Bronco II. Mods?

95Trooper

What can be done with a 1989 Bronco II without getting expensive? It has the 2.9 v6 and manual transmission. It's 4x4 and everything works. My brother is selling it to me for $100. It runs/drives good just needs a starter and I cannot pass up the deal! What can be done to it? How much does it cost to lift one? Would it be cheaper to bust out the angle grinder and sawzall and cut away on the fenders then throw some big tires on it? What's the biggest size tires I could fit on there without a lift? Any weak points? Thanks for the help!

www.therangerstation.com is a great resource.

max size tires on stock axles is 33"s but be sure to regear or you'll burn up the tranny.

cutting the fenders is the cheapest way to do it. another cool route is going to perrys fab n fiber and get the 6 inch bulge fenders, you can fit 33"s on the front with that set up and just trim out the rear.

the rear axle is a fairly easy to swap out, find an 8.8 out of an explorer and have the perches welded to the top side of the axle instead of underneath.

the front axle you can swap in a early bronco (66-76, with the later d44 being best option) or you can swap in a jeep front axle. with minimal fab skills, the axle swaps arent too bad.

find an older throttle body, they have a bigger diameter and get more airflow.

Sell it and buy a jeep!

Anyway to be more helpfull. What are you lookin to make out of this?? to start go between here, rangerstation, and ranger powersports. Look up info and parts in the classifieds for axle swaps, lifts, and gearing for the new axles. Dont just cut the fenders and add big tires. You will tear up alot.

feel free to shoot me a pm if ya need anything. Ive been through 1.5 broncos and a ranger so im pretty good with them both.

If you don't have much fab expierence, I would suggest a jeep. Easy to modify and a ton of parts. I would suggest cutting the fenders, welding the spiders in the rear, and destroying the thing.

:driver:I think you should sell it to me for $200:lol::lol:
But since thats probably not going to happen I would have to agree with GotWood
I would suggest cutting the fenders, welding the spiders in the rear, and destroying the thing.

f-150 coils will work in the front, a little trim and you can run 33, as for the rear autozone sells 3 in blocks with the u bolts, You should be able to lift 3in for less than $100, will have to have new camber bushings in the front end, napa has them. Then weld the spiders in the rear. 3in body lift. Ready to go!!!
ai38.photobucket.com_albums_e106_Mattb6679_100_3122.jpg
One me and my buddys threw togeather

There's all sorts of mods for these things! Don't listen to the guys that say sell and buy a jeep. I own a 91 Cherokee, a 96 Grand Cherokee, and two Bronco II's (an 89 and a 90). The Bronco's are cheaper to mod, and just as easy to find parts for as they jeeps, you just gotta get a little more creative and know what to look out for!

First off, as mentioned, join TheRangerStation.com, and also BroncoII.org if you like! Both are good resources with regards to the Bronco II!

The first thing you gotta understand is that a Bronco II is a RBV (Ranger Based Vehicle). This means that pretty much all the drivetrain components are the same (well... not the same, but interchangeable!) on a Bronco II, Ranger, and Explorer, with the exception of driveshafts, since the frames are different lengths. They share some of the same body panels, the same interiors, lots and lots of stuff carries over between them. Thats why its so easy to get parts; cuz there were millions of RBV's made!

Engine swaps are a common mod. The easiest for more power is a 4.0 swap from a 91-94 Explorer. The 2.9 and the 4.0 are in the same family of V6 Engines, so its a bolt in swap, (take the engine and tranny out of the Explorer, and bolt it right into your Bronco II) they even use the same engine mounts. You have to splice a few wires, and thats you up and running! The 4.0 and all its components bolt into the Bronco II just like they did in the Explorer! For example, the radiator and its relevant hoses all bolt up to the Bronco II in the factory spots. The Explorer replaced the BII, so thats why so much carried over.

A 302 also fits pretty good, but there's a bit more work involved. You have to drill a hole or two, use 5.0 Mustang Convertible engine mounts, and thats the engine in. Getting the transfer case to bolt up requires an adapter if you want to use a manual tranny. Wiring is more difficult, you MUST upgrade the rear axle to an 8.8 or you'll rip the 7.5 apart. You have an 89', which has a Dana 28 up front, which should be upgraded to a Dana 35 if you want to do a swap. 90' Bronco II's, and all explorers came with Dana 35's, and they're a direct bolt in swap, so thats easy enough to do. A radiator must be custom mounted, its a whole different job compared to a 4.0 swap really!

Suspension lifts can be accomplished in many different ways. Take explorer leaf springs and mount them out back, and you'll gain around 2in of lift normally. The front coil springs from an explorer will also raise the front of a BII some, although I'm not sure if you gain the same amount as you would with explorer leafs in the back or not. Skyjacker makes a good lift for them, as does James Duff. (check out James Duff for lots of good quality Bronco II parts like bumpers and stuff!)

Some people chop the tops to make them like the big bronco's, some people lower them, I've even seen somebody bolt a Delorian body to the frame of one! :S As with any vehicle, your imagination is basically the limit with these things. Check out TRS and BroncoII.org and you'll be able to get an idea yourself, of what's capable with them!

