My Coil Spring Falls Out....

noodle010

So I got a Jeep Cherokee on full widths 44 front, 60 rear (for now) It's on a Rusty 8" 4 Link long arm. My problem is it flexes so much the coil spring will fall out. Ive thought about limiting straps but not sure the best setup.......Ive seen limiting straps on right beside the shock then I seen center link setup with the limiting straps connected at the center of the axle...... Then I've thought about building a a hockey puck setup to help contain the coil, but won't limit the flex.

So Im not sure what to do, What would yall recommend?

Attachments

• 12976461_1221054504574432_386070025_n.jpg
    12976461_1221054504574432_386070025_n.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 268
I just fixed this issue on mine from the last trip when I lost a 2"puck without knowing it on the trail :lol:. I just extended the center coil bucket retainer to be plenty long enough so the spring won't come out up top and at the bottom I've had little L brackets welded over the spring on 2sides to hold it in place and that has worked great. I didn't go the limiting straps route as I thought it defeats the purpose of full articulation and just trimmed my crossmember to clear the driveshaft at full droop along with what i said earlier. Keep the flex is my opinion!!

Either limit the travel or get springs with a longer free length, or change the spring location to reduce the motion ratio. The last two options will require a change in spring rate to do properly. Seems backwards to limit the travel unless you don't actually need it. Also seems backwards to have travel after the spring is unseated. You're not getting much traction if your spring is unseated (or too short and stretched with a retainer under the axle and wheel weight).

The location of the limiting strap changes how it works, and how or whether it interacts with the other wheel. A strap in the middle of the axle doesn't make much sense, unless you're trying to primarily limit the entire axle travel instead of the wheel travel.

Last edited:
Like said above, build up coil retainers, and limit strap. FWIW, I used to think crazy flex was the best, then I have learned from experience if a tire has no weight on it, then it will just sit there and spin, so there is a happy medium between massive flex and limiting flex for traction.

Tack weld the bottom of the spring to the coil bucket.

A simple "Tack" really will not hold that. Needs to be at least a 3" weld.

A simple "Tack" really will not hold that. Needs to be at least a 3" weld.
I was basing my reply on a Millermatic 252 being used. If using a 120v flux core welder a 3" weld would be more appropriate

Maxing out full droop on the suspension only looks cool, as others have said. I would do the retainers and straps as mentioned. Another key thing the straps will do is not max out your shocks. It's bad to have your shocks fully extended just pulling on them with all that weight/leverage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

coil retainers should do the job right?

Only on the bottom. Ya cant capture both ends... you'll "stretch" the spring. Prob not good for it!

Flex is still good. A tire on the rock with no weight is still better than a tire hanging in the air!

This is a good example of how we keep coils in and still get the most flex from a coil setup.
flex.jpg

This has the spring retained on the bottom. Extended inside coil bump. And a limit strap to keep the spring from going beyond the length of the extended "bump".

As stated above, limit he shock first, then the spring. Otherwise you will destroy the shock.

Yea Ill probably make some homemade bump stops with limiting straps, make up some spring retainer clips... Ive been looking at ideas how where to place them....I came across this ( http://www.ericsxj.com/unibody/4532.jpg ) which still lets me use a the factory mount... Im just tired of having to find a spot to flex out just to pop it back in.

Also, whats yalls opinion on Pro Comp Straps ( Limiting Strap - 4 Wheel Parts ) For the price its not bad at all.

Back