1995 Chevy 1/2 ton to 3/4 ton

marvilusone

I was looking to put a 14 bolt under my C1500 2wd. If I get one out of a same body style truck will it be the same width as my 10 bolt?

On the front I would like to convert over to 8 lug to match the 14 bolt. I already need new rotors on my truck so could I just get rotors and calipers for the same model year but for a C2500 instead of a C1500? Are the bearings and spindles the same? If not can I swap C2500 spindles and everything attached to them onto my C1500 A arms?

Not sure on the 2wd model, but on the 4wd the front end can be swapped. For a 4wd you need spindles and lower control arms and cv axles. The rear should be same. Maybe slightly wider but the spring perches are the same. As for the front I would just call your local parts store and get the part numbers for the ball joints. If they are the same numbers you should be able to swap the 2500 spindles straight in.

the rear axle will swap, make sure its from a 2wd as the leaf perch width is different. (BTDT)

The front will be a whole nother deal. Im not sure if the control arms are the same, but you will definitly need to swap spindles etc..

Not sure on the 2wd model, but on the 4wd the front end can be swapped. For a 4wd you need spindles and lower control arms and cv axles. The rear should be same. Maybe slightly wider but the spring perches are the same. As for the front I would just call your local parts store and get the part numbers for the ball joints. If they are the same numbers you should be able to swap the 2500 spindles straight in.

I did the swap on mine all i needed was the knuckle and an upper ball joint everything else bolted up

But yours is 4wd. Mines 2wd. I can convert mine over to the 7200GVW parts with just swapping rotors but that will only give me 6 lug which would work if I can find a 6 lug 14 bolt.

I did the swap on mine all i needed was the knuckle and an upper ball joint everything else bolted up
I have always heard that didnt work? So you are saying you took these parts off a 2500 and bolted them to your 1500 and now have an 8 lug front? got any pics of this process? this might be a cool swap.

I second that question. I want to swap my yukon over for several reasons. One is a rear disc coversion is available for the 14bolt, and the other is for a cheap regear. I also want matching wheel bolt patterns though if I swap the rear I have to do the front. From my research though you have to swap the lower control arms, cv axles, and spindles. If its just upper ball joints and spindles I will be doing this very soon.

im my experience, the lowers are more/less the same but the 8600#+ has a heavier stamping. On my 2004 G3550 (same suspension as trucks) Its a cast iron cast lower arm. 1/2 tons got a stamped steel. I do know on the 2wds the 8600#+ had a different ball joint. My bro has my old 7200# C2500 (aka heavy 1/2) 6lug and it was a nice truck. Most of those parts are 1/2 ton upgrade swappable.

Again to point out, check the thickness of the stampings, more so that the design. Also check the part numbers on things like ball joints, bushings etc..

Thats what I did. I work for a parts store so checking numbers is easy. In fact thats what I do to pass time on slow days. I looked up the ball joints for the 2500 suburban being that its the closest thing to my yukon. The uppers and lowers and different. The uppers will fit my control arms. The bolt pattern on them is the same. The lowers I am not sure of the difference. I have not compared them side by side.

Did you stock cv axles fit or were the spline counts different? I want to get this done pretty soon, so any info you have would be greatly appreciated.

Does anyone have pics of actually doing this? Once again I had heard this didnt work, not to mention the control arms are different and the truck frame mounts are different. Does anyone have an actual list of the parts you need and how to do this (not what you think is going to work, but actual proof of swapping GM 2500 IFS parts onto a 1500).

Im assuming this is for towing? If so, I always wondered what the difference is between a 1500 and a 2500 chevy frame is. Also, how affective it would be to convert the 1/2 ton to 3/4 ton for towing...even if you had the axles, springs, and HB brakes

After checking the "Beast Inc" website for the"XL Beast" calling BS is in order, it states... "The rear now holds a AAM 11.5" 35 spline 14 bolt from a 2001 2500HD It is geared to 4.88's to match the front and has a limited slip and disk brakes. Since the rear axle is 8 lug, new 6 to 8 lug adaptors were installed on the front to match. It now runs 36x12.5 Hummer H1 tires"

I also did a little more research, almost everything under a 2500 front end is different from a 1500, the front center section, CV's, upper and lower control arms, torsion bars, brakes, rotors, spindles, frame mounts...

anyone can buy some 6 lug to 8 lug adaptors, but has anyone actually done this swap?

I worked for a salvage company that does parts for insurance repair work. They have a very detailed parts interchange system. The front differential is interchangable for sure. Or at least for a semi wide range of years. The upper control arms list different part numbers, but the arm itself is the same, the ball joint is whats different. The cv axles are differnt, but not much. The differnece is the length and its not much. The spindles are different and the unit bearings are different. The lower control arms are different, but by dimensions they look like they should interchange. The 2500 arms are just a little stronger. The lower ball joints are different. The torsion bars are different, but they will for sure interchange. The only difference in them is the spring rate. So with all that, and that info is all from doing some simple research, it should be a bolt on swap. I have not done it yet, and would like to see one done before I start buying parts, but it should be a bolt on deal.

The frames are different. The interchange does not tell what the differences are though. Wish I knew for sure. I would love to do this swap. I also would like to swap my current vortec small block for a vortec 454 but can not get a solid answer on what all is involved on that either.

Back