Two New Off Road Parks In N.C.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Nice avatar Mr D:lol:

Sent mine in.
Posted links on NAXJA and Cherokeeforum under land use

I'm gonna play Devil's Advocate for a minute here, so don't get pissy with me.

How much is this going to cost $$ wise and What's the return going to be $$ wise. In this economy today, we need to pay before we play so to speak. Could this be considered "pork"? how could something like this really stimulate and is there something more productive that we could put those dollars towards?

Again, just playing devil's advocate. I'd love to see more parks for OHV use.

^ During the great depression, the governemtn began construction of the Blue Ridge Parkway. It was not "needed" but it gave many unemployed workers jobs and an income. These new OHV parks could essentially be for the same reason. The parks could help stimulate the economy in those areas, which I would presume would be more rural areas that could possibly have higher unemplyment rates.

Just my opinion

I'm gonna play Devil's Advocate for a minute here, so don't get pissy with me.

How much is this going to cost $$ wise and What's the return going to be $$ wise. In this economy today, we need to pay before we play so to speak. Could this be considered "pork"? how could something like this really stimulate and is there something more productive that we could put those dollars towards?

Again, just playing devil's advocate. I'd love to see more parks for OHV use.
^ During the great depression, the governemtn began construction of the Blue Ridge Parkway. It was not "needed" but it gave many unemployed workers jobs and an income. These new OHV parks could essentially be for the same reason. The parks could help stimulate the economy in those areas, which I would presume would be more rural areas that could possibly have higher unemplyment rates.
Just my opinion

My thinking exactly.
Harlan, KY, anyone?

I, for example, do not live in NC. However I'd gladly come down for a visit w/ my buds :beer: for a weekend of wheeling. I'll need a place to stay, food to eat and beer to drink (AFTER DRIVING), gas for my rig and replacement parts to get me home afterwards :driver:. Cost of living here is 2x that if NC so on travel there I can spend generously :lol:

Yes, look at all the revenue brouight in by things like the BRP, towns that literally live on the tourism revenue. Personally I think these sorts of program are perfect for the economic situation.

I heard back from several Senators this morning via email. At least they are hearing us!

#1 - If you have NOT read the bill, please do so! The link is above and it is not that long!
I would be glad to discuss differences of opinion with those that HAVE read the bill.

#2 - As I read it, the funding for the bill would come through registration of OHVs. Right
now there are thousands of ATVs and motorcycles as well as dune buggies, rock
rails and custom chassis buggies that are not registered in the state. The fairly
nominal $15 registration fee should not be a hardship considering the possible
benefits. ALL monies from these registrations would be used to fund the OHV Trust
Fund, wheather for planning, development, maintainence or safety.

#3 - My concern at this time would be to have full sized rigs like most of us have, most
of which are currently registered with the state, be able to ride at any state
operated OHV parks that may be constructed.

#4 - As we all know the government wheels grind exceedingly slow! This bill has been
in 2007 and 2008. ONLY through our involvement in contacting our elected officials
will make a difference this time! You have all seen places to ride taken away from
us in the last few years. If only HALF of the people on this board mean what they
say, our North Carolina Senators should be bombarded with emails in support of
this bill.

I got a response back from one saying they'll keep my concerns in mind. At least we are being heard. Keep up the emails!!!

E-mail sent to everyone!!!

sent... I hope they don't think that Michael Bolton was a joke.... trust me, it happens
I'll be honest with you, I love his music, I do, I'm a Michael Bolton fan. For my money, I don't know if it gets any better than when he sings "When a Man Loves a Woman".

And emails sent, and while not entirely, "canned" obviously peon generated replies received.
Replied to two of those.

I received this reply from Goodallla@ncleg.net:

Mr. Hegarty,

Senator Goodall has already co-sponsored this bill.

Thanks,
Cara
LA to Senator Goodall

While I urge each and every NC4x4 user to continue with the emails, we all know how the government operates and what we're dealing with here. Several of the email replies are obviously canned, and the "I'll keep your concerns in mind" is fluff. The bill was already shot down in 2007 and 2008. With that in mind, we have to be persistant with our "voice", non emotional in our expectations and replys. We need to be seen as responsible adult constituents, not emotional country bumpkins.

Thanks to all who have made the effort to support our sport through emails!

While I urge each and every NC4x4 user to continue with the emails, we all know how the government operates and what we're dealing with here. Several of the email replies are obviously canned, and the "I'll keep your concerns in mind" is fluff. The bill was already shot down in 2007 and 2008. With that in mind, we have to be persistant with our "voice", non emotional in our expectations and replys. We need to be seen as responsible adult constituents, not emotional country bumpkins.

Thanks to all who have made the effort to support our sport through emails!

Is there a way we can lobby for this? Sorry Im not too familiar with how senate works. But yea these generic responses are very fluffy.

Got a reply from my senator:

Thanks for your note. I do support you and appreciate you letting me know a bit more about the definitions. I will be watchful of the bill when it comes up but please do the same and let me know if you see changes that are bad along the way. Most legislation will go thru several versions. You can always find the newest version online at www.ncleg.net Thanks again. Debbie

Senator Debbie Clary

105 D-02 Northshore Court

Cherryville, NC 28021

704.480.1407 Local Office

919.715.2002 Raleigh Office

Back