Military Vehicles Thread

We have put over 1,000 miles on the black HMMWV so far, it's currently listed on ebay but have a couple locals that have shown some interest in buying it, hopefully it gets sold soon. Pulled the tan one in the shop, got the whole slantback top, windshield frame, hood/grille and various other pieces removed on Friday. It will be a full body-off restoration, the plan is to get the body and all the pieces powdercoated. It will be getting a 6.5 Turbo engine with 4l80e overdrive, and of course A/C.

IMG_1709.jpeg
IMG_1717.jpeg

IMG_20160914_163309502.jpg

dang it takes a lot to squat on of those tires!!!

dang it takes a lot to squat on of those tires!!!

(the tan HMMWV has a flat tire)

The black HMMWV weighed in at about 5600 lbs, that was with aluminum wheels and no runflats though, but with A/C, heavy rubber floormats, heavier seats, and a spare tire/wheel (with runflat). HMMWV's are not as heavy as most people think, the slantback HMMWV's start getting up there in weight but the tan one should be about 7k as it sits in the picture.

Here is a picture of the black one, I sold it to some guys out in New Mexico, we actually delivered it to them as well. Yes, the picture makes it look much better than it actually is, the guy that took this picture is a professional photographer.

14444637_742434369229063_3503011719656233976_o.jpg

So are these tittled for the street? I understood you could buy them but still not for highway use.

I saw a black H1 with some type of diesel in Matthew's yesterday. We were still outside eating and he drove by.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

So are these tittled for the street? I understood you could buy them but still not for highway use.
And THAT is what makes him money on these ventures :cool:

And THAT is what makes him money on these ventures :cool:

That and the fact it was a full body-off and full drive train swap :)

Depending on your local DMV inspector, yes you can get them titled.

I may build one with a Cummins at some point, but building one with a duramax is not a great idea IMO. Takes away the ruggedness and the point of a HMMWV to add all those electronics.

That and the fact it was a full body-off and full drive train swap :)

While not saying that ISN'T a factor, that's secondary. If you weren't able to get a title you would NOT be investing the time/money. You know the loopholes/procedures to get one titled. Most wont concern themselves enough to do the legwork. That alone is a money maker

Long drive home in this from Charleston, WV. Sprung an oil leak along the way so I have to figure out what is leaking and fix it. Very odd driving truck, the very front axle steers but it also has a forced articulating center. Backing up was way weirder than driving forward though, you have to steer backwards of what you would think.

13411858_10206282853379606_410924871504942357_o.jpg

Long drive home in this from Charleston, WV. Sprung an oil leak along the way so I have to figure out what is leaking and fix it. Very odd driving truck, the very front axle steers but it also has a forced articulating center. Backing up was way weirder than driving forward though, you have to steer backwards of what you would think.

View attachment 231747

Only the front steers? Is there a different model where both front axles steer?

Those are cook no clue what I would do with one but they are Cool

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

put a truck camper on the front section and rig on the rear section.

The Mk48 and HEMTT look very similar, the cabs are basically the same (at least to people that don't know the differences).

The MK steers with the front axle and forced articulating center. It steers MUCH better but it kind of quirky to drive, especially on curvy roads or when backing up.

The HEMTT is a straight frame truck, no pivot in the center, but BOTH front axles steer. The HEMTT is a much simpler designed truck because of the lack of center pivot, but maneuverability suffers greatly.

Only the marines used the MK, the army never had them.

put a truck camper on the front section and rig on the rear section.
Kinda not possible
The motor sits behind the passengers which would render the whole center part of a truck camper useless.

Another cool thing (although a pain to do an not very practical) about the MK48 is that the front unit can be disconnected and connected to different rear units. I have another MK48 that is a wrecker, has a crane and a huge winch, outriggers, and a few other cool things. The front unit on it is like new (literally), but the rear needs some things fixed, needs 4 tires and some hydraulic valves fixed.

I will likely end up selling the above truck eventually, but plan to keep the wrecker as it is very nice being able to lift heavy stuff.

The front unit is VERY odd to drive when disconnected (you can't go fast safely)

resize.jpg

@CasterTroy I am going to bring it by your house and let it leak on your driveway. Should keep all the libtards away.

Here it is up at my land this afternoon. Drove it the rest of the way home today, going to unload it tomorrow and get it cleaned up and ready for the parade on Saturday. I backed in my driveway on the first try this evening, I think that in my head I WANT to back it up like a trailer, but you don't have to so it's really hard. EVERY time I back up I turn the wrong way. I got the extra cab, 5 (MK) tires, two HMMWV air conditioning kits, and 2 (MK) filter kits with the truck. It also has a big hydraulic jack I am eager to test out, I could really use it to change some tires on my other MK.

IMG_20161122_155509526.jpg

Drove in from the right side of the truck, passenger front tire first. Had to go forward/back numerous times to get it positioned where the passenger rear would actually hit the truck and not run off the side.

I can now say that I have had at least one axle completely off the ground on an 8x8, WITH a HMMWV loaded on the back. This MK48 will do amazing things off road for a truck it's size, VERY maneuverable.

IMG_20161123_133222557.jpg

Back