Power Wheels?

REDLYNER

Mall Crawling Race Rig
I've logged in more hours of research than I'm willing to admit on these things, but I was wondering if the board had any opinions they could share?

I've pretty much narrowed it down to the Kawasaki KFX, but here's the thing, they sell it in like 5 color choices and they all say 2.5 to 5mph (two speeds), however..... the green version says 3 to 6mph. Weird. They are all the same price, but the green one says its faster.

Anybody have one of these?

FYI I spent 4 hours in line/shopping at Toy R Us today (Thanksgiving), it was madness.

We just bought the green one for my boy's birthday a month ago. I chose the green one because Kawasaki's are suppose to be green, lol. That is all I've got to add.

My son has the black one because that's all they had. I'm not far from drkelly, maybe we can run 'em and see if one's faster than the other lol.

I have gone through many versions, from the pink jeep to the four wheelers for my daughter. Make sure to get the 12v and when you want more speed hook up an 18v dewalt battery. This will make it faster but kill the motors. Use a 12v car battery for all week service.

12 volt wheel chair batteries are great for an up grade. They are made to drain, compact, and high amp/h.
I put one in a Jeep Hurricane and my kids can run it all day w/o charging. I'm pretty sure it is like 38 amp/h as opposed to the original that is 9 amp/h.

My opinion is that all powerwheel stuff is crap. Gear boxes bust, tires wear easily, no traction, switches go bad. There was about a 2 year stretch I probably averaged 20 dollars a month in parts for that thing. I've easily put $500 in parts/batteries. It's sitting out there w/ a bad reverse switch right now.

I always heard the Peg Pergo stuff is alot better but they are alot more expensive.

I always heard the Peg Pergo stuff is alot better but they are alot more expensive.

Didn't know about that, so a couple searches pulled up the Peg Perego Polaris ATV. Same speeds as the Kawasaki (2.5 to 5). Hmmmmm.....

Kawasaki:

Polaris:

image.jpg
image.jpg

Seemed like the Peg Pergo John Deere tractor was better than the 2 power wheels Jeeps we had. It seemed faster too. A nice feature for when they were younger is the high gear lockout on our Peg Pergo; I don't think the powerwheels had that.

My boy's Kawi fouwheeler has a high speed disconnect. His Jeep doesn't though.

Upon closer inspection, the Powerwheels Hurricane in my garage looks like it may have had a lockout at some point; we bought that used, so its hard to say. drkelly has my boy's old powerwheels Jeep; I didn't think it had anything. It is a very nice feature for when they are younger and barely understand the concept of driving and struggle with just fwd/REV

I got my youngest boy a Peg Pergo Toyota fj40. He just called it a jeep. I cant tell you how many laps around the house was made in it. I got it for him when he was 2. He quit using it when he could not fit in it anymore. Well worth the price.

I just bought my soon to be stepdaughter a red rubicon power wheels jeep from K-mart. Got the 12V one. I'm super excited to see her face Christmas morning, she loves my jeep so much. She threw a fit just the other day going to dinner. We were taking the car and she wanted to ride in the jeep so bad!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

The Jeep Hurricane's lockout is in the form of a small screw that is put in the side of the shifter bezel to keep the shifter from making the z to high speed. When my daughter was 3, she wanted a Powerwheels Barbie Jeep and that year we looked EVERYWHERE to find one and couldn't. THe only thing that they had on the shelf was the Hurricane. Even with the lockout, and the seat moved all the way forward, it was way too much for her. The good thing, is that she grew into it, and we had two other kids so now they all can ride on it - at the same time! I do wish it had better traction, though. It's annoying to hear your kid complain all the time that her Jeep is stuck in the front yard.

The Jeep Hurricane's lockout is in the form of a small screw that is put in the side of the shifter bezel to keep the shifter from making the z to high speed. When my daughter was 3, she wanted a Powerwheels Barbie Jeep and that year we looked EVERYWHERE to find one and couldn't. THe only thing that they had on the shelf was the Hurricane. Even with the lockout, and the seat moved all the way forward, it was way too much for her. The good thing, is that she grew into it, and we had two other kids so now they all can ride on it - at the same time! I do wish it had better traction, though. It's annoying to hear your kid complain all the time that her Jeep is stuck in the front yard.

Take that screw out. It will spin pas in high. If she still gets stuck tel her to hit it harder next time. That's what I did and is probably the reason I've replaced gear boxes so much.

here is an idea for you to start with..

I did the same thing looking trying to find the perfect option, then decided why not get a used one, paint it and see if he likes it.. he still after 4 years loves the damn thing..and saved me a ton of cash.. Kids dont need the best brand new one..

http://www.nc4x4.com/forum/index.php?threads/build-for-sons-2nd-birthday.66039/
I did the same thing for my kid, but I painted it blue like my old CJ. Then gave it to the neighbor kid when mine outgrew it.

The Hurricane we have 'hooks up' way better than the smaller standard power wheels Jeeps Maybe because some of the 'cane's tires are wore thru, it might grab grass better than the others. We had 2 of the standard jeeps, and they would get stuck in wet grass. Kids don't mind, they just get out and point it another direction.

12 volt and 2-1/4 to 4-1/2 MPH according to Peg-Perego

Attachments

• 20131120_162959.jpeg
    20131120_162959.jpeg
    136.8 KB · Views: 187
Back