Truck Camper Camping

I've gotten two quotes in the $550 range so that's what I am thinking it is going to cost me to get this done.

Any body every DIY something like this.
Basically all I have is the Air Compressor. I would need to get a gun and all the various other equipment. +Paint.

I've got quotes on two different paint systems. One was a Sherwin-Williams Paint-$225 the other was Nason Paint at it was closer to $150.

So basically I would only be saving between $200-$250 to do it my self.

Any solid advice?

Well, here it is. It hurt to spend the money but in the long run I think it will be the best.

From everything that I've heard silver is the worst to match. But, I think that it's really close. I'm happy.

Socks and Sandals. I'm an old fart now!

Shell 1.jpg
shell 2.jpg

auploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20160413_9456035958b0f31f09f352651d20a4c7.jpg

Got a rack for the bike and kayak. This will be bolted down in the coming days.

Also ordered carpet for the interior. [rant] I don't know how much i'll be buying local any more. Talked to the upholstery shop and order some carpet to line the inside. $25.00yard. Was looking online for glue recommendations. 9.99yard. Shipping is about the same. FML [/Rant]

Two questions:

I need a piece of rubber to go between the yakima pad and the top. What should I use here? I'm not using some pieces appropriately so this is 'custom'

I also need glue for the carpet, any recommendation. Thinking Weldwood All Weather

Last edited:
Bicycle tire intertube to go between the rack and top?

I have a softopper for my Tundra. I have slept in it a half dozen times. Not 100% waterproof, but the middle will stay dry in a monsoon when sleeping on my cot. Sure beats the hell out of finding a rock that I missed in the middle of the night or having to dry out a wet tent for a couple days.

I just put a rack on mine too. I used the tracks. And I haven't had it painted to match yet.
uploadfromtaptalk1462021157733.jpg

Sent from my HTC Desire Eye using Tapatalk

Last edited:
uploadfromtaptalk1462235167631.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1462235179781.jpg

On the Southport ferry with the paddleboard

Sent from my HTC Desire Eye using Tapatalk

That thing is huge! Basically turned that ram in to a class C.

My truck camper has been pretty darn handy. Sure it nice to load up all the stuff in the back of the truck and know it isn't going to get rained on. I did sleep in it one night before a triathlon. Worked pretty well.

Getting it on and off isn't near as fun as I thought it would be. My current on/off method is to get under it and lift it on my back. Then I walk up some ramps into the bed of the truck. I do have a hoist system that will eventually be up and running. But since I first got it, it's been on the truck 5 or 6 separate times.

20160723_120411.jpg
Picked this one up a few weeks ago on the cheap. Its in pretty goood condition to be a 1971 model but does need a little love. I need a fridge and would like to install ac. Does anyone know where i might could find one of these for parts?

An ARB electric fridge would be pretty sweet, although definitely not the cheap option.

Don't think I'll ever be able to give up my tent for a "glamper". But I'm am liking the soft top shell, tent camping in the truck bed.

**Not to thread hijack
@Stuntman Autoworks
Share some cold weather sleeping tips if you would.

Use moving pads under and on your air mattress. Insulation from cold ground and silencer for the rubber squeaks when you move.

Back