5.0 motor to put in his F150 from Advance a few years back. Who knows where the motor came from, but it had helicoiled threads for a spark plug. I didn't notice till I started it and it wouldn't seal. Advance paid for the swap twice luckily.

I've heard good & bad about parts houses crate motors. Unless it come from the Manufacture [Ford], I'd find a Reputable local shop, which might be lower cost than Factory crate. You really want a block from Medeco, that the Amigo was finishing at 5pm Friday?

Here's my take on most box store long blocks and jasper type 'crate engines'...I wouldn't put them in one of my rigs. I can't begin to tell you how many I've seen with different sized pistons, cap bolts that don't clearance and bearings that got plastigauge sizing. For the cost of something like a jasper, you can get more bang for your buck with a reputable builder. Anyone worth their salt is going to offer a warranty. The jasper warranty isn't that great either, read the fine print and what will void it.

Personally...if I were to do this on the cheap, I'd be looking for a low(ish) mile CL special I could hear run, and swap it over the weekend. If you want some more performance, as much as I hate inheriting someone else's project/headache find something someone lost interest in or ran out of funds that just needs buttoning up (be sure to get receipts).

Beyond that...spend the $4k and get a build matched to the purpose of the rig. Someone tells you they're gonna 'stuff the rowdiest cam they can in it', walk away...and find someone that part matches. Parts are parts...not a huge difference in stock or 'performance' prices. That's a speed density truck, limited tables to get creative with the top end, but fueling system will be the limiting factor anyway.

ok,bringin back up. Went with a long block and all the other crap that goes on it by going through my neighbor. Also went through a business on everything so no questions asked as to warrantee and such. I've lucked out a bunch with collection of funds and a shop to work in. All is good.
Tore the engine down.Man she was tired. Found atleast 6 if not all of the pistons to have cracked skirts. I'm thinking this was causing my hot cranking issues.Piston warms up,piston skirt expands and contacts the cylinder wall and increased resistance.Give a few minutes for piston to cool and the skirts relax...it cranks on up. Pulled the conn. rod cap to the cylinder that sounded like it was knocking.The bearing hadn't spun but it was down to the copper and was beating copper around the edge. Didn't pull anything else.I saw all I needed.
I know I am polishing a turd.She is allways gonna be "old unit 10" and look like some ole work truck about to fall apart. In 20 years,when I turn 70, I'll do a package deal on her,a home built trailer,and Nellie Belle but till then I'm gonna keep rockin on with the way things are. No truck payments for me.

Back