end of june trip to Windrock ideas...

ord.sgt.26NC

Gott mit uns!
need some guidance on camping and such for a trip starting the last weekend of june amd running for a couple a days.We've never been and would love some input from those that have.

I know one thing for sure, buy a map, the place is huge and can get you turned around.

I would like to go with y'all but it would be a last.minute thing

I'm headed there next weekend. I'll report back with some info once I'm home

we are trying to figure out where to camp.If we want to do it at the park or at any one of the numerous camp grounds close by. Any place to stay away from? Any scetchy areas to stay clear of ?

Just stay at the park, its a great place all around. Any place thats not at the park is several minutes away and not worth the trouble.

I've tent camped there everytime. Depending on the weather you may burn your ass up. Find shade in the evening on the tree line and bring one of those shade thingys (awning?) that pop up. There's a camp spot up the hill from the shower house. It's to the left and up a semi-steep hill.

Sounds like our best bet is going to be trying to get a spot at the park then?

I'm going next weekend 15-17 May, and staying at the park. Last time we went we camped in the overflow area and it was nice and was within walking distance to a nice bath house.

will we need to reserve the spots or is it first come/first served?
Got any decent places to eat near by?Gonna do alot of cooking but would be nice to step out for one night and get a meal served.
Jason,you know how I roll. I'll be on Nellie Belle and the rest of the group will be on 33s or smaller. We will pick up maps when we get there and will follow the color code for the trails . Got some trail numbers to throw at me for a good time? You know how I love to explore and will do that but need a some idea where to start.

As far as eating, windrock is 10 minutes from Oak Ridge which has about anything you would want to eat from fast food to high end.

will we need to reserve the spots or is it first come/first served?
Better call to see if they have space. I know both the Jeepster Commando Club (12-20 rigs) & Southern Jeeps (dozens) will be there the last weekend in June and may have grabbed the spaces/bunk houses...

Got some trail numbers to throw at me for a good time? You know how I love to explore and will do that but need a some idea where to start.

A few years ago when we were there, the stockers (no lift/lockers & 235s) followed us up to #15 and announced they'd follow us on up. 10 minutes later there were 3-4 rigs fubar within 75' off the asphalt! The stockers mysteriously had vanished... all that to say, the trails up there can go from Sunday drive to yardsale real quick. A local took us out #3(?) once... said it was an easy trail with a bypass, which it was easy. Unfortunately, there was pinch point (very off-camber & body damage) *just before* the bypass! :D

we recieved an email from them and said they had plenty of room if we wanted to reserve some sites. still trying to figure out if we want to rough it there with no electricity or set up somewhere else that has electrical hookups for fans.Love sleepin under a fan myself and do it all year long.

we r gonna be somewhat choosy on what trails we do. I'll be the smallest one there rolling on my pizza cutters.Rest of the rigs will be on 33s and lifts with a couple being driven too and from the area back home. I just checked the map and trails 3 and 15 both are shown black soooo we were plannin on not hitting any that color since this is our first trip there.Seasoned veterans we all are but going into this thing with some common sence too.

Back