79-85 chevy cab swap

itllmakeit

Getting ready to replace my 4wd 79 chevy cab with a 2wd 85 chevy cab. Has anyone done something like this? I am wanting to know if this will work or if I am barking up the wrong tree. I know I will have to cut a hole in floor board of cab for transfer case shifter. I also plan too use the same 79 front clip.
-------------------------
The main question I am asking is whether or not a 2wd cab will work and if my 79 front clip will bolt up to the 85 cab?

Does your 85 cab have the removable floor section over the transmission like the 79 does? If so, then you should be able to bolt that section right into the 85 so the hole for the T-case shifter will already be there.

Might want to ask the rest of your question on ColoradoK5.com. I am sure plenty of people there know how GM body parts and frames interchange between different year models.

later tranny tunnels were not removeable. i think the cut off was '80

Well I am gonna go for it. Got an 83 cab and a 79 parts truck. Between all three trucks, I should be able to get something going in the right direction. Will have to cut the whole for the transfer case but that is alright considering there is little surface rust on the cab. The donor truck was useful after labor day weekend at Uwharrie.

Attachments

• DSC01109-2.JPG
    DSC01109-2.JPG
    40.7 KB · Views: 659
  • DSC01233-2.JPG
    DSC01233-2.JPG
    24.7 KB · Views: 607
The process has begun. The 83 cab and 78 front clip and 79 doors are working so far. Now the wiring is another deal but I am managing. Just wanting to let all know it is possible to this point to convert the years. The tansfer case tunnel did have to be cut out but I am using the tunnel that I removed from the 78 cab.

Attachments

• cab on.JPG
    cab on.JPG
    20.1 KB · Views: 697
  • together.JPG
    together.JPG
    17.1 KB · Views: 586
Yes I do. Will get some pix of the tunnel work posted today or tomorrow. By the way...Does anyone have any good pointers on getting a winshield out of the rubber gasket WITHOUT breaking the glass? I have tried twice and was unsucessful. I gotta get me a windshield in or I will be eatin bugs...

yager said:
looks cool good info got any pics of the tunnel area ? (post a little bigger pics if you can, hard to see much)

Here are those pix of the tunnel area. It is still work in progress but it appears that it is going too work.

Attachments

• DSC01946.JPG
    DSC01946.JPG
    28.3 KB · Views: 540
  • DSC01945.JPG
    DSC01945.JPG
    28.1 KB · Views: 598
  • DSC01944.JPG
    DSC01944.JPG
    24.9 KB · Views: 552
Back