All this POP-up talk

I spent $5K on mine, it's an '05 and was exactly what I was looking for. Except for one semi minor issue I need to address, it was very well maintained, much of it in like new condition. Search tempest and "slide in Truck camper" are your friends. I found mine in Norfolk after 2-3 years looking off and on.
I did find a new on I liked at the RV show this year, it was $50k. :eek:

I spent $5K on mine, it's an '05 and was exactly what I was looking for. Except for one semi minor issue I need to address, it was very well maintained, much of it in like new condition. Search tempest and "slide in Truck camper" are your friends. I found mine in Norfolk after 2-3 years looking off and on.
I did find a new on I liked at the RV show this year, it was $50k. :eek:
But they will finance it to you for $68 a month for 20 years.... It's such a good deal

When I went to get mine I had cash but the guy said we have 0% for 24 months so I took his free money just have to watch the fine print at 25 months they backdated all the interest from all 24 months of not paid off on full

I'm with you on the news ones I looked at some really nice basic slide ins new. And when I mean basic no shower or bathroom able to go in an 8ft bed without it hanging over the bed at all. And there sticker price was almost 20,000 [emoji33]

RV show at GSO....NICE one on the back of a Dodge dually crew. Didn't think much about it as I walked up to it...but inside you could have 6 adults standing comfortably (actually it was my daughter and I, a salesman and a couple inside when I went in)

The thing was [donald trump voice] HUUUUGE

Stepped out to realize it was hanging off the back of the truck like 4ft and had a sticker of $58,000 If I'm not mistaken it was the Eagle cap truck camper with slide outs and all.

DAYUM!

I just need a dry bed and maybe a place to stand up and change clothes. (a place to poop and wash my dirty ass is optional)

A sink is nice at the beach and to wash your hands and face after riding it takes me all of 5 min. To winterize I just turn the knob to drain the tank turn the facet on and blow the lines flip through low point drain open and unscrew one line to the mumps by hand

RV show at GSO....NICE one on the back of a Dodge dually crew. Didn't think much about it as I walked up to it...but inside you could have 6 adults standing comfortably (actually it was my daughter and I, a salesman and a couple inside when I went in)

The thing was [donald trump voice] HUUUUGE

Stepped out to realize it was hanging off the back of the truck like 4ft and had a sticker of $58,000 If I'm not mistaken it was the Eagle cap truck camper with slide outs and all.

DAYUM!

I just need a dry bed and maybe a place to stand up and change clothes. (a place to poop and wash my dirty ass is optional)
CTB Big Creek JAN 2016 079.jpg
CTB Big Creek JAN 2016 080.jpg
CTB Big Creek JAN 2016 079.jpg CTB Big Creek JAN 2016 080.jpg

Ya the place I got mine had one like that it was crazy only reason I see to get out early of those it if you like going out on the beach or something otherwise just get a rv

I sure don't want to break any rules by cross-posting a for-sale item here, so I won't. BUT...if you want something that can be used on a trailer, OR as a truck camper....there might be something under "Misc"...heck of a lot less than 50k ;)

I went to look at this one friday

Slide-In Camper For Small Truck

Looked great in the pictures. And right at the threshold of my budget. Went to see it in person and what a turd! Turns out the pics were 4 yrs old and it had been severely damaged (took 30 minutes to get to that). I attempted to see it the weekend before last, but his excuse was "it's all covered up and I haven't had time to get the tarp off of it with all this wet weather"

Then, this week I wanted to see it saturday....same excuse. That's how I found out the pics were 4 years old. But I still wanted to see it. I told my wife what I was doing, and she wanted to go along. Wasn't really going to drag her along because this is something she will likely not go along with me in (just wanted something better than a tent for CTB trips) but I'm glad she went.

We arrived and saw it down in the back yard with a tarp wrapped around it so tight that it looked like a christmas present. He was STILL reluctant to unwrap it.

I told him I wanted to see it extended. He was hesitant to get up in it claiming he didn't feel comfortable with it on the 3 legs getting in it. I told him I'm not buying site-unseen.

Once unwrapped I noticed the back of the pop-up was warped and arched so bad there was a 2" gap in the center over the door. After 10 min of hemming and hawing he admitted some neighbor kids were snooping around and tried to raise it without unlocking the rear latches and broke the inner wood. He tried to replace it, but it was obvious it was a half-assed job. I didn't need to see any more. By this time my wife had walked back to the truck because she knew what was about to happen.

I hate craigslist!

Last edited:
I too have been thinking about a pop up slide in, they are crazy expensive for what they are. I really don't want a big pile of problems like the one you found either.

