Kodak Rock Scoping Letter

krzyabncanuck

BLM HOTSHOT
Attached and inserted below is a request for comment on a proposal to permanently close a section of the Rocky Mountain Loop OHV Trail in the Badin Lake Recreation Area in the area known as Kodak Rock. Please review the description and map and provide comments by September 23rd. Thank you for your interest in the Uwharrie National Forest.

Dear Uwharrie National Forest User:

The Uwharrie National Forest is proposing to permanently close, decommission, and stabilize a section of the Rocky Mt. Loop Trail (TR 92) in the area known as Kodak Rock. This project is located in the Badin Lake Recreation Area on the Badin Lake Off-Highway Vehicle (OHV) Trail System approximately 15 miles northwest of Troy in Montgomery County, North Carolina.

The project includes closing and decommissioning an estimated 0.85 mile of the Rocky Mt. Loop Trail between the intersections with Slab Pile Trail (TR 79) and Sawmill Trail (TR 93), with 0.35 mile to be stabilized and rehabilitated within the closed section of trail, from the intersection of Slab Pile Trail to Kodak Rock. Permanent barricades would be installed at the closure points and drainage structures would be installed along with geotextile and fill material to minimize erosion. This section of the trail would be closed in order to protect sensitive resource sites within the area.

Currently, the total mileage on the Badin Lake Motorized Trail System is 16.9 miles. This project would reduce the Rocky Mt. Loop Trail from a current mileage of 2.8 to 1.95 miles. See the attached project area map for the details and location of this project.

If you have comments, questions or concerns regarding the proposed action, you should send your replies by September 23, 2016 to:

Theresa Savery, District Recreation Staff

Uwharrie National Forest Service

789 NC Highway 24/27 East

Troy, NC 27371

tsavery@fs.fed.us

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Not surprised at all.

Did not get the map to this one either but it really is not needed as we know the area very well as it has been shut down for years.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Yeah somewhere there's a thread about this and I believe the words the FS used back then we're "temporary closure" and the words NC4X4 members used were a bit more accurate...

Last edited:
Has anyone walked the trail to kodak rock since it closed?

My gut feels like the trail will look like it did the season before they closed it off years ago. Maybe at the jamboree or veteran's ride I am going to have me a walk about and see it with my own eyes if there is any evidence of activity :rolleyes:

Has anyone walked the trail to kodak rock since it closed?

My gut feels like the trail will look like it did the season before they closed it off years ago. Maybe at the jamboree or veteran's ride I am going to have me a walk about and see it with my own eyes if there is any evidence of activity :rolleyes:

We were up there removing guardrail this year. It has not changed much. I really wish there could be a reroute to keep Rocky Mountain Loop a loop but I doubt there is any way to see it happen. Are we supposed to mail a letter or can we email using the supplied address.

I sent an email asking if we could have the short climb up the hill past budweiser rock? (Is that right? ) to the Kodak area and the trail dead end above that. Talked about how it's safer area to crawl around with kids vs Daniel and by having the trail dead end it would be less guard rail and maintenance needed. May not help but it wouldn't hurt to take 10 min and send a similar email.

Email sent. I never realized how helpful that section was to get around quickly up there. I'd like to see it brought away from the areas that are in question but still link those too trails and still be a loop......

Hope this works!

Attachments

• Kodak_Rock_Proposed_Action_Map_05262016.pdf
    545.9 KB · Views: 333
Back