wj knuckle conversion xj

dyer91

I have a 91 with 6.5 in lift.
Gonna try and piece this together as $ allows. Got a deal on the knuckles, teaves calipers with brackets(I know not the good ones but useable), wj rotors and pads, and the factory wj steering just in case. I know I need a lot more but wanted some input before I committed on certain parts.

I know I have to get
Jks spacers
Ota trac bar mount... couple people make em
Frame side track bar mount... lots of those out there??
Custom steering and custom track bar

Now questions. What is the most cost effective way to accomplish the steering and trac bar? Anybody local selling a kit? There is an overload of info on web about this with a million opinions. I would like some direction to get out as inexpensive as I can. I know it's not a cheap mod I just have limited funds.
I don't mind using the wj ends but the jks rods r high to me. Anyone come up with a tube that could sleeve the factory stuff? I think i read somewhere they were both weird tube sizes but anyone found some?
I know it's a lot of rambling but I've starred at the internet to long. Input plz.

i'd fine a frame side bracket that uses a heim. and run a bracket like http://www.barnes4wd.com/Offset-Axle-Panhard-Bracket_p_71.html

then order some tube, heims, and inserts.

this project isn't cheap.
if its a trail rig then i'd use heims over TRE. they are pretty inexpensive and easy to swap out.

I think my whole swap ended up running like $400+

Prob TRE since its a d.d. also. The heim will be fine on both ends of trac bar, but some ppl will say to go with a bushing on one end to keep some vibrations down. Ive never had vibration issues.

Which Pitman arm do i use? It's got the drop pitman arm that came with the lift kit. But have heard it doesn't offer enough throw.

Alright I think I have a pretty good parts list goin.
Jks spacers...ordered
Es2070l and es2234r for the drag link ends
Es2234l and es2234r for the tie rod ends
Tube inserts, jam nuts and dom for both
Think I'm gonna use the ruffstuff track bar kit..offset axle mount and outside frame mount.
Upper xj ball joints picked up today mine were about toast anyway
Lower wj ball joints picked up today...actually I got both sets (adjustable and regular) gonna look at them and see which ones I wanna use and return other set.????????
Zj pitman arm
Either ream all three steering arms and pitman arm or get the goferit inserts for all ??????
02 Ford explorer sport trac rotors
I think that's about it. What y'all think? Not cheap at all but I think it will be worth it in long run.

are you going with 1 ton TRE or just standard? the pitman arm may not need reamed or insret depending on the angles of drag link and trac bar.

Gonna do 1 ton with parts above(i think most are dodge 1ton stuff if i read correct). Es2070l at pitman arm. I think it all will have to be reamed or use insert thingys. Can an insert go in a pitman arm even? Also I went ahead and used the adjustable lower ball joints.

I have a 1 ton reamer. Been debating on gettin rid of it. Its been used a few times. Roger or "scoobystunts" had it for a while but I got it now. Still sharp.

it worked ok with a hand drill. Would have been nice to use a bigger press or a manual mill.

Got the spacers in yesterday. Picked up the 2070l, 2234r (x2), 2010l (they didn't have the 2234r), and 02 sport trac rotors. On my way! Need to find a reamed 1ton zj pitman arm or a zj arm and someone to ream it for me. I think I am going to go with the inserts for the knuckles.

I used a gopherit insert on one once. Ended up breaking it after a few trips. I've never had good luck with TREs. My xj and zj both have heims and do great. My xj has a wj brake setup and it works fine, I have a extra ruffstuff 3/4" steering kit for it I'll sell if you want it. 225 +ship. And it's all welded together ready to go.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4

I'm in Greensboro during the week and have a snap on reamer if you wanna come try it out. Pm me and I'll shoot you my number

Ok. Im in se greensboro right off interstate 85.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Back