Well @Jason W. there's hope! (save all this reading for later and scroll to the pics while you're in that van-o-tools rollin down the hiway :D)

My personal experiences with craigslist have always been very good ones. Never had a bad one honestly. But the experience above your reply was disappointing. Really, I should have taken pictures to show the gross misrepresentation of that guys ad. I mean....my wife and I ventured over to deliverance-ville (I swear the dude must have been playing the banjo on that mower, his whole spread was straight out of that movie) and saw the worst of the worst for a reason I guess. I just wanted something better than a tent....and I guess my standards were kinda low (along with my presumed budget) so if she hadn't wanted to go, I might have hit the guy with $1000 and took it home. Hell, he might have TAKEN that :eek:
Good thing he didn't! But because she saw what she did, she told me I REALLY needed a bigger budget :eek: SWEET :D

I came home about 6pm or so on friday from Mocksville (50 min away from home) kinda down in the mouth with lowered expectations. Once home I sit down on my chair and my wife takes a seat on the sofa. We're waiting for our middle child to get home to go get some dinner, when I decide I'll just peruse the ole intraweb thingy on my phone. Craigslist->Winston-Salem->Slide in camper
With very little actual HOPE of anything new, the very first pic is one of a 2003 Starcraft pop-up for a 6ft bed. I dang-near leap out of the chair! My wife asked if something bit me....and I tell her no, then show her the pic. She immediately says "Well CALL them!!!"
While scrolling I notice it's in Mocksville (exactly where we JUST came back from)
Now, keep in mind, it had JUST been listed. I mean literally JUST hit, because it was NOT in the search que at 4:00 when I did my last search from the office prior to leaving for the day friday.
Anyway, I open saying that I was calling about the slide in that he just listed (instead of the typical first question "have ya still got it?") and wondered when I could take a look. He said he had planned to pull it out and get it ready tomorrow (sat) and I was welcome to come then. Problem was, My youngest had a horse show sat from 9am-2pm in Blowing rock. I knew THIS bad boy wouldn't last. I explained my situation, and he was so nice and accommodating and agreed to let us come out and look at it before 9pm and leave him a deposit for monday if he was willing to hold it. He was. And in talking I came to realize, that this was in fact PJ from @M&M Offroad who was the seller. I mean, short of my hero @amcjeepman selling me HIS, I don't think I could have hit a bigger jackpot!
I was like a 9yr old being told I was getting a motorcycle for christmas kind of excited, but I was SHOCKED to see my wife eager to jump up, drive another hour to go see another camper, after the experience we JUST had, and the fact that, as mentioned before....my lovely bride is in fact, a princess that doesn't "camp". The fact that she had any interest in seeing the FIRST one at all came as a shock to me, but....SO glad she did, because after seeing what a turd it was, she was now making it her mission to make sure what I got was worthy of her royal hiney sitting on the couch inside :lol:
I get to PJ's and almost forget I'm there to look at a camper. His spread is exactly what I would describe to a realtor as what I want my next home to be! Complete with nice shop, and way back in the country away from people (I hate people)...anyway....back on topic! We get out to see the camper and he has the power on it, the AC rockin, and ready to be inspected. It was MUCH nicer (and MUCH BIGGER) than expected. Very clean. Very well kept, and under a roof behind his shop on a concrete pad. The very best I could have imagined.
My wife was overly impressed. She sat on the couch and there was NO sign of any disdain. In fact, she really liked it, and gave me the smile and nod (meaning "I approve, now negotiate a hell of a deal") So I told PJ I'd take it, shook hands and left him some cash for monday. But I WAS concerned about the front posts not clearing the dually fenders (wasn't made for a dually)
PJ asks for some dimensions when I get home, and is willing to make me a plate.
I get a txt the next day with this pic:

IMG_5993.jpg

I'm SO VERY fortunate that I'm buying this from a guy with his own metal fab shop!!!

So monday comes and I head his way after work with cash in hand. We start mounting the hold-downs and there's a problem...again the mounting plates were not MADE for a dually. CRAP!!

So again, PJ goes off to do what PJ does, and voila!

20160614_075457.jpg

Custom dually mounting brackets.....I'm SO VERY fortunate that I'm buying this from a guy with his own metal fab shop!!!

Did I say that already?

Anyway...we get it loaded and I'm on my way!

I get home and pop her up and check her out....and am VERY PLEASED!!!!:rockon:

camp3.jpg

camp1.jpg

camp2.jpg

But there IS only one thing........

SO

MUCH

WHITE!!!!!

Also be sure to paint the camper black to match the truck.

I think you're on to something brother :rockon:

Back