[9 September, 2017] UORTC 4WD-101 Training (Uwharrie, NC)

I have a 2006 Stock Honde Ridgeline RTL. Would you consider it up to this?

-Matt
Hey Matt,
Yes. The 4WD-101 class is about the driver learning the proper driving techniques one will need to negotiate rugged terrain safely - for you, your machine and the environment! We instruct and coach on easy obstacles in this class that your Ridgeline is capable of performing on. The objective is to teach the techniques on easy obstacles but one will use the same techniques even as the obstacles may be larger and more difficult for the driver in the future. Meaning, after the class you will be ready for any obstacle whether small/easy or large/difficult.

Your Ridgeline will bottom out, most likely your breakover angle is marginal at best. Approach and departure angles also marginal. Running boards may get tweaked. We would take extra care and I do not expect any vehicle damage, however; for obvious reasons I cannot guarantee it.

Kind Regards,

Yup, already scraped the running boards (Westin added by previous owner) and seriously considering a lift kit as this seems to be the primary issue with it. Just wanted to make sure I wouldn't get in trouble during the class with the limited stock clearance. Thank you for the quick reply. Now just got to convince the wife it is ok off road for our OBX trip and get to the class.

-Matt

Yup, already scraped the running boards (Westin added by previous owner) and seriously considering a lift kit as this seems to be the primary issue with it. Just wanted to make sure I wouldn't get in trouble during the class with the limited stock clearance. Thank you for the quick reply. Now just got to convince the wife it is ok off road for our OBX trip and get to the class.

-Matt
Okay Matt, Remind me when you take the class that sand will be your main terrain. I will cater your training and coaching to that. KR,

Wow, didn't expect that level of personalization. Thanks! Sadly, after a few quick searches it appears 2" is the max lift for the Ridgeline so it will not be on the more gnarly trails at Uwharrie, but should handle OBX fine.

Wow, didn't expect that level of personalization. Thanks! Sadly, after a few quick searches it appears 2" is the max lift for the Ridgeline so it will not be on the more gnarly trails at Uwharrie, but should handle OBX fine.
Indeed! Let me know how we can help you.

Matt, We partner with Mike Morrison of Two Guys Metal Fab and Andy Zuber of Tarheel 4WD Center. Contact one or both and see if they can get you what you need for your Ridgeline. After you take the class, you are eligible for a discount with them. They both have posted on this thread so you can start a conversation with them if you wish.

Will do! I shouldn't really need a kit anytime soon as I don't see it assisting in OBX. Just trying to cut down on scraping here and there on FS roads. I do appreciate all the help.

Will do! I shouldn't really need a kit anytime soon as I don't see it assisting in OBX. Just trying to cut down on scraping here and there on FS roads. I do appreciate all the help.
I understand - You are welcome!

Congratulations to Michael Morrison and Ron Parrish who just passed the stringent training and testing by Chris Cole, Bill Burke and the I4WDTA!

Mike and Ron work for UORTC and are now certified 4WD instructors!

Check out more pictures from this I4WDTA candidate testing on www.facebook.com/UORTC
I4WDTA 113.JPG

I took the 4x4 101 course with UORTC this past week with Scott and Ron. Amazing training presented in a professional, safe, and informative manner. These guys really know their stuff. After receiving driver training at a number of federal law enforcement training centers, I can attest to the fact that these guys offer training that is as good as it gets. I am still amazed at how capable a stock SUV can be when driven with appropriate technique. The money I spent on the training saved me at least twice as much in modifications that I no longer need to make to my vehicle. I now know enough about how to operate my truck to maximize its potential that a rear diff locker and other modifications I was considering just aren't necessary. Scott and his team have invested a lot of time and money in developing custom tracks to give you a wide range of driving challenges in a very short amount of time, building your capability and confidence. I highly recommend this course and I hope to make it back for the 201 training as soon as possible.

Just took the class on Nov02 with Scott and Mike as instructors; it is a full day course with some great information material.
But I have to admit that the best part is the hands on training in the private course. Scott and Mike took the right amount of time to explain in details and guide each student to use the correct technique for a variety of terrains and weather conditions.
A lot was learned and is going to take time and practice to get use on some of this techniques; but I can see how they will make me a better driver off road while respecting the trail.
Looking forward to next year class schedule for additional training.
E

Great class, had a great time and learned a lot. Scott and Mike were very professional. I dought there is anyone of any age or amount of years wheeling that would not benefit to this class, got my eye open for 201 next!

Scott. Do you have an idea of the next class after January ? Want to send the wife thru it but she is not keen at all of being outside in the cold.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Finally broke down and let her drive the FJ40. Now she wants to drive more out there. Only took 18 years.

Looking forward to the 2014 Class schedule. Also, not keen on Jan class, but will do it if additional classes are late in 2014. QUESTION: Can we attend class with hardtop??

Yep! Husband was in Rubicon and son in Green/Tan Wrangler X. No cb's, but have ordered them now. Not completely prepared. We are new at this - Hence the class in January. Looking forward to it.....

Back