Old Homelite saw

mommucked

Endeavoring to persevere
I have a 40sumpin yo Homelite SuperXL ( correction XL 12 ) chainsaw that I know has been rebuilt/bored at least once if not twice and cut acres of firewood in it's time. It ran the last time I used it 2 yrs ago but would start to act up and smoke like it was overheating after 10 mins or so, so I would shut it off. I'm guessing rings are bad/broke but it has great compression and I'm wondering if it can be rebuilt/bored etc. again or if it might need a new head/jug/cylinder and alot of $$$ to revive the old tree chopper? any advice from experts on old chainsaws appreciated.

Last edited:
I'm sure its salvageable, but since I'm no expert, I'd recommend putting your question on the forum on www.arboristsite.com

Having grown up in a Homelite shop (along with Stihl & Polan), it likely needs a carb kit & tune-up.
Does this saw have the compression release on the RH side above the muffler?
If compression is "great" it ain't the rings, but the cylinder/piston may have gotten scored? Have seen them suck carbon back in from the exhaust and destroy the set. Pull the muffler off, spin until piston is down, and shine a light in for a looksee. IF everything is shiny & smooth... likely just the carb loading or old points/condensor crapping. The main way to "overheat" a 2stroke is to lean it out... either via carb adjustment or vacuum leak. Both *will* do damage.

FWIW, a neighbor just bough a Super XL at a yardsale for $50 and it fires up/runs like new... 40 years later.

Thanks all, It does'nt have the comp. release i think it's a late 60's model. It is a beast and is about scary the way it rips through hardwoods. I'm taking it to Arvins today and gonna ask them to take it apart and give me an estimate to repair before fixing it. I'd like to get a new Stihl but this saw performs better than any brand of newer one I've used for the size.

Try Klotz Super Techniplate for a mix oil. I've got two of the old Homelite XL's and they are good but heavy. PM if you want an opinion on saws from a guy that works on new saws today and saws today from 1962.

Thank you sir, I dropped the saw off and went and got it back the next day. The guy I trust, but I did'nt want to return and pick up a box of parts if it was to much $$$ to R&R. I found it needed cleaning, my fault, sawdust packed around the clutch and the brass oilpipe is cracked/leaking and i'm gonna try to fix that myself. I'll try the Klotz and as always try to mix it a lil rich. I'm messing w it now and might have to bother you soon :)

Back