Bending chromoly

thexjfiles

Can you heat and bend chromoly steel just like regular bar stock? I have an RE trackbar, and I need to straighten out one of the bends. Can I just heat with torch and try to straighten it out. Will it compromise the strength of the trackbar?
thanks.....

it will compromise the strength if you heat it.

If you heat it, wrap it throughly in a fiberbglass blanket afterwards and let it cool slowly

RE makes their suspension parts from CroMo? That's a new one..

RE makes their suspension parts from CroMo? That's a new one..

Nope, always been the case on the track bars.

I would take the pieces and build a new one. It is definitely better than trying to straighten that one. Straightening them seldom works correctly with the stretch that the tube already saw during bending.....

Track bar...

I just bolted on a Rustys Track bar bracket (frame end), and now my RE track bar really needs to be forward about one inch to fit right in the middle of the bracket. Thats why Ive been wondering about taking a little out of the bend.
thanks for the replies....

Yes you can heat and bend chromoly the only thing that's going to happen is you going to lose 10 points of hardness on the hardness scale but the way you got to do it is you heat it up bend it to where you want and then post heated bring the heat down slowly and then just let the air cool the rest away do not cool it down let it cool down on its own and normalize

People created the same time as this thread are getting their learner permit to drive...

Back