Brake line help

93redzj

so I was changing out the soft lines on my jeep today and on the rear passenger side, the hard line broke on me. Now my plan was just use a coupling and flare nut on the line. Insert coupling into soft line and flare hard line and run the nut up on the coupling. However, I can't find a damn coupling that will work. Does anyone have suggestions?? I've been to AutoZone and lowes hardware, napa was closed by the time I got there

Attachments

• IMG_3451.JPG
    IMG_3451.JPG
    155.3 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_3452.JPG
    IMG_3452.JPG
    151.4 KB · Views: 212
If it broke that easy, it'll break again that easy. It would be worth it to replace the entire line.

Replace the whole line. You can get sections at lengths and use df couplings to join them, or buy a roll of the green line or my favorite, NiCopp. Also, it's worth it to get an inline flare tool if you go the bulk roll route. Don't use the multi size flare tool, it's a waste of time and material. OEM 24364 looks like it. Search it.

Thanks for that Fabrik8 in the description for those it's mentions for a Cherokee with no abs. I imagine there's not much difference between cherokee and grand Cherokee in the line itself but mine does have abs, would it really matter?

It probably does. Most Xjs came with a 8.25 rear unless it had abs, in which case it'll be a d35. I hadn't realized it was only the line on the axle. Just go get premade sections and just hand bend it and go. No flaring required. They sell 10,16,20,30,40,50" lengths or so.

I patched a line 3 times in one weekend just trying to get the truck home. When I finally did get it home I replaced the entire line and considered it a lesson learned.

Yes I am learning many lessons with these brakes here lately. Such as the one where I completely over looked the soft line being the issue to begin with, blew through 2 sets of pads, changed calipers, MC then found out the line was bad to begin with and had now contaminated the entire system. Therefor I am changing all soft lines, all 4 calipers and now get to replace the hard line I broke in the process. All this trouble could have been avoided had I checked and replaced the one soft line to begin with

I was responding to a post that just completely disappeared after I replied.. Cool.

Why did the post get deleted?

Last edited:
Yeah lol sorry, I got it figured out. But yeah I just bought another short line and put a union in to connect the two hard lines then put a "T" in to run the other two hard lines to the calipers. Thanks for the help though! And that would have been the line I needed it looks like

Back