Loudest muffler for a 6 cylinder?

Nissan11

I've got a Nissan frontier with a 3.3L 6 cly. I have a flowmaster 40 series muffler and dual pipes coming out the back. I was never happy with the way it sounded but it was just a little louder/deeper than stock.
Now, my exhaust is crumbling and I need it replaced. I was thinking I'm just going to get another 40 series muffler and a single tail pipe, but I was wondering if there is another series or different brand muffler that is louder than the flowmaster 40 series?
I don't want it to sound like crap, like a ricer with a big fart can. I'd rather go with the quiet 40 series than have it sound like that.

I despise the Blowmaster, especially on v6's, it sounds good on older muscle cars, but the flow is horrible, and I hate the popping you get after letting off the throttle.

I put a Magnaflow dual 2" in single 2.5" out on my wife's Qx4 with the same 3.3 V6 as yours. It's got a nice low rumble to it at idle, and screams when you get on it, but is quiet inside while cruising. Sounds just like many 350z's I have heard with Magnaflow. You could go with a shorter case than I did (I think I got the 22" case) and it would be louder.

glass pack?

The shop the quoted ne the cheapest price can do my exhaust in the morning. they have magnaflow, glass pack and flowmaster mufflers. The guy told me it's the same price for magnaflow and flowmaster with new tailpipe which is $135. He swears the magnaflow is even quieter than flowmaster.
I think I'm going to go with a single in/single out glass pack and hopefully it will be louder than than the flowmaster.

Also, do tips really make a difference in sound?

Glass packs :shaking:

All depends on what magnaflow they use, the really small round ones sound like a glasspack (because they are), the oval ones have a nice deep tone to them, the longer the case the quieter it will be, the 14" ones are pretty loud.

A larger tip will slow down the soundwaves making it deeper, tiny ones will make it higher pitched like a machine gun firing in a trash can, but doesn't really change the volume at all.

So glass packs will not make a very loud and deep sound? If I took an oval mangnaflow and had them cut it to be shorter, it will be louder?

What would it sound like if I removed the secondary cats on my truck and replaced them with straight pipe going from the primary cats to the muffler?

And this might be a stupid question, but what would it sound like with no muffler?

awww.titantalk.com_forums_attachments_titan_performance_modifi0504d4a7310aaa39c2cf23b6923c0621.jpg

- Cherry bomb extreme, or the original flowmaster 10-series single chamber. the chambered mufflers often help make more racket
- the converters could definitely be hindering the sound level, but we dont advocate tampering with emissions equipment.
- large tips make an additional 'cupping' sound.

FYI, youtube will be your friend with a plethora of muffler & vehicle combinations.

So glass packs will not make a very loud and deep sound? If I took an oval mangnaflow and had them cut it to be shorter, it will be louder?
Glass packs pretty much sound like straights, again, think a monkey firing a machine gun into a trash can. Magnaflow sells some pretty short mufflers. How is your exhaust ran currently? On my wife's 3.3v6 it was a dual in single out on the stock setup, I just found a magnaflow that fit the dimensions I needed and put it in place of the stock muffler and removed the resonator that was behind the muffler.
What would it sound like if I removed the secondary cats on my truck and replaced them with straight pipe going from the primary cats to the muffler?
Not sure, my wife's 3.3v6 only had the two front cat's coming off the manifolds. Probably get slightly louder, maybe a little raspier.
And this might be a stupid question, but what would it sound like with no muffler?
See above.

My current exhaust is a 40 series flowmaster muffler, 1 in/2 out with no tips. Over the last year the tail pipe has been rusting and has several holes in it, and friday one side broke off rigt behind the muffler. Its all very rusty.

I listened to a video on youtube and it sounds like a 1 in/1 out 40 series is a lot louder than my 1 in/2 out. Why could that be?

Is a cherry bobm used in place of a muffler or in addition to a muffler?

I think that not matter which muffler I decide on, I am going to ask the shop to cut out the secondary cats and put pipe in their place. The secondary cats dont have any sensors so I dont think there will be any problems.

thats what I have on the buggy and its loud.
Yeah but there is a difference of about 200 cid and 2 cylinders...LOL

The loudest muffler is an oxymoron...what it sounds like you want is the least effective muffler.

Yeah but there is a difference of about 200 cid and 2 cylinders...LOL
The loudest muffler is an oxymoron...what it sounds like you want is the least effective muffler.

Are you saying the flowmaster and magnaflow muffer cause a loss of power and performance?

nissan i believe u were at the meet and greet on saturday when me and chris had the grudge pull behind the shop.(the big blue gmc) i just installed a set of cherry bomb glass packs on my truck this week and im satisfied with the sound...now keep in mind that my truck doesnt have to pass an emissions test so mine are 27 inches long and bolt straight to the headers. u can get them at ur local auto parts store..they were 25 bucks a piece and at idle they are deep but they r loud once u get into ur higher rpm range. im not dure if the ones i have would work with a nissan or not honestly but u can buy glass packs that arent flanged for like 35 a piece i think..hope it helps.

Yeah I was there and your truck sounds great but there is a big difference between a 8 cyl and a 6 cyl. I just dont want it to sound like a ricer and thats what Im worried about if I just do a glass pack.

do like I do, weld a flange on the pipe before the muffler, and test out a few different mufflers before you settle.

Are you saying the flowmaster and magnaflow muffer cause a loss of power and performance?

Not at all.
The job of a muffler is to muffle or reduce exhaust noise while still maintaining adequate exhaust flow to not impact performance.

The loudest and best performing will always be open pipe in the appropriate length. It is easy to make a great flowing muffler that is loud, i is easy to make a quiet muffler that is restrictive. It is a challenge to make a great flowing muffler that is quiet.

Shit if you want pure noise put a resonator ring in line and you can tune it to your taste.

BTW removing the 2nd cat is a felony for the shop that does it, if you find someone to do it I wouldnt advertise it for their sake.

thrush exhaust are cheap and without a cat on 6 itll sound pretty good im running the thrush welded muffller dropped in middle sounds great! IMO

If you want a obnoxiously loud, high pitched crackle go with straight pipes or glass packs. If you want a deep powerful rumble go with the 2 chamber Flowmaster or Magnaflow mufflers.

If you really want to make it sound good, drop in a nice Nissan 5.6 Litre V8....

you want it loud get a single chamber flowmaster i ran a glass pack on my old toyota for a while and liked it but swapped it out for a 40 series flow

Link doesn't work, goes to a mobile page. When you say you can't hear anything over 3k do you mean it's so loud you can't hear yourself think? Or it's too quiet? In my experience the blowmasters don't really get louder, they are just obnoxious at lower rpms and when decelerating they pop. Straight through's like my magnaflow are more tame while driving normally, and then scream when you get on it.

Back