remote switches for ignition

RenegadeT

no shirt,no shoes,no dice
looking to bypass the key on my 91 XJ, install an ignition ON switch and a START swithc. This has the standard GM steering column/ignition switch with the 2-piece connector, 9 wires. I have the FSM, schematics, but does anyone have the cliff notes on how to hook this up?

Basically you're going to want to hook up the starter to the button and everything else to the switch (I'm assuming a toggle switch). Unless you want an accessory function in which you'll need another toggle switch. Basically make it just like the keyed switch you currently have, first click is acc, second is key on engine off and third is start. You may also want to put in a battery disconnect switch somewhere to make it a bit harder to steal. You can get ones with a red removable key from Napa or the like.

You are also going to have to do something about the steering column lock too.

can you not change out the ignition tumbler? or is that not the purpose?

Wires:

Find the hot 12V wire (RED maybe)

Yellow goes thru Momentary Switch to 12V (Start)
Dark Blue goes thru Switch to 12V (Run)

Drag it to the shop, we have shopkey and can figure it out really quick and I have all the toggles and relays needed.

not sure what happened to the key cylinder and/or rod. I swapped in a new tilt column, everything worked fine until I bolted it all up, then for some unexplained reason, the key was jammed in the ON position, and I couldn't moved the rod between key tumbler and ignition switch. I did lots of reading about the GM tilt column, I suppose I'll pull the steering wheel off and see about putting the original key/tumbler back in. That would be the cleanest way, I was jsut being lazy i guess.

dunno what's up with the key cylinder, I monkeyed with the park interlock cable, no go. The key was stuck in the ON position. I pulled the column completely out, its still stuck, gonna tear into it tonight.

Back