Don't push that button!

ProbablyBroke

does not torque to spec
I bought a 1995 f250 with the 7.3 last year. When I asked the previous owner if both fuel tanks worked, he stated that he never used the rear tank because he only drove it around town and to the boat landing. I believe him. Who knows. I think he owned the truck for 4 or 5 years. Since I have had the truck, I have only run fuel from the front tank. I'd like to be able to run both tanks or at least know the rear works / is clean. This truck paranoias the shit outta me. What would you do before/after you tried the rear tank?

Got a fuel filter? Whats the risk of trying it? If the fuel is gummed up, it won't flow. If its bad fuel , the truck won't run as well but you'll know everything else works. Try it!

Do it and report back...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May be too soon to be conclusive. Flipped the switch. Watched the fuel needle drop to about a 1/4 tank. Took her for a spin to Lowes. All I can say for certain is that she did not explode. Yet.
If the gauge works for both tanks, you've found a unicorn. My dad and I have owned 6 Fords with dual tanks through the years, and NEVER had one where BOTH sending units work.

Are both tanks 20 gallon? If I start getting close to E on the front tank , it will usually only take 15 gallons to be full. What I found online said dual tanks were 20 gallons each.

Are both tanks 20 gallon? If I start getting close to E on the front tank , it will usually only take 15 gallons to be full. What I found online said dual tanks were 20 gallons each.

Every time I fill up when on E I get between 30-32 gallons between the two tanks.
Tanks are 18 or 19 gallons each when dry though.
I am also driving a unicorn apparently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 90 both tanks are 19 gallons. That's running them until they hiccup and then switching on the fly. I can get an extra gallon in the rear tank mainly into the connector hose if I leave the truck running while fueling

I just did the same to my 96 after it sat for a few years. A couple things will happen if you try it 1) You'll find out it works 2) You'll find out it doesn't work 3) If #2, it'll either be a gummed up tank, that you'll be dropping $300ish on for tank and all accessories, or the switch itself is bad, or the selector valve will be bad.

Mine ended up being a gummed up tank. Also a 460 instead of a 7.3 though.

I ran the rear tank down as far as my nerves would let me. Got to the gas station and she took 14.3 gallons. I don't know if this truck even has a low fuel light. I treated the fuel with crc fuel therapy and intend to change the filter once I run a few hundred miles. I did get a little hasty and push the tank selector button through the dash.

My 96 never held more than 15 in the back, even though all the literature I found said it was bigger than the front tank. My front tank usually held about 19.

As usual, I spoke too soon. Up until the beginning of this week, I had never noticed an fuel leaking under the rear tank. Went ahead and dropped the spare tire and planning to drop the tank to investigate. Probably get frisky with a few cans of rustoleum while I'm under there.

I ran the rear tank down as far as my nerves would let me. Got to the gas station and she took 14.3 gallons. I don't know if this truck even has a low fuel light. I treated the fuel with crc fuel therapy and intend to change the filter once I run a few hundred miles. I did get a little hasty and push the tank selector button through the dash.
The standard in OBS trucks is 15 rear, 19 front.

Back