Hope that helps a little!

thats some great info but I would go to therangerstation.com they have pages of info that will help you decide what you want to build mild or wild

Haha I already have a project Jeep so to the people who said to get a Jeep :flipoff2: I'm wanting to start on the Bronco soon. I'm not wanting to do an engine swap anytime soon because the motor runs so good. It only has 84,385 miles on it. My brother bought it brand new and just wanted it out of his way. He has too many projects. The reason I'm wanting to get a bunch of free mods out of it is because I already have 33's mounted on 5x4.5 wheels and I have access to all the angle grinders, welders etc I need. Hoping to get started on this very soon! I put a starter on it because the old one was burnt up. I don't have to run it off to get it started now. Thanks for all the help and info!

Haha I already have a project Jeep so to the people who said to get a Jeep :flipoff2: I'm wanting to start on the Bronco soon. I'm not wanting to do an engine swap anytime soon because the motor runs so good. It only has 84,385 miles on it. My brother bought it brand new and just wanted it out of his way. He has too many projects. The reason I'm wanting to get a bunch of free mods out of it is because I already have 33's mounted on 5x4.5 wheels and I have access to all the angle grinders, welders etc I need. Hoping to get started on this very soon! I put a starter on it because the old one was burnt up. I don't have to run it off to get it started now. Thanks for all the help and info!

No problem, sounds good! I guess if your brother was the original owner then it probably does have only 84k miles on it... but thats LOWW! Mine only has 82 ;) ;) haha more like 182k! but yea, maintain that engine and it'll go for ages! They're only troublesome if you really abuse them and don't change the fluids and do regular maintenance!

You should be able to get those 33's under there fairly easily. A small lift and some trimming and they'll fit no problem! You can fit 31's from the factory on the 89 and 90's with no rubbing.

One question though, how clean is that thing? If its really only got 84k on it, then its probably pretty clean! These things sell for pretty big money in nice condition! Might want to think twice about cutting up a mint one! Just sayin!

No problem, sounds good! I guess if your brother was the original owner then it probably does have only 84k miles on it... but thats LOWW! Mine only has 82 ;) ;) haha more like 182k! but yea, maintain that engine and it'll go for ages! They're only troublesome if you really abuse them and don't change the fluids and do regular maintenance!
You should be able to get those 33's under there fairly easily. A small lift and some trimming and they'll fit no problem! You can fit 31's from the factory on the 89 and 90's with no rubbing.
One question though, how clean is that thing? If its really only got 84k on it, then its probably pretty clean! These things sell for pretty big money in nice condition! Might want to think twice about cutting up a mint one! Just sayin!

Yeah it definitely does have 84,XXX. He was a truck driver for 20 or so years and his trucking company was just down the road from his house and he used it just to drive it to work and leave it there when he was on trips and then bring it back home when he got home. It's going to need a paint job and a left front fender(damn vandals). It's sat outside all its life so it needs a little attention. Other than that though this bronco is immaculate. I'm really digging the flat tan b2 that was posted up there. I believe I want to do this one I have the same color.

Yeah it definitely does have 84,XXX. He was a truck driver for 20 or so years and his trucking company was just down the road from his house and he used it just to drive it to work and leave it there when he was on trips and then bring it back home when he got home. It's going to need a paint job and a left front fender(damn vandals). It's sat outside all its life so it needs a little attention. Other than that though this bronco is immaculate. I'm really digging the flat tan b2 that was posted up there. I believe I want to do this one I have the same color.

Alright, sounds cool then! I've seen some crazy BII prices on eBay of late, so just wanted to make sure you weren't gonna hack apart one that was worth decent $$$! :D

Ideas

As Mtrhd0024 said, there are endless possibilities. sounds like you are no amatuer though (like i am). Some things i personally did to my 1990 ford bronco 2 eddie bauer edition was a bright blue paint job. Cost me about 80 dollars, did it myself. I put some shackles on the rear after putting some '92 explorer (4 leafs) leaf springs on the rear. I did regret not going with the 5 leafs instead however. That put my clearance just right for 33's. As for the front though, i am not satisfied with my twin I beam front axle when im off roadin. It hops too much. It is pretty strong, i have the 35 front, but if i had some extra time and money i would definately do a swap. The jeep cherokee front i hear is an easy swap, and cheap. Do not need to worry about changing your 5 on 4.5 lug pattern either. I got some doors off of a ford ranger from the junk yard and cut them to make some nice half doors for the summer, they worked out great! and makes it look pretty sweet. I made a custom front bumper that would be easier to pull from if i ever broke down (came in handy this past weekend when i broke down in moab on a trail). I love the space in a B-2 and i love the comfurtable ride. My motor/gears have a tough time pushing brand new 32" tires however and i get bad gas mileage but It has been a GREAT off roadin rig.
IMG_2196.jpg
[/IMG]

I have got an explorer 8.8 with new 4.56 gears and a dana 35 ttb setup with 4.56 gears. Both gears brand new. Ill make u a deal on the set if your interested. Also have manual lockouts for the front. Also have f150 coils sring spacers for the front, which is a common way to get about two inches in the front. My number is 704 675 1980. Give me a call. Im not far from hickory.

Back